READ this blurb from a news article!

Options
4. Exercise does not burn off pounds
TRUE: It's hard to believe, but in a study of 411 women, those who worked out for over one, two, or three hours a week for six months didn't lose significantly more weight than those who'd devoted themselves to Sudoku or other sedentary pursuits. You'd think this finding was a fluke, but a recent review of 15 studies came to the same conclusion: Moderate workouts don't lead to weight loss, possibly because they make us hungrier. But there's also a biological explanation: As with weight loss, one of the ways your body adapts to an increase in exercise is to lower your resting metabolic rate about 7%, so you actually end up burning fewer calories - anywhere from 50 to 75 fewer per day, the review found.
Make this work for you: While exercise doesn't burn off the bulge, "it does boost your PFF: Pants Fit Factor," says Diana M. Thomas, Ph.D., of Montclair State University in New Jersey. "It helps reduce your waist and gives you a firmer, leaner-looking shape overall." What's more, a dwindling waistline is a key indicator that you're losing belly fat - the dangerous fat type that's linked to health problems like heart disease and diabetes.

Now this makes me feel defeated-like I should just sit around doing crossword puzzles all day to keep my BMR up? Thoughts??

Replies

• jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    4. Exercise does not burn off pounds
    TRUE: It's hard to believe, but in a study of 411 women, those who worked out for over one, two, or three hours a week for six months didn't lose significantly more weight than those who'd devoted themselves to Sudoku or other sedentary pursuits. You'd think this finding was a fluke, but a recent review of 15 studies came to the same conclusion: Moderate workouts don't lead to weight loss, possibly because they make us hungrier. But there's also a biological explanation: As with weight loss, one of the ways your body adapts to an increase in exercise is to lower your resting metabolic rate about 7%, so you actually end up burning fewer calories - anywhere from 50 to 75 fewer per day, the review found.
    Make this work for you: While exercise doesn't burn off the bulge, "it does boost your PFF: Pants Fit Factor," says Diana M. Thomas, Ph.D., of Montclair State University in New Jersey. "It helps reduce your waist and gives you a firmer, leaner-looking shape overall." What's more, a dwindling waistline is a key indicator that you're losing belly fat - the dangerous fat type that's linked to health problems like heart disease and diabetes.

Now this makes me feel defeated-like I should just sit around doing crossword puzzles all day to keep my BMR up? Thoughts??

The author of this article was confused. But the doc cited in the blurb says what's happening. Their body composition changed.
    They DID lose fat, just not much weight. Also it is hard to trust studies, they are very often flawed. They need to have a big sample size, control group, double blinding, and peer reviewal.

Keep getting your pump on. It works.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    agreed. It never states what the average weight of those 411 women are. I'd like to think that diet AND exercise has contributed to me losing 70 lbs, not just sitting on my butt doing suduko puzzles.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

The author of this article was confused. But the doc cited in the blurb says what's happening. Their body composition changed.
    They DID lose fat, just not much weight. Also it is hard to trust studies, they are very often flawed. They need to have a big sample size, control group, double blinding, and peer reviewal.

Keep getting your pump on. It works.

This.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love junk science in the media.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eww.. I just read the same article myself earlier today. I just closed it out...........and called bullsh*t. Very misleading article..
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I read the same thing today and thought that it was all bunk! Calories in, calories out!
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So the lazy bunch lost weight and still looked flabby because they lost their LBM. The workout bunch lost the same amount of weight but looks freakin' awesome because they kept the same general LBM and shed fat, instead. This is why anyone who knows what they are talking will stress measurements as opposed to weight. Sure, it's nice to see the pounds on the scale, but ultimately you diet so you can look hot and be healthy, not to simply lose weight.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So the lazy bunch lost weight and still looked flabby because they lost their LBM. The workout bunch lost the same amount of weight but looks freakin' awesome because they kept the same general LBM and shed fat, instead. This is why anyone who knows what they are talking will stress measurements as opposed to weight. Sure, it's nice to see the pounds on the scale, but ultimately you diet so you can look hot and be healthy, not to simply lose weight.

Love this!