How to do 30DS and running

I'm pretty darn out of shape at the moment. I've heard so many great things about the 30 Day Shred, and I've had the DVD for several months, but haven't done it seriously yet. I really want to do it, but I also want to run. I'm training for a 5K, and I do not want to have to stop and walk. How do people normally incorporate both? Is it a poor decision to do both on the same day? If so, how do you divide the days so that I can reap the benefits of each type of workout?

Replies

• aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    I did this and have seen lots of other people on MFP do it too! What I did was alternate running with 30DS 5 days a week!
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    I did C25K and 30DS daily back in January, till I injured myself from doing both things everyday.

C25k didn't terribly work for me. It worked up till week 5, and I found my success of 30 min straight running (and now, plus some) by extending my run by one minute each time.

I found once I hit 16min straight running, I was able to jump up to 20mins straight very easily at my next attempt, then 25, then 30. Now I'm back to doing one-minute-more, but only because I took a week off due to what I thought was a cold, but was allergies.

I'm about to start doing 30DS again daily or at the very least on my "rest days" from running. I'll see what works best for me - 30DS and strength or 30DS and running, but I've done it before, so I could probably do it again.

Edited to add: I found the "one more minute" approach more effective for me because once I stopped a ten min run, walked for 5mins, I couldn't find the energy or the stamina to run another ten. My body was like "Listen, woman. I *just* did this crap. Aren't you far enough away from whatever the hell is chasing you yet?"
  • sarahlove43
    sarahlove43 Posts: 26 Member
    I did both. I did 30DS everyday and I ran every other day. Personally, I didn't feel like 30DS was so tiring/intense that I wasn't able to run the same day.
  • Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    I'm doing both right now. Last week i decided to workout for 60 minutes each day so I am jogging at a moderate pace for 30 minutes (sometimes doing HITT which btw will help you perform better in a 5K. It'll help you be able to push yourself in the last 5 minutes) then resting for about an hour and then doing Ripped in 30 (which from what I hear is very similar to 30DS its just a step above). I am really really tired afterwards because I'm not used to working out for 60 minutes but its possible and as long as you take care of your muscles and give them a rest when they need one and a good stretch, i think doing both is totally fine.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    I did this and have seen lots of other people on MFP do it too! What I did was alternate running with 30DS 5 days a week!

So, 30DS on MWF and run on Tue/Thur with resting on the weekend? Do you then stretch out the 30DS to 10 weeks instead of the 30 days?
  • KassLamb
    I'm doing both right now. Last week i decided to workout for 60 minutes each day so I am jogging at a moderate pace for 30 minutes (sometimes doing HITT which btw will help you perform better in a 5K. It'll help you be able to push yourself in the last 5 minutes) then resting for about an hour and then doing Ripped in 30 (which from what I hear is very similar to 30DS its just a step above). I am really really tired afterwards because I'm not used to working out for 60 minutes but its possible and as long as you take care of your muscles and give them a rest when they need one and a good stretch, i think doing both is totally fine.

I've seen people mention HITT on here several times. What is it?
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    im doing both,i do 30 day shread everyday before breakfast,work all day then do 30 mins jogging in early evening 4days a week,not feeling to tierd
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    If you're out of shape, I would be reluctant to try both on the same day at first. Try alternating a running day with a 30DS day the following day. Three runs per week is enough to see huge gains in running while minimizing the chance of injury.
  • Hanjamlan
    Hanjamlan Posts: 34 Member
    High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is basically when you are doing cardio and you have different intervals and different intensities. For instance. When you run you do 1 min of sprinting and then 2 minutes of jogging/walking. That way you are making your heartrate go up and thus burning more calories and even during the jog your heartrate is still working hard but you are resting. And this way you are training your body to keep pushing hard during a race. my cross country coach had just do this often. He made us to 3 2 1. 3 minutes moderate pace, 2 minutes faster 1 minutes sprinting. We did this for 45 minutes. I got alot better at doing 5ks!!
  • KassLamb
    High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is basically when you are doing cardio and you have different intervals and different intensities. For instance. When you run you do 1 min of sprinting and then 2 minutes of jogging/walking. That way you are making your heartrate go up and thus burning more calories and even during the jog your heartrate is still working hard but you are resting. And this way you are training your body to keep pushing hard during a race. my cross country coach had just do this often. He made us to 3 2 1. 3 minutes moderate pace, 2 minutes faster 1 minutes sprinting. We did this for 45 minutes. I got alot better at doing 5ks!!

Wow! Sounds like it would be quite effective! I'm going to have to steer clear of sprinting all out, however. I don't trust myself to not get injured.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    I did shred everyday and C25K every other day unti I got into the last weeks of the running and then I started to alternate. Give it a try and see what works for you...it seemed like initially I took a rest day about every 10 days. Good luck!
  • KassLamb
    If you're out of shape, I would be reluctant to try both on the same day at first. Try alternating a running day with a 30DS day the following day. Three runs per week is enough to see huge gains in running while minimizing the chance of injury.

Thanks. I might try that. Do you think 1 rest day per week is enough for someone out of shape?
  • healthyfitjenn
    healthyfitjenn Posts: 36 Member
    I started the C25K program last week, and I'm going to start 30DS tomorrow. My plan is to do C25K on Tues, Thurs and Sat, and 30DS on Mon, Wed and Fri....
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    C25K is only 3 days a week so you could just alternate days between C25K and 30DS. Or you could do 3 days of one and 3 days of the other in order to still have a rest day. Even Jillian says she doesn't expect people to do 30DS in 30 days straight. I love going running/walking and would much rather do that than something inside but on rainy days I'll pop in 30DS just to have something to do.
  • KassLamb
    C25K is only 3 days a week so you could just alternate days between C25K and 30DS. Or you could do 3 days of one and 3 days of the other in order to still have a rest day. Even Jillian says she doesn't expect people to do 30DS in 30 days straight. I love going running/walking and would much rather do that than something inside but on rainy days I'll pop in 30DS just to have something to do.

I like the idea behind C25K, but it isn't very practical for me. I don't have an iThing or smartphone, so I would be constantly looking at my watch to know when to walk or run. I'm just going out and seeing how far I can get before I have to walk, and gradually increasing that as I get better. I like the 3 and 3 idea.
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    I am doing this. One day 30 day shred and one day couch2 5k. I am starting week 5 running, and completed 15 days of shred, halfway through level 2. With at least one day rest day per week. ( probably more rest days this week as I am not at home). I am 53 and a regular exerciser and I am finding it doable. once I am doe the shred, I plan on alternating the running with new rules of lifting.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    I Started C25K in Dec, and 30DS in Jan so I was doing both at the same time in Jan/ Feb. (I did 30DS for 6 weeks doing it 5 days a week).

I had no problems doing both. I would run M/W/F in the morning, and do the elliptical for 45 minutes in the mornings of T/R/Sat. Then 30DS in the evening. In fact I am still doing almost the same exact thing now, just replaced 30DS with RI30. I always keep Sunday as a rest day. (Maybe a nice walk or something.)

Since I finished C25K, now my runs are always around 5K, but I vary the intensity of it each time. Sometimes going for overall speed, sometimes sprints, sometimes just a slow plod, that kind of thing.

As a side note: My runs get better and better the more strength training I do. Can’t wait to begin my heavy lifting program as I think that is going to really shave off some running time.

Also would like to try that sprinting HIIT. I like the sound of the 3 2 1. I think I could do that for 30 minutes. I use a HRM, maybe I can get the burn higher doing this once a week or so.
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member

Thanks. I might try that. Do you think 1 rest day per week is enough for someone out of shape?

It all depends on how you feel. I started C25k and added 30DS in later. My first workout goal was to do something at least 4 days/week. My legs could not handle back-to-back running days, but I was 50lbs overweight when I started. Discomfort and soreness are normal but true pain is a definite sign to slow down.

You don't really need a timer or the app to start something like C25k. Wear a watch. Start with a brisk walk for a few minutes, jog for however long you can, and walk for a couple minutes to catch your breath. Repeat that cycle for 30 minutes. If you do that a couple of times a week, you'll be ready for a 5k in no time! Good luck on your race!
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    I use 30DS as my cross-training (I am currently training for a 10k and a half marathon). So I do it 2-3 times per week. It's not the official "program" in which you do it every day, but I enjoy it and it is a good option for adding some strength and ab work to my running routine. My typical week looks like:

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: run (speed work)
    Wednesday: 30DS
    Thursday: run (hills)
    Friday: 30DS
    Saturday: rest or easy run
    Sunday: long run

Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member

Great advice.

I did 30DS when I first started out combined with HIIT.