The Craziest Treadmill Question in America!

Breathe_Glamour
Breathe_Glamour Posts: 136
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have an iFit treadmill at home, it's electric...this may seem silly, but I'm deathly afraid of walking on it. I don't think I could possibly walk on it without holding on.

Is it possible that this treadmill is not the best one to have? And if it's not the treadmill, then I know it's me, so how do you get over your fear of the thing? Has anyone else had this problem?

I did a search & I didn't see anything for this topic, so if there is something and I missed it, then please forgive me =]

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    The best way to ease into a treadmill when you're afraid ... get on it, THEN start it. If there's a manual setting, you should be able to set your speed right off... just keep walking and try level 1 or speed 1. It's fairly slow...and ease your way up. :happy: I had to really come to grips with my fears of my gym's elliptical. It's not like most ellipticals where it has moving arms...so it was a weeeeird motion at first!!! But I got used to it and now I ROCK IT!! You can do it, girl!!
  • Ok...I'll give it a try, yet again! Thank you LOL.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    start off slow then ease in to it! You will be suprised how easy it really is! and hold on if u have to!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    I agree with starting on manual...thats the only way I can do it!

But I totally understand your fear....I have been using the treadmill occasionally for months now....deathly afraid to actually JOG. I only walk fast....well, yesterday, I jogged!!! 6 times 1.25 minute incriments (sp)! I was sooo proud of myself and it wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.

Just do it when you feel ready, there is no rush....try little by little until you are comfortable going faster...it'll come naturally, when you are ready!

PS. I didnt fall on my butt and go gliding down the belt and across the room like I feared I would! :laugh:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    If you're afraid - hold on. No biggee. Occasionally I get brave enough to let my hands swing freely - but only when I'm walking at a moderate pace... if I'm increasing my speed, I hold on. I figure as I get more fit and more confident it'll be easier... but for now... I'll hold on, thanks!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    acakeforawife - ME TOO!! My family thinks it's nuts but I will NOT go in a revolving door unless I have to and would rather take the 2 1/2 flights of stairs at the mall than the escalator.
  • Oh man, I thought I was the only one who had that crazy fear! ha ha! I was terrified of the treadmill at first (actually I'm scared of anything that moves on its own, like escalators and revolving doors!) Anyway, as others have said I just had to start out reallllly slow and build up. I would get dizzy a bit in the beginning but that went away after awhile. Good luck! :happy:
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    It's not a crazy question, just about everyone has a fear of something! I have been wanting one of those Ifit treadmills for ages. What model do you have? Is it one that has the Google maps? You can do it, you can't let that machine control you! Best of Luck!!
  • Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement - tomorrow is a day where I typically take it easy on my workout, so I'll try the treadmill. I have all day to get over my fear LOL.
  • Good luck girl, please let us all know how it goes. Soon you will be rockin it!
This discussion has been closed.