Body media link or core?

2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I have had the link for about a day now.

Yes, you do need the activity manager because that is where you upload all your data from. It is cool that you can check your phone and get a "live" reading throughout day or during a workout.

Yesterday, it said that my total burn for the day - with leg workout - was about 3000 calories. That sounds about right as when I had calculated my TDEE at fit to fat and IF calculator they gave me a TDEE of 2800 to 3100....Today I am going to take a full rest day so it will be interesting to see what the reading is for that.

I really did not have any problems getting used to or sleeping with arm band.

I will say that the blue tooth link to Iphone seems a little buggy sometimes but maybe that is just me..will have more on this in a few days....
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member

Yes, you do need the activity manager because that is where you upload all your data from. It is cool that you can check your phone and get a "live" reading throughout day or during a workout.

Yesterday, it said that my total burn for the day - with leg workout - was about 3000 calories. That sounds about right as when I had calculated my TDEE at fit to fat and IF calculator they gave me a TDEE of 2800 to 3100....Today I am going to take a full rest day so it will be interesting to see what the reading is for that.

I will say that the blue tooth link to Iphone seems a little buggy sometimes but maybe that is just me..will have more on this in a few days....

Remember you can isolate your workout time to see how many calories that burnt EXTRA. Remember to take away from that the calories you would have burnt just sitting still. For me that is 1.1 Cals per minute but you can get that value from the activity manager by looking at a time you are just sitting.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    I have the core with the display. don't have a smart phone so didn't see the use in getting the link. I really like that I can see during the day what my numbers are. I wouldn't go with the core without the display.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    The activity manager is where I can use all the interactive tools - it does allow you to log your food into their app but I prefer the myfitnesspal app. I think generally the account is maybe like $7 a month or something like that. You can log your workouts, see how many steps you are taking, set a goal for a specific calorie burn and other stuff. It also tracks your sleep, but I'm not too sure how accurate that really is.....I'm not sure how it knows I am asleep vs laying in bed. I do find myself making an effort to be more active because I know it is logging everything for me. I am very happy with it!

I have the Core (or close to it, I bought mine before the Link came out four years ago). It was called the Gowear Fit then. I would spend the extra 30 bucks or whatever and get the Link if you have a smartphone, I would LOVE to be able to see it on my phone. I have the display for mine (I think they're only about 30 bucks now, when I bought mine it was like 130-grr) so I can tell all my stats, but it would be cooler on my phone.

The Activity Manager is awesome, you can see your stats for exercise, and sleep, and sync it with MFP, and it pulls in your calories from your food diary here.

Love it!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    I've had both the Core and the Link. Started out with the Core (and display unit). While the display unit was handy, I found not having it link directly with MFP a big drawback. Having to remove the armband every time I wanted to sync the info with MFP was incredibly annoying. I used the Core device for a week before ordering the Link.

I initially went with the Core based on all the negative reviews regarding the sync ability of the Link. The negative reviews do have merit (the device does fail to sync probably 40% of the time) but even so I'm still much happier with the Link vs the Core. The failure to sync, while mildly annoying, only requires you to press a button on the device a second time and then do the same on your touch screen. Overall, not a deal breaker for me.

Body Media has announced a new bluetooth device being released in the fall. I believe it will be called the Core 2. It will be smaller than the current Link, have bluetooth capability and an add-on heart rate monitor strap accessory.

You do have to pay a subscription fee in order to use the device. I've seen the Link as low as $99 online. Remember that Target will price match Amazon and they carry the Link in their store. It is unclear how many months of free trial subscription is available with the Target purchase. Also, check out Costco. While they charge more for the device, their package currently offers a free 12 month trial for the subscription. You can order from Costco online, even if you're not a member - although you do pay a small upcharge fee in that case.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    I've had both the Core and the Link. Started out with the Core (and display unit). While the display unit was handy, I found not having it link directly with MFP a big drawback. Having to remove the armband every time I wanted to sync the info with MFP was incredibly annoying. I used the Core device for a week before ordering the Link.

I initially went with the Core based on all the negative reviews regarding the sync ability of the Link. The negative reviews do have merit (the device does fail to sync probably 40% of the time) but even so I'm still much happier with the Link vs the Core. The failure to sync, while mildly annoying, only requires you to press a button on the device a second time and then do the same on your touch screen. Overall, not a deal breaker for me.

Body Media has announced a new bluetooth device being released in the fall. I believe it will be called the Core 2. It will be smaller than the current Link, have bluetooth capability and an add-on heart rate monitor strap accessory.

You do have to pay a subscription fee in order to use the device. I've seen the Link as low as $99 online. Remember that Target will price match Amazon and they carry the Link in their store. It is unclear how many months of free trial subscription is available with the Target purchase. Also, check out Costco. While they charge more for the device, their package currently offers a free 12 month trial for the subscription. You can order from Costco online, even if you're not a member - although you do pay a small upcharge fee in that case.

Excellent feed back. I probably would go with the link but now I think I'll wait to see what the fall brings. The only way I think I'll buy before then is if I start having set backs in my weight loss. So far between mfp and the calories listed on the equipment, it's been enough to keep me a steady loss, which is what is most important for me at this time. Maybe it'll be a reward for behaving with my eating and exercising through the summer.
  • jaz050465

I have the Older Advantage model - we can't use the newer ones in the UK. Just want to say I don't take my armband off to attach it to the computer- I just put my other hand down my sleeve and unclick it and then click it back when I've finished.
  • jaz050465

Excellent feed back. I probably would go with the link but now I think I'll wait to see what the fall brings. The only way I think I'll buy before then is if I start having set backs in my weight loss. So far between mfp and the calories listed on the equipment, it's been enough to keep me a steady loss, which is what is most important for me at this time. Maybe it'll be a reward for behaving with my eating and exercising through the summer.

If you don't mind waiting- there will also be the new AMIIGO.
  • joleenl

If you don't mind waiting- there will also be the new AMIIGO.

Whats the new AMIGO?
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I have had the Core w/display for only a day and love it!!! I have no smartphone so I did not need the Link.

You can set it up so the Activity Manager links directly to MFP so all you have to do is log your food here and it automatically transfers to there.

It is all about accountability and the BodyMedia is an excellent tool. I know it is only my first full day, but I couldn't be happier.
  • jaz050465
    Take a look:

http://amiigo.co/
  • ndj1979

Remember you can isolate your workout time to see how many calories that burnt EXTRA. Remember to take away from that the calories you would have burnt just sitting still. For me that is 1.1 Cals per minute but you can get that value from the activity manager by looking at a time you are just sitting.

Kinda confused by this. Why would it matter what I burn when sitting? The idea is to figure out what your total burn for a day is and then eat less then that by X percent or eat in a surplus if you are bulking. Or am I missing something? I am not to concerned with what my extra work out burn is....but more concerned with burn on non workout days vs work out days...Also, looking at my work out log it looks like I burned about 350 cals during my leg workout...
  • jvnoonway
    jvnoonway Posts: 24
    NDJ1979,

The reason why your at rest calorie burn counts is because body media is an all inclusive device, and it measures your calorie burn at all times, so that it knows what you need to eat. Each of our bodies need X amt of calories just to survive, because the armband is on all the time, it gives you a better feedback of what you are burning ALL DAY so that you can eat enough for you to live, and also to burn appropriately.

So, the best thing about this tool is that you will know FOR SURE what your cal deficit (or surplus) is every day.
    wow, did I even answer your question lol?
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    I have the core about 5 months ago and bought the display 3 weeks ago for $24 when BM had it on sale. When I bought my armband I was like I don't need to know how many calories I burn so I will pay less for this others one.....then I became obsessed with knowing. Now that I have the display I find myself challenging my previous days burn or to reach a certain number. Spend the extra and get the one that will sync with your smartphone
  • ndj1979
    NDJ1979,

The reason why your at rest calorie burn counts is because body media is an all inclusive device, and it measures your calorie burn at all times, so that it knows what you need to eat. Each of our bodies need X amt of calories just to survive, because the armband is on all the time, it gives you a better feedback of what you are burning ALL DAY so that you can eat enough for you to live, and also to burn appropriately.

So, the best thing about this tool is that you will know FOR SURE what your cal deficit (or surplus) is every day.
    wow, did I even answer your question lol?

LOL I do not think so.

The original person said that you should subtract your calories burned while sitting..which I did not understand the point of..

I understood it like you, that you wanted to know total burn for the day - everything included...the deduct part confused me..
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    The original person said that you should subtract your calories burned while sitting..which I did not understand the point of..

I understood it like you, that you wanted to know total burn for the day - everything included...the deduct part confused me..

I think they mean so that you know how many cals you burnt doing the workout, over and above what you would burn sitting on the couch.

Total workout burn - Resting burn = cals burnt by working out rather than staying home and watching the snow melt.

Not sure I understood why though.
  • joleenl
    Take a look:

http://amiigo.co/

The thing looks totally cool it doesn't sync with mfp though. :(
  • jaz050465

I think they mean so that you know how many cals you burnt doing the workout, over and above what you would burn sitting on the couch.

Total workout burn - Resting burn = cals burnt by working out rather than staying home and watching the snow melt.

Not sure I understood why though.

Think people may be referring to my comment. It was because poster was interested in comparing their total burn on a day when they exercised to a day when they didnt. What I meant was you can isolate that exercise period to see what effe t it had on your total burn for the day.

I've used my data to calculate the average calories I burn per minute whilst sitting, walking the dog, jogging and strength training. If I'm inline to not reach my target burn, I can then work out what I need to do in order to meet the target. Hope this makes sense.