need advice from other runners

Options
Your thoughts please................ Today I just finished off w3d3 of c25k. It was a struggle for me. I don't know if maybe I should repeat the week, or try w4 and see what happens. Towards the end of my 3 minute segments, my chest starts getting tight and my heart rate goes up between 177-180, which is max for me. I have really been concentrating on my breathing technique and running form so I am not wasting energy in ways that aren't necessary. I also am having some lateral knee pain (in the area where my fibula comes into the knee area). I am still having some nasal drainage/cough from that stupid cold I had a few weeks ago, and I am hoping that is the reason for the chest tightness. Oddly enough, the knee pain doesn't bother me while I am running, and I have been icing them after working out, as well as taking ibuprofin before and after my workouts.

For those of you not familiar with the program, here is week 3

•run 90 seconds
•Walk 90 seconds
•run 3 minutes
•Walk three minutes
repeat
Week 4 looks like this:

•run 3 minutes
•Walk 90 seconds
•run 5 minutes
•Walk 2-1/2 minutes
•run 3 minutes
•Walk 90 seconds
•run 5 minutes

FYI....I am 47 years old, have never really done much running before, and currently weigh 170 pounds. My walking pace is 3.2 MPH and my running pace is 6 MPH. I warm up for 10 minutes leisurly on the elliptical, then walk for 5 minutes.

Replies