What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The best advice I took during my weight loss is when grocery shopping, stay out of the middle of the store because all the good stuff is near the walls. All the Fruits, veggies, meat, and dairy. I do follow this as much as I can but when I venture into the middle isles, I see the problem. You can see the difference in shopping decisions. In my location many more fit/healthy looking people are near the perimeter of the store, many less healthy looking people fill the middle isles.

Obesity is not an epidemic it is a chosen lifestyle. You either change it or you don't, besides having a medical condition there is really no excuse. You don't even have to exercise at all.

IMO Kids don't just need to play more they really need to eat less. Fast food and sweets aren't forcing kids to get fat, parents are feeding kids too much.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in the UK and have lived for many years in Australia, two countries that statistically are catching up with the US in the obesity stakes. A few years ago though I went to live in Ohio for a year and it made me realise that whilst the UK and Australia may have increasing numbers with a BMI in the obese range they are way behind when it comes to numbers in the morbidly obese range. A number of things struck me as different in the US which possibly have an impact. Firstly there were hardly any sidewalks, and where there were there was never anyone using them. I could see the grocery store from my window but it was literally impossible to walk there without getting run over. Also whereas back home I hang my washing to dry and stand at the sink to wash up, in the States it was all dishwashers and tumble dryers - machines did everything. So the incidental exercise which is normal to most parts of the world is missing in the US. I'd take my kid to the playground and never see another family there so the kids arent running around either.

Secondly when I went to get groceries I'd often be the only shopper in the fresh veg section, and I frequently had to identify veg to the cashier so they could price them. My trolley would often get a second glance from other shoppers because it wasnt full of processed food. We lived right at the edge of a city in Ohio and I live right at the edge of a city in Australia but in Ohio there were 20 restaurants and 15 fast food places within less than a 5 minute drive. Here I have a 20 minute drive to the nearest fast food and only one restaurant anywhere close.

I guess what Im trying to say by this ramble is that everyone in the first world are living life styles where becoming overweight is easy but the US takes it to a whole new level where morbid obesity is enabled every step of the way.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You can trace the start of the epidemic back to the 70's. That was when the shift from whole food to processed and fast foods kicked into high gear. Growing up we didn't have a lot of cash to feed a large family, we ate whole foods that were cooked at home. We didn't get sweets from the store, we made our own using real sugar, butter and whole flour. We grew our own vegies, and canned what we couldn't eat fresh. We went to the orchards and berry fields and picked what fruit was in season. We canned fruit and made our own jam and jelly. We drank whole milk and ate fresh eggs from a local farm. We did get the 5 cent loaves of cheap white bread from the day old bakery outlet and put it in the freezer.....7 lunch sandwiches a day would use an entire loaf. We never "bought" lunch at school. In the mid to late 70's my brothers were graduating and moving out of the house. We stopped "making our own" and started using store bought stuff. I (the youngest) was the only one in my family who had a weight problem.

This is also when all the additives, "fake fats" and GMO's came into play. The "for your health" diets started popping up in the late 70's and early 80's....no real fat, no salt, no sugar, etc. All these artificial foods and chemical additives had no long term testing done. All the pesticides being used to kill bugs is in our soil, little testing was done on the effects on humans. All the altered feed and antibiotics for the animals raised as food. Humans had been eatting whole foods for how many years? Let's change it!!

Most kids born after 1970 don't know (and didn't want to know) how to deal with whole foods. They were raised with the processed foods and eatting out often. People became more sedentary. This is what was taught to their kids, this is what is being taught to the next generation. Hindsight is 20/20.....but the government won't fess up to their part in it.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad here in the Pacific NW. Most of the people I see in public places look height/weight proportionate, pretty much. Those I identify as obese are in the minority. I definitely see them, but not as many as people I'd consider to be of normal weight. Some of them are probably overweight, statistically speaking.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My husband and I made the same observation when we were at Six Flags last summer... it was something like 50% of all people we saw could definitely be classified as "overweight", nevermind obese. It was prevalent in both adults and children.:brokenheart:

I think about this anytime I go to places like Cheesecake Factory where they serve you a plate that could easily feed a family, and you see many people gladly scarfing down the whole thing themselves. I also think about it when I go to the Chinese Buffet and see how much people slap on their plates.. .as well as those Chinese Restaurants in the mall food court where they give you mounds of rice and Orange Chicken that are overflowing the styrafoam takeout container.

It really is a sad epidemic, and I hate that our nation has turned into one that "lives to eat" instead of "eats to live".
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad here in the Pacific NW. Most of the people I see in public places look height/weight proportionate, pretty much. Those I identify as obese are in the minority. I definitely see them, but not as many as people I'd consider to be of normal weight. Some of them are probably overweight, statistically speaking.

Good point, its really going to be depend where you are located in the US as well. I'm in Texas, which think most southern states have bad obesity rates.
  • victoronlife
    victoronlife Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's an unfortunate combination of technology (kids are less likely to go play outside when they could play a game instead), marketing (makes a 1500 calorie burger look really really good), schools (let's face it, school food is not the most nutritional thing out there, and they are cutting back on recess), parenting (parents are obese, and make bad choices, so the kids follow suit) and money (a craptastic meal from McDonalds costs less than something healthy from the market).
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wow, these replies are profound to me and also kinda of push of sorts for me too! Thank you ALL so much for your thoughts on this most important subject!
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    I'm honestly disgusted and saddened by the obesity rate in children. It is completely unacceptable.

I blame the advancement in technology- All kids do nowadays is sit in their homes and play video games, watch TV, etc.

The media- For scaring the living $h!t out of people, and causing them to keep their children confined in their home in fear that something horrible may happen. Sure, we do live in a sick disgusting world but you can't live in fear your entire life. Let your kid go out and ride his/her bicycle, play tag with his/her other bubble friends that aren't allowed to leave the house, get your kid involved in some kind of sport, anything to get them moving!

The higher divorce rate- Single parents have to work full-time in order to provide for their kids, pay their bills, and keep a roof over their head. Somebody who works 40+ hours per week doesn't want to come home and cook a healthy meal, it's too time consuming and exhausting after a long work day- or at least that's the excuse I've heard from others. Ordering pizza or going through the McDonalds drive-thru is far more convenient. This also applies to families who are not divorced. Since the economy has gone down hill, there aren't many stay at home parents anymore. So both parents work full-time, go home and the house needs to be cleaned, the kids need to be cared for, yadayadayada and mom and dad are too tired to cook after all of that.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Portland, Oregon isn't so bad. I used to live in Eugene, Oregon and there were definitely more obese people there, but still most people were normal weight. It could be a combination of mild weather making outdoor activities feasible year round as well as an abundance of fresh, organic food. In the summer, you can literally eat free produce. Lettuce, herbs, mushrooms, berries and tree fruits grow wild just about everywhere. Growing a garden is a cinch. You'll end up with more food than you know what to do with even in the smallest container garden.

My guess is that it is the food that is the problem. Plenty of people have been sedentary, but not suffer from obesity. People don't know how to cook and are reliant on restaurants and pre-packaged meals. When you prepare all of your own food, you have more of an appreciation of what goes into particular dishes. If you've never made a batch of Toll House cookies, you may not be aware of how much butter and sugar are in those things! (half a pound of butter and 1.5 cups of sugar before adding in the chocolate and nuts!)

Once you start preparing all of your meals from scratch, what you eat is a real eye opener.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that combine to produce this illness (and anyone who thinks it isn't an illness isn't paying attention to the disease matrix that surrounds obesity). I personally think it starts with vaccines, in infancy. Vaccines are an assault on the immune system. My grandchildren are un-vaccinated and they enjoy unusual health and vitality---none of them have needed antibiotics. Not so, the vaccinated grandchildren of my friends. My friends say, "We never took antibiotics--never needed them. Seems like they are always on antibiotics now." Doctors have gotten more conservative about the administration of antibiotics, and that is a good thing, but weakened immune systems need antibiotics more often. Our grandparents (and their siblings) never got any vaccines and the vast majority of them lived to ripe old ages. Modern sanitation and nourishing food did a lot more for them than vaccines ever could. I might point out that our adult children got only about a quarter of the injections today's children get and each injection does further damage to their immune systems. Don't believe drug company "science" and propaganda--vaccines harm children.

Next comes round after round of antibiotics (because many vaccinated children have a tough time fighting off infections). It should be remembered that the largest use of antibiotics in this country is agricultural use. And they are used TO FATTEN livestock and make the animals grow bigger, faster!

Is there something in the water that's contributing? You bet! Fluoride--supposedly to make us have better dental health---is interfering with the thyroid activity of millions upon millions of people, because it fills iodine receptor sites. Thyroid disease is epidemic and it only takes a slight loss of thyroid function to cause a piling on of the pounds over time.

Diet is, as many of you have mentioned, is very important. Sugar and starch is calorie-dense and nutrient-poor, a recipe for weight gain. In addition, high carbohydrate diets are also implicated in loss of thyroid function.

Then, we have other pharmaceuticals, like psychoactive drugs which are being passed out like candy and they are notorious for causing weight gain. I know a young girl who was put on Seroquel and gained a hundred pounds and acquired Type II diabetes out of it. And she is STILL depressed!

Finally, are the kids sedentary because they are overweight, or are they overweight because they are sedentary? Both.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. ?

I think it's hard to NOT be obese in this country. There is so much fast food, junk food, soda, etc. None of it is healthy but we buy it because it's cheap and it tastes good. Especially when money is tight, like it is now. I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

The food industry makes tons of money off our hunger, and the medical industry makes tons of money when we get sick. It's a win-win situation for them. So they keep shoving this cheap crap down our throats, knowing we will buy it. Until something major changes in this country, the obesity epidemic will continue.

If only we had free will.

Then we could make better choices.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't like the term epidemic. In my mind, an epidemic is a communicable disease. I don't believe being overweigh is communicable nor do I believe it is a disease.

Actually, studies prove that obesity is contagious:
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/yourlife/food/diet-nutrition/2010-11-05-obese05_ST_N.htm
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    If I shared what I really thought, I would get banned..

It's disgusting.. coming from someone who lives in a country where the majority of people live in a similar society as USA and are not as obese! Our country still has most of the fast food chains, mainstream food companies that our neighbours to the south have but it feels like our world is much different than those of Americans.

From an outsider looking in, I think a lot of the problem is attitude.. I read a post on LIVESTRONG.COM's Facebook page where they posted an article about NY mayor proposing a law banning large size soda. The proposal got overturned in the end but so many people on FB had the mentality that "this is America, if I wanna be fat I have that right".. there were even mothers who were in an uproar about it, happily admitting they always buy soda for their children. One woman who claimed to be a member of the navy harped on about how she was happy that she doesn't "have to pay" for the people who supported the ban and went on about how it is very un-American to support it.

When I grew up, computers were Commodores with floppy disks - I still had one, a TV in my room, game consoles.. but my parents always told me to go outside and play. Not many folks are doing that these days.. people out of stress turn to take out more than once a week and good, healthy food is becoming more pricey. I really think that if most Americans who are obese/overweight took charge, dropped the attitude and stopped supporting these big corps who create and offer poor food in grocery stores, there would be dramatic changes for the better.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think it's pathetic and embarassing. I was especially ashamed when I went to Europe on vacation and someone said, "You don't look like an American. You look good." We need to get our collective *kitten* together and stop making excuses for our gluttony and sloth. It's disgusting. :sick:

That happened to me too. I was visiting friends in France and a couple of people I talked to wondered how I could be an American since I was slender.
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    People aren't all that fat in the Boston area. Of course there are some fat/obese people, but it's not pervasive, IMO. I think it's a mentality and a lifestyle that promotes it.

I'm from New Jersey originally and it's the same way up there! There are overweight/obese people, but not half as much as there are in South Carolina which is where I live now. I can't even tell you the last time I saw somebody who was at a healthy weight aside from the people at my gym.
  • SRHelicity
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that combine to produce this illness (and anyone who thinks it isn't an illness isn't paying attention to the disease matrix that surrounds obesity). I personally think it starts with vaccines, in infancy. Vaccines are an assault on the immune system. My grandchildren are un-vaccinated and they enjoy unusual health and vitality---none of them have needed antibiotics. Not so, the vaccinated grandchildren of my friends. My friends say, "We never took antibiotics--never needed them. Seems like they are always on antibiotics now." Doctors have gotten more conservative about the administration of antibiotics, and that is a good thing, but weakened immune systems need antibiotics more often. Our grandparents (and their siblings) never got any vaccines and the vast majority of them lived to ripe old ages. Modern sanitation and nourishing food did a lot more for them than vaccines ever could. I might point out that our adult children got only about a quarter of the injections today's children get and each injection does further damage to their immune systems. Don't believe drug company "science" and propaganda--vaccines harm children.

Next comes round after round of antibiotics (because many vaccinated children have a tough time fighting off infections). It should be remembered that the largest use of antibiotics in this country is agricultural use. And they are used TO FATTEN livestock and make the animals grow bigger, faster!

Is there something in the water that's contributing? You bet! Fluoride--supposedly to make us have better dental health---is interfering with the thyroid activity of millions upon millions of people, because it fills iodine receptor sites. Thyroid disease is epidemic and it only takes a slight loss of thyroid function to cause a piling on of the pounds over time.

Diet is, as many of you have mentioned, is very important. Sugar and starch is calorie-dense and nutrient-poor, a recipe for weight gain. In addition, high carbohydrate diets are also implicated in loss of thyroid function.

Then, we have other pharmaceuticals, like psychoactive drugs which are being passed out like candy and they are notorious for causing weight gain. I know a young girl who was put on Seroquel and gained a hundred pounds and acquired Type II diabetes out of it. And she is STILL depressed!

Finally, are the kids sedentary because they are overweight, or are they overweight because they are sedentary? Both.

You have diet and a sedentary lifestyle *after* scientifically-invalid thoughts on the roles of vaccines and antibiotics on weight? How do vaccines and antibiotics explain the regional and socioeconomic differences observed in obesity rates across the country? We know that obesity rates are much lower in Colorado and other areas where outdoor recreation is much more common. In addition, socioeconomic status is strongly correlated with the quality of the diet, calories consumed, and obesity rates. Changes in diet and "play"/exercising habits directly affect caloric balance (more "calories in" and fewer "calories out"), which makes sense when it comes to explaining the rise in weights.

Do you have results well-designed studies in peer-reviewed journals that attribute the rise in obesity to vaccines or antibiotics?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It is especially difficult for people in longterm health care. when it takes 3 people to simply turn them it speaks volumes. The young and the old all ways get push to the wayside.