Spa type suggestions?

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
So I'm getting a reward/bonus for something work-related... it's $200. I know I want to save some and I'm going to use $40 for a massage...but I kind of want something else just to pamper myself. I don't know really ANYTHING about spa treatments and was hoping somebody would have some suggestions!!!

Replies

• arfrazee
    arfrazee Posts: 518
    Options
    Get a facial...almost as relaxing as the massage!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a hot stone massage.
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    Facials are really great like the other person suggested.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is a pedicure (although I've never had a facial)... it feels awesome to reward your feet for all you put them through with constant exercise!
  • jaydedfaery
    Options
    hydrotherapy and a massage...awesome!!!!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I like a Swedish massage when I just want to relax, but when I have sore muscles and want some help relieving the soreness I get a myofascial massage. Below is a blurb about it. Whatever you do, enjoy!:smile:
    Risa

"Myofascial release usually begins with a gentle massage which is designed to warm and loosen muscles. As the therapist works, he or she identifies areas of tension which require further attention, and will return to those areas to stretch and work the fascia. Sometimes myofascial release can be quite intense, especially in the case of muscles which are holding a great deal of tension and stress. After the session, some clients experience slight stiffness and soreness, which will usually vanish over the next few days, leaving behind a sense of well-being.

Myofascial release operates on the principle that many people hold stress in their muscles, which causes the muscles to seize or lock. This is exacerbated by muscle injury and scarring. Myofascial release aims to access these areas of blockage and tension to release them, thereby freeing up the muscle and allowing it to move more easily and effectively. "
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, one detail...Swedish massage uses massage oil and myofascial does not.
    Risa
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I vote for a facial.
  • smileychick32
    Options
    a lot of times you can go to students and get massages, facials, pedicures, manicures, and the like for really cheap. they are supervised by their instructors, so it's as good, if not better than paying full price. my best friend went to the aveda institute and i would go see her for haircuts and eyebrow waxing... together it cost me $22 :) there is a massage school that i used to go to as well and get a hour massage for $25. if you did that, you could get almost everything for $200 or you could just do the few that you wanted and use the rest for a date night out, or something else fun!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    add the hot stones and a pedicure or facial. The wraps make you feel so good too, but I'd go with a pedi or facial!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've done a facial, pedicure, manicure, and various massages, but my ultimate favority was a seaweed wrap while getting a scalp and foot massage, followed by a deep tissue body massage using hot stones. It was AWESOME! :bigsmile: (it was a splurge/pampering while on a cruise - that and I had a 50% off coupon that made it SOOO worth it!). But for just a general massage, definitely the full body deep tissue massage. :happy:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a spa mani and pedi. My feet and hands never looked or felt so good after one of those!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I worked for three years as a receptionist/manager at a salon and spa so I've had the chance to check out basically all of the offerings (at least the offerings at the place I worked). I would recommend making sure that you are getting at least an hour-long massage. If you are looking for full-body relaxation, most massage therapists will need at least 60 minutes. Typically, shorter massages can only focus on one are (just the back, just the legs, etc.). I think anything less than an hour just feels like a total tease!

Facials and nail services are also great. I have never been thrilled with the body wrap/scrub-type treatments. A lot of people equate these with a true "spa experience" so our spa basically HAD to offer them and they definitely sold, but it was rarely because we actually recommended them. They weren't bad services, really. Just not a good "bang for your buck", if you will. This, of course, depends upon the individual services offered at the particular spa. I just didn't ever feel like they were worth the cost.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Full. Body. Exfoliating. Treatment.

Oh my god, it's AWESOME. Usually it's a gentle massage with oils, and then they use a sugar scrub (or other type of scrub) to scrub all your dead skin from your body. Then you shower off with lovely-smelling soap or bodywash, and you come out looking rather pink, but also feeling very clean, very soft, and very relaxed.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Ohhh how fun!!! I've done it all and love it all...but for the money:

Facial....not only does your skin get cleansed but you generally also get some sort of hand, foot or head massage out of it.

If not that, then a body scrub...but its got to be a good one, not a simple one...one that takes lots of steps and well over an hour to complete. And I have to agree with a lady above me who worked for a spa. There are some good ones and some not worth it ones. If you are just getting scrubbed and put in a blanket to sit for a while so everything can soak in, forget it. But if its a whole process....scrub, body mask, oil massage, shower, lotion..then yeah. Totally worth the money. Those tend to run in the $150+ range though.