How to track an easter dinner at the in-laws?

Options
I always look forward to the holidays especially when turkey and cranberry sauce is on the menu.

This year for Easter, my family and I will be eatting at my mother-in-laws house (she is an amazing cook).

So my problem is this, she always makes a big deal if I don't eat a lot of everything I like. She knows I am a picky eatter, so she trys to cater to me and makes all my favorites.

My typical holiday plate consists of....
Too much turkey, smothered in tons of homemade cranberry sauce. Veggie pees and carrot
, I hate potatoes. No gravy, but I love stuffing and a homemade roll with butter. Oh and pumpkin pie for desert.

So, my concern is her making a big deal about me not eatting certain things or making comments(which she has a tendency of doing out of love). She will say things like, "Is that it?", "I hope you're not on a diet.", "No gravy tonight?" And although I know she means no harm, I get embarrassed when its infront of a bunch of people (like 20)

So, how do I respond to comments like that and still make healthy choices?

Replies

• lorislosingit
    lorislosingit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about the same thing! I'm going to steer clear of the really unhealthy appetizers (I'm bringing cherry tomatoes and mozzarella skewers) and load up on salad, veggies, etc. And, I'm going to work out before I go over.

It sounds like you are on the right track - turkey w/ cranberry sauce, no gravy, no potatoes, one roll and a piece of dessert. Things to say:

No, thank you.
    No, thank you.
    No, thank you.

I'm full.
    I'm saving room for dessert.

Then try to excuse yourself from the table when you are done eating - maybe help clear the plates or load up the dishwasher?

Good luck. Like I said, I'm thinking about the same thing!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's one day, don't stress about it. Don't over eat just because, but certainly don't torture yourself by not eating. Relax, enjoy the meal and the family and go back at it the next day.
  • sarbear1993
    Options
    That's tough you do at least have 1 positive thing going for you...you know what's going to be served...use that to your advantage...and moving left over fod around your plate also makes it seem like you ate more.;)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's one day. I'd just enjoy the food and company and use it as a cheat day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Here is my way of thinking about it... Are you, for the rest of your life, not going to eat these meals the way you enjoy them? For me the answer is no. On holidays we have traditions and I want to enjoy those over the rest of my life. As such, I will eat them now like I will then. There are only a handful of these days a YEAR. It's not what you eat on holidays that makes you fat... it's the rest of the days that do it.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Here is my way of thinking about it... Are you, for the rest of your life, not going to eat these meals the way you enjoy them? For me the answer is no. On holidays we have traditions and I want to enjoy those over the rest of my life. As such, I will eat them now like I will then. There are only a handful of these days a YEAR. It's not what you eat on holidays that makes you fat... it's the rest of the days that do it.

That's a great way to look at it. Thank-you! :flowerforyou: