What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Cooking healthy is CHEAP and QUICK. It takes a couple of bucks a day and 30 minutes to load up a crockpot with a week's worth of nutritional goodness. I'm with WolfMan...world is full of people who just don't give enough of a **** to do it.

so let them eat cake, is what you're saying.

Can't force 'em to do otherwise, if that's what they want to do.

Either we believe in personal responsibility and the right to make choices, or we don't.

Or we believe in mutual obligation between citizens and the state and consider that absolute freedom doesn't exist anywhere and that all of these are negotiations weighing collective and individual goods against each other

Of course.

But that means no "heavy hand". :wink: And a "heavy hand" is the ONLY way you're going to get through a policy that makes food more expensive or limits portion sizes in restaurants or gets widespread adoption of CSAs.

No, it means the state is within its rights to impose limitations on freedom to the individual if that freedom comes with too great a cost to the many; further, a heavy hand would actually be protecting citizens' welfare and would mean the state would be holding up its end of the deal.

Good luck convincing voters.

:drinker:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I did the other day notice. I was at the park with the kids. I looked around at all the parents and it was a crowded day so there were probably 50 parents or more and about 3 were skinny or athletic about half were morbidly obese and rest were obese. Then I looked at the kids the kids with the heaviest paren5s were also the heaviest. Onky a very few kids were skinny athletic the rest were overweight and couldn't run and keep up with the other kids. I felt so bad bc I know what they have to look forward to bc I was a heavy kid. but growing up I never saw many overweight kids and never any morbidly obese kids. A 5 year old shoyld not have big rolls of fat. I feel so sorry they suffer so early on.

Luckily my kids did not take up my bad habits and are in the under category. People always say how skinny they are! I say actually they are normal size and eat like crazy! But we do not buy junk food and they eat pretty much healthy. They are very active tho. They are constantly running, moving, dancing, cycling or some activity. They inspire me to keep active cause I want to be athletic like they are!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Cooking healthy is CHEAP and QUICK. It takes a couple of bucks a day and 30 minutes to load up a crockpot with a week's worth of nutritional goodness. I'm with WolfMan...world is full of people who just don't give enough of a **** to do it.

Either we believe in personal responsibility and the right to make choices, or we don't.

Or we believe in mutual obligation between citizens and the state and consider that absolute freedom doesn't exist anywhere and that all of these are negotiations weighing collective and individual goods against each other

Of course.

But that means no "heavy hand". :wink: And a "heavy hand" is the ONLY way you're going to get through a policy that makes food more expensive or limits portion sizes in restaurants or gets widespread adoption of CSAs.

No, it means the state is within its rights to impose limitations on freedom to the individual if that freedom comes with too great a cost to the many; further, a heavy hand would actually be protecting citizens' welfare and would mean the state would be holding up its end of the deal.

Um...

Ruh-roh.

Grab your popcorn, folks, s***'s about to get real all up in here.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. ?
    I appreciate it, makes dating a lot easier for me.

When you're in the minority, it makes you a far better catch.

Ha! But the side effect is that it's also harder to find people to date with the same appreciation for health.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Of course.

Um...

Ruh-roh.

'Murica!

Bloomberg-Soda-Ban.jpg
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Of course.

Um...

Ruh-roh.

'Murica!

Bloomberg-Soda-Ban.jpg

This sentiment alone is, possibly, enough reason to put up with our miserable winters up here.
  • jessicadb2
    jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Today, while I was out and about shopping...I saw something that broke my heart and then scared me. Almost everyone I saw, men, women, little boys and girls, teens and even babies...so many people, I'd say 10 to 1 people were/are obese, morbidly obese and overweight and while it sadden me greatly...it SCARED me too. Everywhere I looked people are totally obese and morbidly obese and overweight EVERYWHERE! Of course, I'm one of them, which is why I'm here, but still--it was like something from the movie Wall-E or the Twilight Zone or something:cry::brokenheart: :embarassed: :ohwell: :cry:

I literally started counting how many slim/trim people I saw, because they were so few and far in between--I could literally count them. I saw many overweight people (especially young people) as well, I mean A LOT, everywhere.

What do you think when you see soooooo many obese, morbidly obese and overweight people(men, women, children, teens and even babies) far out numbering the so-called normal weight (I like to call slim and trim---NOT skinny...I did see a couple/few skinny people (mostly girls) but hardly any skinny/underweight people at ALL). What do you think of this--or do you think about it at all?

What do you think will happen to us as a society--because this isn't news, but obesity seems to be spreading outta control--it looked terrible and sad and scary and I'm super concerned--are you?

This is probably how some people feel, but as a heavier person, I actually think obesity is less severe than they make it out to be. I read a statistic that only about 8% of people are over 100 lbs overweight. 92% of people are either a healthy weight, underweight or up to 99 lbs overweight. I think that is pretty good. Because as someone who has gone beyond 100 lbs overweight, I can tell you the worst effects of obesity start at about level with sex issues, energy, being able to walk and so on. I can still fit into normal size clothes at 210-220 lbs and walk 70 minutes with ease. I feel pretty good. It is just when I start getting heavier than that that I feel like I have been hit by a mac truck and everything in life is harder.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

Of course.

Um...

Ruh-roh.

'Murica!

Bloomberg-Soda-Ban.jpg

This sentiment alone is, possibly, enough reason to put up with our miserable winters up here.

Speak for yourself - out here on the left coast I've been running in shorts all "winter". :tongue:
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jessicadb2 wrote: »
    Today, while I was out and about shopping...I saw something that broke my heart and then scared me. Almost everyone I saw, men, women, little boys and girls, teens and even babies...so many people, I'd say 10 to 1 people were/are obese, morbidly obese and overweight and while it sadden me greatly...it SCARED me too. Everywhere I looked people are totally obese and morbidly obese and overweight EVERYWHERE! Of course, I'm one of them, which is why I'm here, but still--it was like something from the movie Wall-E or the Twilight Zone or something:cry::brokenheart: :embarassed: :ohwell: :cry:

I literally started counting how many slim/trim people I saw, because they were so few and far in between--I could literally count them. I saw many overweight people (especially young people) as well, I mean A LOT, everywhere.

What do you think when you see soooooo many obese, morbidly obese and overweight people(men, women, children, teens and even babies) far out numbering the so-called normal weight (I like to call slim and trim---NOT skinny...I did see a couple/few skinny people (mostly girls) but hardly any skinny/underweight people at ALL). What do you think of this--or do you think about it at all?

What do you think will happen to us as a society--because this isn't news, but obesity seems to be spreading outta control--it looked terrible and sad and scary and I'm super concerned--are you?

This is probably how some people feel, but as a heavier person, I actually think obesity is less severe than they make it out to be. I read a statistic that only about 8% of people are over 100 lbs overweight. 92% of people are either a healthy weight, underweight or up to 99 lbs overweight. I think that is pretty good. Because as someone who has gone beyond 100 lbs overweight, I can tell you the worst effects of obesity start at about level with sex issues, energy, being able to walk and so on. I can still fit into normal size clothes at 210-220 lbs and walk 70 minutes with ease. I feel pretty good. It is just when I start getting heavier than that that I feel like I have been hit by a mac truck and everything in life is harder.

If I were 30 pounds over my max healthy BMI then I would be obese. I feel you're trying to minimize the situation by using pounds as a unit of measure. BMI is flawed in many ways but it's not nearly as misleading as looking only at pounds.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Of course.

Um...

Ruh-roh.

'Murica!

Bloomberg-Soda-Ban.jpg

Speak for yourself - out here on the left coast I've been running in shorts all "winter". :tongue:

Aha, yeah. Maybe I'll think about it again, at the same time that I contemplate the freezing rain warning for tonight's commute.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Parents are paranoid to let their kids go play outside any more. They sit indoors on their butts playing video games instead. lack of nutritional education, decent food costs a lot and fast food is cheap, helicopter parents interfering with normal play, too much homework, marketing junk to kids, parents who make their kids clean their plates.... I could go on all day. it's all a bunch of toxic ingredients in the recipe for obesity.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    jessicadb2 wrote: »
    This is probably how some people feel, but as a heavier person, I actually think obesity is less severe than they make it out to be. I read a statistic that only about 8% of people are over 100 lbs overweight.

If I had any hope left for humanity, that would have taken care of it.

The idea that obesity isn't a "real" problem until someone hits 100+ pounds overweight is...I don't even know what to say....

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Now that has changed, it's due to lifestyle and the poisons in foods (video games, Internet, texting, McDonald's on every corner.

Mario and other video games never made people fat, just like playing board games like Monopoly never made people fat.
    The Internet never made people fat just like televisions and telephones never made people fat.
    Texting never made people fat, just like writing letters never made people fat.

You know what makes people obese? Eating more calories than they burn each day for extended periods of time. Period. Full-stop.

Assigning blame to things which are not the problem does nothing to solve the problem.
  • tomatoey
    edited April 2015
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Now that has changed, it's due to lifestyle and the poisons in foods (video games, Internet, texting, McDonald's on every corner.

Mario and other video games never made people fat, just like playing board games like Monopoly never made people fat.
    The Internet never made people fat just like televisions and telephones never made people fat.

You know what makes people obese? Eating more calories than they burn each day for extended periods of time. Period. Full-stop.

Assigning blame to things which are not the problem does nothing to solve the problem.

Yeah, ok, that's the immediate cause of any one person's obesity. It doesn't explain why 66% of murricans and canucks are overweight or obese now, vs. the past.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Yeah, ok, that's the immediate cause of any one person's obesity. It doesn't explain why 66% of murricans and canucks are overweight or obese now, vs. the past.

'Cause we're lazy and can afford to get away with it.
  • tomatoey
    Options

'Cause we're lazy and can afford to get away with it.

Mmm, not convinced, sorry. We were always this lazy (most likely), and the middle class has declined since the post WWII boom.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a problem; sugar, soda, junk food, its consumption is out of control. People have choices, but eating healthy is expensive and most people would rather spend their money on stuff.