Weight Lifting and advice??

Options
I've lost 57# and I'm working on toning up and wanted to know if any of you know good websites or books? I have done strength training my whole journey on machines but I am now ready to do lots more weights....I've got a pretty muscular build so I'm excited to tone it up!

Replies

• yamahammer342
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi12.htm

I found this article yesterday for my wife. It has really good information on what you are looking for I think.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While books and websites have lots of good information, they can't "spot" you to make sure you are lifting with good form. If you want to start lifting heavy, you really need to get a personal trainer that can make sure you are lifting correctly so you won't accidentally injure yourself. Good luck!
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I always suggest Rippetoes Starting Strength simply because it places so much emphasis on proper form in all the big compound movements.
  • treatingmybodyright
    treatingmybodyright Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm almost through my first round of James Wilson's program. He has a group on Facebook and sells the program through PayPal. He emails the program to you immediately, and is very supportive--he personally answers questions, and the group of people doing the program are awesome and help answer questions as well. If you're on Facebook, check him out. I've been very pleased with his program, which is adaptable for home workouts as well.
  • mikencherie
    Options
    You'll see quite a few recommendations here for Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. I just started SS Fri and downloaded the book on to my Nexus and the paperback is in route to me. Both programs have you increase weight lifted each session and you do the workouts 3 days per week. A lot of people do it M-W-F or Tu-Th-Sa, but I chose F-Sun-Tu as my gym is less crowded then and I have a better chance of using a rack.