How did you learn to accept compliments?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My foster brother hadn't seen me for a while and he said, "You've lost a lot of weight--you going through a mid-life crisis or something?"

After I stopped laughing, I said, "No, I'm going through a mid-life EXCELLENCE!"

Ha!! This is awesome. I had a friend who lost a bunch of weight due to anxiety (and unfortunately didn't keep it off), so if people ask if something is wrong, I will tell them I'm becoming more excellent. :)
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few compliments so far even though I haven't lost that much yet, but I just say thank you I've been trying it makes me feel good but I know what you mean it's hard to accept them at first
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to hear how so many have difficulty with this. I have been told by different people recently that I look fit, but all I think of when I hear this is the bits of goop I still am working to get rid of. My reactions tend to vary and I need to work at this so I don't come off as an unappreciative dbag. :) I think the process of removing that fat person mindset is almost as big a struggle as losing the weight.
  • StephieClay
    Options
    Yes! Fake it until you make it lol! I smile and say thank you or find a cute/funny way to agree. I haven't loss that much yet but people have already started with the compliments. In my mind I'm like its only 9 lbs, but everyone is so happy for me.

I agree with this! I've lost 51lbs and the compliments still make me uncomfortable sometimes. I'm just not used to it as I spent many years just putting weight on, not taking anything off. I just say "Thank you" and smile and try to start to accept that this is going to happen for awhile until this new sized me is just the "regular" me.
  • Jasmine1995xoxo
    Jasmine1995xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to accept compliments. I doubt very much whether they are genuine. Don't think I ever will accept compliments
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!