Can't break 140lbs

Options
Hi All!

I can't seem to break 140lbs.:sad: I've lost inches, and went from a size 12 to a size 8. BUT I still can't drop the pounds. I've been kicking my own butt since Oct of last year, working out 4-6 times a week. I still have some pudge that I want to get rid of. I'm not always perfect in what I eat but I try to eat the best I can.

Replies

• kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi All!

I can't seem to break 140lbs.:sad: I've lost inches, and went from a size 12 to a size 8. BUT I still can't drop the pounds. I've been kicking my own butt since Oct of last year, working out 4-6 times a week. I still have some pudge that I want to get rid of. I'm not always perfect in what I eat but I try to eat the best I can.
  • penniepie
    penniepie Posts: 37
    Options
    im in the same boat as you!!! - sheesh its soo hard - i budged once under 140 - didnt last long cause i was starving myself :S
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I can relate!!! I started at 170 ( eek!) last September and am now right at 138 - 140. Really do want to get to 135. I am still exercising consistenly 5 to 6 days per week but have loosened up on the calories. Not gaining, but not losing. I have to decide if it's worth it to go for the extra 5 - may be too hard to maintain it
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Man -O - man! I'm soooo happy that I am not alone. :bigsmile: I really want to lose this weight. I'm getting married, then kids pretty soon. I want to be in fantastic shape before I pop out a kid. That way I hoping it will be easier to lose the baby fat.:tongue:
  • rad3000
    rad3000 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just sighned up today, and I saw this post. The same thing is happening to me! I'm stuck btwn 137-140, my goal is 130. I started jogging about 8 mos ago at 150 lbs, so I am grateful for the loss so far...I have a feeling it has something to do with my grazing habit at work, hmm...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    OK so this is going to sound like a stupid question, or a weird one, but, well, I'm a weird guy anyway (so my wife says).

Why do you care? I mean, if your slimming down, and becomming more healthy. Is that anything more then a number?

I know, I know. But really stop and think about it for a few. I mean. You have gone from a 12 to an 8!!! that should mean SO much more then what you weigh! I'd wager that you have reduced your Body Fat by a large % and increase your muscle mass proportionately. So, I would say that the reason why you have slimmed down so much, but not lost any weight is that you've replaced the fat weight with muscle weight! That's AWESOME. Muscle looks sooo good, and I'd much rather see a girl that weighs 150 and is tone then the same height girl who is 120 but doesn't do a day of exercise. I mean, seriously, 120 girl would be flabby and weak, no tone at all (and tell you the truth, probably doesn't have a lot of energy).
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    (ya beat me to it Banks!!!...lol)

Kaiya... are you happy in a size 8? do you look good? The 140 is a number...when someone looks at you...do they think 140? If you have kicking butt since last October, you eat and drink healthy and in healthy amounts, have you ever considered this is the weight your body aspires to via dna or bone size?
    What range is your body fat # in?

If you can answer no to any of the above, perhaps you need to change your exercise routine because your body has become used to your program and that goes for your "eats" too...alter the variety of your foods...increase protein, decrease carbs..get those veggies in...then your fruits...WATER! WATER! WATER!...that's all you can do to shake it up a bit.

If you are concerned about losing baby fat...its not the weight or dress size you start at that really counts, it's the healthy food and exercise habits you live by before, during (according to what the doc says you require which in most cases is just a good healthy balanced diet & exercise is dependent on your physical shape & the trimester you are in and ALL sorts of other stuff..lol), after.

Another BIG factor is how much lean muscle mass you have built in your body...I read somewhere that one pound of lean muscle in its resting state (BMR) uses 36 cals a pound per hour...whereas fat uses 3.
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I definately look better! I still have a little chub around my stomach and a little on the hips. I guess I just wanted to weigh what I did when I was 21.

DianneLynn- you made a good point about the body size..... maybe this is the way my body wants me to be.

Banks- I don't know my body fat %.... how do I check that?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I didn't loose anything this week.,..first time the scame didn't move...stuck at 136 (start weight: 155)
    I feel a little defeated because I didn't cheat at all....worked out etc
    BUT hopefully next week will be better
    I did some clothes shopping today, so that made me feel a little better :)
    I also still have lots of pudge in the middle and am starting to feel like the only way to get rid of this it to have is sucked out..LOL

Good luck. kim
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am at the same spot too. Same weight and everything. I just keep exercising and trying to eat healthy. I don't know your age, but I am 36 and I have just about decided 140 might be as low as I go.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I definately look better! I still have a little chub around my stomach and a little on the hips. I guess I just wanted to weigh what I did when I was 21.

DianneLynn- you made a good point about the body size..... maybe this is the way my body wants me to be.

Banks- I don't know my body fat %.... how do I check that?

Oh, well there's a can of worms. There are lots of ways to measure body fat. You can ask if your gym has a person that has been certified in calipers. There are the bio-impedence scales...um I forget the rest, they all have margin for error and it can be pretty wide depending on the device. But if your consistant you should be able to tell to a relatively fine degree how much you change from one point in time to another. It may not give you a truely accurate measure (there are scans out now days that can do it with an extremely low margin for error, but I think they are a little expensive, never had one of those so I'm not sure. You can get a very rough % by doing some at home tests. Just google Body Fat %, you'll find instructions all over the place).
  • dxeebelle
    Options
    I think 140 must be a magic number or something.. my goal is 130- 135 and yet I can't get below 140.. ok one day my scale said 139 and I jumped up and down and was so happy.. but it must have been water cause it was right back on w/o cheating.
    I went from a12 to 6 but there are still some issues. Yes, the baby pudge... I can see the results on my upper abs but no such luck on the lower abs. And I am only 5' 2" so the extra weight has no where to hide!!!!
    I went clothes shopping today and was getting beyond frustrated. I see all these cute clothes and darn it they just don't fit the same as they did before babies and predisone! GRRRR
    Glad someone else is as frustrated as I am.. guess that means I can tell my husband I am not crazy!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration dxeebelle ~ just go easy on yourself because prednisone isn't something anyone wants to HAVE to take...steroids are a terror. Another thing to placate yourself with...is whether you weigh 139 or you weigh 143 (pulling that out of the air) no one will notice except you and that won't probably be visual..it will be that your clothing maybe snug. I'm 5' 3-1/2" and I notice 5-6 lbs in how my clothes fit even though "they" say every 10 lbs equals a size.

You might notice that exercise and loss of inches is the way you are headed vs. the weight number.
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the 140lb mark either. . .i just hovered there. . .then i got pregnant . . .so now i'm tryin' to lose post baby weight. . .so it's like startin' all over. ill be glad to hit the 140 this time lol
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The 140s must be a problem for most. I have been at 143 - 140 for 3 weeks now up and down but I cant seem to get to the 130s. My goal is 125 and I was at 209 so I happy at what I am at now but this is what I was in high school and could never get down below 140s. But I didnt try then either. I am hoping it is just taking its time and it will come off slower but it will happen, cross my fingers. Any suggestions????
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Eh... I guess we can just stick to our calories and exercise a lot.
    I don't expect to lose this last pounds too quickly so I decided to move to 1400 cal and 1600 on days when I exercise to make sure my body gets everything it needs in the long run :smile:
    And I'm going to enjoy my good health and fitness instead of skinny me :smooched:

Hope we'll all succeed :smile:
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • edyta
    Options
    I don't expect to lose this last pounds too quickly so I decided to move to 1400 cal and 1600 on days when I exercise to make sure my body gets everything it needs in the long run :smile:
    And I'm going to enjoy my good health and fitness instead of skinny me :smooched:

• edyta
    Options

• edyta
    Options
    Ups..., sorry for those messages... :embarassed:

I found a nice body fat calculator:
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Of course these are only estimates, but useful to track your progress
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    I suppose I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I love my workouts and kicking my own butt. Thanks for everyones support. :heart: