Getting Sick

Options
Since I have started working out and eating better I've realized that my immune system has gotten weak. I can't fight off stuff as quick anymore. Any suggestions? I heard that multi-vit are suppose to be good for you but last time I took some I ended up gaining weight because I always felt hungry :ohwell:

Replies

• marriola123
    Options
    Vitamin B1 shots do wonders not only do they boost your immune system they give you added energy and don't give you that hungry feeling. I do B1 shots everyweek and take a multi vitamin every other day I hate multi vitamin because I feel weighed down tired sleepy and hungry too but I found the combo with the B1 shots and multi vitamin everyday has increased my energy level by 80%.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum (with folic acid, as hubby and I are planning pregnancy for the not-too-too-distant-future), Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C. I take 1000mg of Vit C daily, which helps me to not get colds. I very rarely catch cold, and I'm a sickly person.

I have a very low immune system naturally, but haven't found that multi-vits have made me hungry at all. Maybe you could try a different one?

And having good snacks at hand to deal with the feeling hungry, is good.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Vitamin B1 shots do wonders not only do they boost your immune system they give you added energy and don't give you that hungry feeling. I do B1 shots everyweek and take a multi vitamin every other day I hate multi vitamin because I feel weighed down tired sleepy and hungry too but I found the combo with the B1 shots and multi vitamin everyday has increased my energy level by 80%.

Vit B shots are great but not for everyone. They should only be given to someone who is actually deficient, otherwise your kidneys filter it right out as excess. It's not a magic bullet.
    I agree you should try a different blend/brand and Vit C supplements if you are sickly. Or better yet, eat an orange! Vit C plus fiber!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Cod Liver Oil everyday ... My immune system has gotten MUCH better from eating better & working out. Try eating foods that are Vitamin C rich (or even just 8 oz. of orange juice everyday)...add fruits & veggies and you should see improvement.
  • edmanski
    edmanski Posts: 8
    Options
    Sometimes a cold is just a cold. Yet something I've found to be Very helpful is "Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar". Just a teaspoon in a glass of water every morning and you'll help alkalize your body to prevent colds. Helps to breakdown acids and germ build up, so it reduces all kinds of the bad stuff . You should also take no less than a multi-Viatmin daily. The hunger you feel might just be from the fact that you're hungry! Vitamins should be taken after eating. And remember this... When you feel hungry? There's a very good chance that you're burning calories. This may be tough at first, but overall, it's just a side effect of you accomplishing your goal.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    too low of protein in your diet can weaken your immune system, so I've read. ( "A Week In The Zone" by Dr Barry Sears.)
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • nehadi23
    nehadi23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to have to try a few things and hopefully figure out what works best for me :)