cheap/easy weight loss diet?

Options

Replies

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    http://startcooking.com/

Lots of videos and pictures for basic dishes. Start with eggs, scrambled with vegetables, meat or cheese. Boiling eggs is super easy and you then have portable protein.

It is far less expensive to cook at home than to eat out or buy frozen meals. Much healthier too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Turn grill on
    put steak on grill
    cook on side for about five minutes each
    done.

OR...

chop up some chicken
    chop up vegetables
    boil rice for ten minutes
    combine in skillet
    chicken/veggie/stir fry done..

come on bro you got this!

Just google cooking ideas and they will give you simple instructions...

LOL
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    To be clear, my comment below is not out of judgment but curiosity:

What are you trying to be safe from? Making a mess? Wasting money on groceries?

Don't be afraid to learn to cook. Embrace the challenge. As others have already mentioned, you WILL save money. You will also feel great pride in making something good and yummy for yourself. And don't be afraid to ask those who know how to cook for help.

:flowerforyou:
    well i started out trying a few things, like chicken breast for instance and totally burnt the outside and the inside was still frozen solid. cooking longer or trying to eat it anyways would have been a health risk plus it was a total waste.

on the other hand, i've been "successful" at other things (not really, but it was edible), since i used oil i put the leftover in a cup by the sink to prevent clogging. i guess over the weeks enough oil from my dishes got in the sink enough to clog it up. i dont know how to fix it and im an unemployed post-grad, so i tried a few things but ultimately gave up for a while, which resulted in a massive roach problem that lasted for months.

and thats only two examples of many...

Best way is to defrost the chicken breast at room temperature for a few hours, and then coat in a little olive or coconut oil, some seasoning, wrap in foil and in the oven for 30 minutes. I cannot cook, but I can do that.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    Take the money you're spending on Ensure drinks, and buy some produce, yogurt, chicken, tuna, etc. Ensure is expensive for what it is!
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I couldn't cook at one point either... take notes (physical or mental) on what you're doing. What works and what didn't.
    Also, use recipes!!! Follow the directions... you can't mess that up. Use the kitchen timer. If I don't use it... the food gets burnt.

Practice makes better.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    i cant cook. like, at all. each time results in disaster weather its burnt/undercooked food, or physical damage to the house.

so whats a cheap and easy plan to get adequate nutrition for weight loss?
    (right now im sticking to peanut butter sandwiches on whole grain bread, oatmeal bars, and ensure diet drinks)

When I first got married, I couldn't cook very well. So, I had to learn how.

Soups and stews are real easy to make, they are low in calories and tasty. THey do have quite a bit of sodium, so if you're watching salt, be careful.

Easy chicken soup

Take a big pot, put it on the stove, turn heat on to low-medium, add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Chop an onion, add to pot.

Add a few cloves of finely chopped garlic (if this is too hard for you, use garlic powder, it's ok.)

Take two chicken breast, remove all fat and chop into cubes.

Put chicken into pot with onion. Stir once in a while.

Put all knives and cutting boards you used to do this in the sink to avoid cross contamination. Wash your hands. Use soap.

Chop 4 celery stalks, add to pot.

Chop about 6 carrots, add to pot

Add about 5 cups chicken stock (You can either buy chicken stock, or use boullion cubes -- 5 cubes and 5 cups of water)

Add one 14 oz can diced tomatoes.

Add some pepper and basil to taste.

Cover, raise heat until soup starts to boil. Lower heat a bit and let simmer until carrots are done. Stir once in a while.

Add about 3/4 cup each frozen peas, corn and green beans. Stir.

Add about 2 cups small pasta. I use wide egg noodles usually.

To thicken, you can add a can of cream of chicken soup. (I make a thickener from flour, margarine and milk. google cream of chicken soup substitute if you want to know how)

Let simmer until noodles are done. 1/4 of the pot is about 300 calories.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    well i started out trying a few things, like chicken breast for instance and totally burnt the outside and the inside was still frozen solid. cooking longer or trying to eat it anyways would have been a health risk plus it was a total waste.

on the other hand, i've been "successful" at other things (not really, but it was edible), since i used oil i put the leftover in a cup by the sink to prevent clogging. i guess over the weeks enough oil from my dishes got in the sink enough to clog it up. i dont know how to fix it and im an unemployed post-grad, so i tried a few things but ultimately gave up for a while, which resulted in a massive roach problem that lasted for months.

Lesson 1: Don't cook meat from frozen. Defrost it on a covered plate in the bottom of the fridge (so it doesn't drip raw meat juices on anything). You can cook frozen mince but only if it's the free flowing stuff not frozen as a block. As you discovered, the outside cooks and the middle stays frozen which isn't that good to eat!

Lesson 2: Use a minimum amount of oil. Buy a good non-stick pan and you won't need much at all. If you have oil or fat left on dishes wipe it off with paper towel and bin it. If you don't have food recycling bins then drain old fat or oil into a screw top jar and put the lid on so it won't spill or smell the place out. When the jar is full you can bin the whole thing. Never put oil down the sink and if it does block, buy a drain cleaning product and use it.

See, you've already learnt from your mistakes.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Don't be afraid to learn to cook. Embrace the challenge. As others have already mentioned, you WILL save money. You will also feel great pride in making something good and yummy for yourself. And don't be afraid to ask those who know how to cook for help.

Best way is to defrost the chicken breast at room temperature for a few hours, and then coat in a little olive or coconut oil, some seasoning, wrap in foil and in the oven for 30 minutes. I cannot cook, but I can do that.

From a food safety point of view thawing meat, poultry and fish at room temperature is risky. Please thaw them in the refrigerator OR in their package if it is water tight in cool water. Thawing at room temp allows bacteria to multiply rapidly in the already thawed sections while waiting for the remaining frozen part to thaw.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Learn how to make some SUPER easy dishes as a base. Tacos and pastas are incredibly easy to make. Then, when the mood strikes, tweak an ingredient in the base dish.

Example with tacos:
    Your basic tacos are ground beef, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, salsa and tortillas. Instead of using ground beef, try ground chicken. Or try shrimp. If you commonly use cheddar cheese, try something like queso fresco. Instead of using tortillas, use a lettuce wrap. Out of that one recipe, by just swapping one ingredient, you've now got 4 different recipes.

Pasta:
    There are TONS of different noodles. Every type of noodle gives the pasta dish a different flavor, texture and depth. Instead of spaghetti noodles, try corkscrew or shells. Instead of pasta sauce, try a basil-pesto or alfredo. Try different kinds of meats in each dish: meatballs, sausage, chicken. Again, out of just 1 dish, you've got a variety of different recipes.

Both of these bases require very little cooking skill and can be made with very inexpensive kitchen tools. And both have a good balance of fats-protein-carbs.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    lots of good ideas here. im thinking i'll start with the lean cuisine and fruits and veggies for a bit, then try a slow cooker.
    eventually im sure i'll get adventurous enough to try some easy meals, but i'll wait on that for a little bit just to be safe.

My son uses his George Foreman grill all the time - easy way to cook chicken breasts, pork chops, etc. so you don't get bored eating the same things. The slow cooker is a great idea (get some frozen meatballs (check the nutrients though), add some fresh salsa or pasta sauce, cook on low for 4-6 hours - yum-o!)

Great topic - I'm sure you're not the only one who struggles with this. Another wonderful thing is rotisserie chickens - already cooked, about $6, and you can get at least two meals off of it (and they're very good!)
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook. My mother taught me the basics as a child (cooking rice, eggs, baking meat, how to cook veggies, etc) but when I moved out at 17 I had a copy of The Joy of Cooking and a very limited grocery budget. It's not hard to follow a recipe.

Look up orange juice chicken (allrecipes is a good site.) Super easy and yummy. Add rice and steamed or boiled asparagus and it's a super yummy meal.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Don't defrost meat at room temp please. Either in the fridge or, if you need it sooner, under running cold water. Don't want any food poisoning.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    See a nutritionist.
    Don't diet. If you eat the right foods, you won't even feel hungry!
    Make sure you pick at least one day per week to have a treat so you don't feel deprived (like you're on a DIET), and then binge because you're craving crap.
    Prepare all of your food on one day of the week, like grilled chicken breast, steak, whatever. Cut up vegetables and fruits. Have healthy bread, whole grain pastas, oatmeal, etc. in the house. It's not too hard.
    Buy a cookbook or search online for easy recipes. Skinnytaste.com has a lot of healthy recipes, so does Taste of Home, allrecipes and FoodNetwork.
    Watch some youtube videos on how to cook.
    Google how to make _____. Before you know it, you'll be hooked.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    get a slow cooker - it's the BEST thing for simple, cheap meals and you don't have to spend a lot of time preparing! :love: my FAV kitchen appliance besides my blender haha

there's a TON of slow cooker recipes out there: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
    basically it's meat and veggies, i've also made a delish cinnamon bread pudding. sure, there are probably some calorific slow cooker recipes out there, but I've always found that making my own food is better than dining out, esp on the sodium front!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    you cant cook and you wanted ideas how to eat cheaply and fairly good, I was looking to get some ideas from your responses but they are telling you to cook, even though thats not what you wanna do. hope you find a way to eat relatively healthy and cheap without cooking, probably find the answers from a very few responses you got on here who actually tried to help with your problem.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I know some people are more visual, others can follow directions, like a recipe, and do just fine. If you're more visual, you can always google ehow or allrecipes.com, and they usually have videos showing how to make a recipe from start to end.
  • trina1028
    Options
    gound turkey, u can not go wrong
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Panini press. You can throw chicken breasts in it and it's done in minutes.
  • Nepion
    Nepion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw my two cents in because it seems like most of the encouragement is to learn to cook. I definitely agree with a lot of this, cooking is a great way to know what you're putting in yourself and a whole lot easier to control portion sizes. That being said, my broke unemployed college days were not that far away, and I still remember helping my brother learn to decipher all the cooking jargon out there. So here's my suggestions.

If you're eating out plan ahead. A lot of companies now have nutrition on their websites and you can price and see what fits, both budget-wise and nutrition wise.

Frozen meals are generally easy to pop in a microwave and ta-da! Insta-meal. Add some microwavable vegetables and some fruit that needs zero cooking (I like the fact I can just buy and eat fruit without wondering what to do with it) and youv'e got a pretty good meal

Things like canned tuna and chicken are easy to add to salads, sandwiches, or even eat plain. Canned is also nice because it has a much longer expiration date so you don't have to worry about freezing and rarely have to add any cooking to it.

The other tips I have are more for cooking, which is definitely a skill you want to at least get the basics down on.

1. Defrost meat before cooking. If you can't do that because of time or it's literally the last thing in the house, cook lower and longer and cover when possible. It's not guaranteed to get you perfect results but it's less like to be both burnt and raw at the same time.

2. www.cooksrecipes.com/cooking-dictionary

One of my biggest hurdles was not know how to cook but how to read recipes. I watched my mom, so I got the motions down. But she knew her recipes by heart, which meant I had no idea what some of the skills were called. My poor brother never had any interest in cooking until he lived on his own so we sort of bumbled through together.

3. Cook in a pan on the stove-top. It's got a few advantages over baking that I like. You can pretty much do anything. Add a little cooking spray and plop your ingredients in. You can keep an eye on it, instead of being blasted with heat every time you open the door. And you can control the heat much quicker than when you bake.

4. Head to your library. There were several good suggestions on here for books to read/use. Instead of buying them, see if your local library has a copy so you can check them out before you invest in your own copy. Plus, you never know what they might be offering. My local library does a whole month on fitness and nutrition, including a cooking class.
  • bevaroo117
    bevaroo117 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating peanut butter sandwiches and Ensure doesn't sound very healthy to me. Just because it's "whole grain bread" doesn't necessarily make it healthy. HealthiER, perhaps. You need to eat some fresh produce!

I rarely "cook" and eat very healthy. I prefer to stick to what I call "assembly" rather than cooking. Here's a weekday example from last week on my 1300 cal/day diet:

- Breakfast: Banana, coffee with creamer
    - Mid-morning: Cheese stick snack
    - Lunch: Turkey sandwich (sliced deli turkey, 1 slice of 2% cheese on light bread), an apple, baby carrots with 2TBSP hummus
    - Mid-afternoon: Orange, handful of almonds
    - Dinner: chicken sausage link (in microwave!) and Salad (Raw kale massaged with avocado, baby tomato, bell pepper, roasted corn, a sprinkle of pistachio and golden raisins)

If I workout during the day I usually eat a "Think Thin" protein bar. 20g of protein in each!

You may look at this and think that all that fresh produce is expensive. It's not too bad if you eat it all, don't let it go to waste. Ensure shakes are expensive and you'll probably even out your grocery bill by not drinking them and eating fruits and veggies instead.