Beating sugar addiction?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to lose weight for the last year or so, after putting on 18kg in 2.5 years through bad eating habits and stress. I've lost 8kg of that so far through going to the gym 3 times a week, and choosing healthier breakfasts/lunches/cooking more for myself.

My problem is simple but difficult to overcome - sugar addiction. I don't have one biscuit, I have all the biscuits...

I know some people will think 'greedy cow, put the biscuits down/don't buy them, problem solved', but even if I resist the chocolate aisle when shopping, I have been known to go out again to the local shop at 10pm to fix that craving. I live alone, so have noone to feel ashamed in front of (and when I get lonely, I eat more!)

Have any of you overcome your own sugar addiction? I would really like to "go cold turkey" (I have tried and failed several times after a stressful day), and wonder if there's anyone who wants to join me?

Sarah

(ps - This is the first time I started a thread - please be gentle with me!)

Replies

• Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Noone? :-(
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    It was never sugar for me. It was bread. Then my doctor had me tested for celiac disease, and, alas, no more wheat for me. That pretty much solved the problem because other grains just don't have the same addictive effect on me.
  • I have a similar problem,although it comes in waves. Some weeks I'm good, others I want to eat all the ice cream. There is no steady solution. I've tried cutting it out completely, and while that did lesson the cravings it didn't make them go away completely. It is also nearly impossible to live your life without sugar of any kind ever. People always want to know why you're not eating the cake or the ice cream at a party.
    Moderation is great, but it's hard. What I've found to be best for me is to remind myself daily that I have a problem and mot likely will forever. I'm not entirely unlike a drug addict in that way, but unlike a drug addict my drug of choice is convenient and easily obtained and legal. When I have a really bad craving I try to get outside and take a walk, even a short one sometimes helps. I remind myself of what the consequences will be if I go to the store or I eat that cookie. I remind myself of how terrible I will feel afterward. And if I just have to have it I try to eat slowly and savor every bite so it will last a long time and I will feel satisfied.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    I had exactly the same problem. Sugar is a serious addiction and I treated it like one. I decided to eliminate all sugars (including chewing gum, artificial sweeners, starch) and anything else that spiked my insulin levels (peanut butter, fresh fruit,processed foods, so called natural sweetners... etc.) It took about a week to eliminate the cravings. It wasn't easy but I no longer crave sweets, my body doesn't need them. I slowly reintroduced fruit in my diet and still have to be very careful not to eat fruit without a fat and protein. Good luck
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Have you considered joining a support group?

Maybe a half way house or something of that nature to help get your life back on track?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Beating sugar with egg whites is the best way. Then just fold in the dry ingredients, transfer to a greased and lined tin and bake for 25 mins in the oven.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    addiction? noooooooooo........
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    You aren't addicted to sugar. You are choosing to indulge. Make a different choice. It may not be easy, but you are in control of your own behaviour.
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    eat an apple instead every time you decide to go out at 10 pm, or every time you have to have a cookie
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Just cut unnatural sugars all together if you can't control yourself.

It sounds a bit more like binging but your binge of choice is sugar related. In which case seek medical advice
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    You aren't addicted to sugar. You are choosing to indulge. Make a different choice. It may not be easy, but you are in control of your own behaviour.
    This. As an out-of-control sugar slayer, I know the difference.

I went cold-turkey at the beginning of my weight loss, except maybe 1 Starlight peppermint a day. I had headaches for about 4 days, took Ibuprofen, and moved on. Once I stayed off of it for a while, when I reintroduced it to my diet (4 months later), I was able to control it better.

Whether you reduce it or eliminate it for a while, it still will require a commitment from you - big time. Good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    if you beat sugar with an egg yolk you get a delicious fluffy treat. wait, what are we talking about here?
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    if you beat sugar with an egg yolk you get a delicious fluffy treat. wait, what are we talking about here?
    Ooh if you beat sugar into the first spoonful of stove-top espresso, you get this sweet layer on top of the coffee.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Figure out what triggers your desire for sugar.

Is it low blood sugar? Is it staying up late? Are you mistaking hunger for thirst?

Is it because you are lonely and want some company?

Until you identify your triggers you are not going to get far in fighting your sugar addiction.

For those of you that are getting caught up in the terminology it doesn't matter unless it gets in the way of her openness to new ideas.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Have you considered joining a support group?

Maybe a half way house or something of that nature to help get your life back on track?

Lolz! You win this thread
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    I actually gave up fructose/sucrose/HFCS, over the course of 42 days.

Painful.

Very much addicted.

No relapse, either.

Education and information was the key for me after that.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    I struggle with sugar too. I get into a bad cycle of binge-crash-craving-binge. Once I'm in the cycle, the cravings are practically impossible to overcome. I, too, live alone and have made that aweful 10pm store trip for "something sweet and crunchy" because I was climbing the walls, couldn't sleep, couldn't think about anything else, etc. On the other hand, once I am out of the cycle, it becomes almost easy to resist. At that point, it does become about choices and being in charge of my behavior. The key is to get out of the cycle and stay out.

Here are some strategies I use:
    - Minimize all starchy carbs because crackers, cereal and bread stufffs create a "gateway" carb hunger. I have my macro goals set to 30-30-40. I focus on trying to acheive protein, which is mentally better for me than trying to limit carbs.
    - Push carbs as late in the day as possible - especially save some carbs for an after dinner treat. Otherwise, if I open up the "carb faucet" in the afternoon, it's hard to turn it off.
    - If I am craving sugar early in the day, I try to eat fruit first - especially pears, apples and bananas that are very sweet. Fruit doesn't create the same crash-craving effect. I figure fruit is to a sugar addict the way methadone is to a heroin addict. It's a crutch to get over the rough spots.
    - I do let myself have chocolate - but dark chocolate is better because it has less sugar and more flavor. Also, I find that salted dark chocolate is the best for avoiding binges because if I focus on the salt, it slows me down. (Luckily, I don't crave salt at all and find it super easy to maintain a low sodium diet). But, I still get some sort of sweet treat so that I don't obsess all night.

I've been in a bad cycle myself for a couple weeks and am working on getting myself back out now. I would love to hear other people's strategies.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Oddly, I didn't have my biggest problem with sugar.. I can something starbursts or mike and ikes and it does not make me binge.. I can control myself around sugary sweets although I REALLY enjoy them and sometimes overindulge, but for me it's just me giving into a craving, or overindulging.. it's something I CAN control. The feeling is different for me with WHEAT products though.. especially pastries, but even bread tempts me to the point of tears. I completely understand your feelings of addiction and feeling like you HAVE TO HAVE IT! It's not the same as how I feel about a nice steak or some ice cream... It's an overwhelming feeling that you NEED to have it in your belly. It's like I don't even care how it tastes, I just NEED to have it in my belly.

For me I cut out all wheat, other cereal grains, and also sugar completely. I haven't had any wheat product since December. It was NOT easy but after the first week, things got better. I will eventually add sugar and some cereal grains back in to my diet and practice moderation with it. If I struggle, I'll cut it out again and try again to introduce. (I suck at moderation but I want to learn it,). I have no plans however to add back in any wheat products though. I learned through an elimination diet that I don't tolerate it well and was causing inflammation in my joints if it wasn't for the inflammation, I'd want to add back wheat products in moderation as well but I don't think it's a good idea for me.

Anyway. Try cutting it out completely for a few months.. Then try adding back in in. If you fail and feel out of control again, then cut out again and try later.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    The book "I Quit Sugar" by Sarah Wilson will help. It's "Your complete 8-week detox program and cookbook". "Sarah's down-to--earth, practical approach makes the sugar-quitting process doable, while her recipes make it fun'. Also 'Sweet Poison' and 'Big Fat Lies' by David Gillespie
  • flying182
    flying182 Posts: 26
    I gave up biscuits when I read the ingredients - there are just so many bad things in there and the sugar is usually not the cane variety but the horrible high fructose corn syrup, then there are the trans fats, the chemical additives - get the picture? My sugar comes from fruit and if I want a biscuit, I make them using good old butter, granulated sugar, flour and an egg - that's the rule (so there aren't many days when my family can indulge in a biscuit, lol!) Same with chocolate, only buy the good brands - read the labels, read the labels, read the labels and don't buy the rubbish, its poisoning us!