A tip for all carb-cutting bread lovers

Options
Hey all! Militarycat here with a tip for those of you who are cutting carbs but love your sandwiches, toast, etc. Passover starts tomorrow, which means no yeast products for us Jews. So in supermarket bakeries across the country, you all are going to start seeing something called challah on sale. Now, for those of you who don't know, challah is an egg based bread. It also just so happens to be fairly low carb (compared to regular leavened bread) and has some protein in it as well! Also it tastes delicious. I personally recommend making challah french toast. Tastes like a treat, high in protein. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it. Seriously, it's the best thing ever.

Basically, I'm saying that right now you don't have to give up your sandwiches and other bread-based food. Go out and enjoy!

Replies

• NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for it??
    I have looked on line and all the recipes I find have yeast in them.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another fun one: if you're interested in DIYing some low-carb bread, this site http://www.proteinpow.com/search/label/PROTEIN BREAD has a large number of recipes for protein breads, i.e. breads made with protein powders. None of them require rising, they're just blend and bake for the most part.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's braided, so the prep is a bit difficult but super rewarding (because it is pretty and tasty) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/challah-i/
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ooohh! I love challah bread! haven't had it in awhile, but I didn't realize it was low carb - AWESOME! I'm going to go get some at a bakery, i think! :) thanks for the info! :) (and i love eggs, so eggy bread is good to me! :D)

and thanks for that recipe - i am going to make some TODAY! (i've never made homemade bread but this sounds pretty easy! :))
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I remember this stuff. It is good, too bad it's hard to find around here and the place I'm at right now does not have an oven. :(
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    As someone who's been gluten-free for 15 or so years, I LOVE this time of year because of all of the non-wheat options. Nom nom nom! Thanks for posting this, as it's great to see all of the low-carb responses that your post elicited!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Challah is low carb? I've actually been avoiding it every week (except for a small piece) because I thought it was too carb-filled. I never really checked, I just assumed. And since I have a habit of eating and eating and eating it...I figured I should just limit it. But if it's low carb and has more protein...Shabbat Shalom to me! Well, after next week, lol.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't know...In the database, all the Challah entries have more carbs than the same serving size as Whole Wheat Bread.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have never seen low carb challah. What kind of low carb challah are you getting?
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The stuff at Publix is lower than the Italian bread
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    ohh thanks! actually didn't know challah was egg based, i'll check it out! :bigsmile: