Can't Sleep After Working Out (HOURS Later)

Options
I never work out. EVER.

Today we went to the Y. Did the elliptical for 15 minutes. Spent another 20 minutes doing upper body on some machines. Played 3 games of racquetball.

That was 15 hours ago. It's 7am and I still haven't been able to sleep. We had a good dinner; I even had a couple drinks and a bubble bath after so I should be all snoozy.

What gives? :indifferent:

I have to be up for work in 3 hours. lol Looks like I'm gonna have a sleepy day tomorrow!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd blame the workout for that. Probably just good old fashioned insomnia. But you could switch to morning workouts.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have issues with working out in the evenings because it keeps me up for at least three hours post workout and also, I have pretty much zero appetite after I workout too. So I switched up my schedule, no food except for a small afternoon snack and a small pre workout, workout for 1-2 hours lifting and running right after work 6pm-ish, then I actually am hungry because I have saved up most of my appetite/hunger for the end of the day, HUGE dinner which puts me in a food coma, asleep by 10:30 or 11pm.

Find what works for you, there's so many ways to tweak schedule for eating and working out so that its convenient for you and therefore sustainable.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    I had this problem when I play men's league hockey. Games were at 11PM or later. I could never sleep when I got home. With some people, late night strenuous exercise doesn't work. You'd think it would tire you out and make you sleepy but sometimes it doesn't.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is actually linked to your workout, or if it's just a coincidence. As you workout more and get more fit you'll find that your body does have more energy, but it will also fall into better sleep patterns (if you allow it to) because it needs to recover from workouts. Maybe try saving some calories so you can have a cup of hot milk or something before you go to bed to help you sleep?