What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    We're going to be like the movie Wall-E. Everyone fat and riding around in hovers with a 64oz drink in the hand.
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    Not sure if anyone had mentioned it in this thread, but there's a good 4-episode documentary series called "Weight of the Nation" that you can watch for free online. It discussed a lot of the causes and consenquences of the obesity epidemic in the US. Touches on the medical consequences, the impact of modern food production and urban design, childhood obesity, and also folks trying to lose weight. I highly recommend it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I think EVERYONE IS FAT IN THE U.S/
    PROUD TO BE CANADIAN..
    ha ha ha ha ha
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i am from India, and yes this is a problem, in cities , where people have access to global fast food chains and it is a kind of sign of prosperity to be able to afford them!retail chains are uprooting farmers' markets one by one,local species are being exterminated in favor of high yield hybrid varieties. . it's a bleak future. relentless advertising is pushing older children to processed food. we are the diabetes capital of the world.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious - there are people saying they just didn't know how many calories was in everything they ate but did they not notice themselves getting bigger?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of how in denial we are of this epidemic. Rather than insult people with the realization of how obese they are, clothing sizes have shifted with our body sizes over time. A woman's size 8 in 1950 would wear a size 00 today. Most people can't actually even fit into vintage clothing. There is a similar trend with clothes sized S,M,L. The simple fact is that people don't like buying clothing that tells them how fat they are, so retailers select brands that are sized larger than others and over time this has increased the size of S,M, and L. Retailers that make their own brands are really aware of this and market to their clientele, so S, M, L run larger at Walmart than say the GAP.

So true! As an example, when I was in high school, I weighed 135 pounds at 5'6" and wore a size 13/14,,,now I weigh 162 pounds and wear a size 10/12. Vanity sizing.

i was dismayed to see that Walmart carries size 4xl and womens size 30 pants..(thats a 48 inch waist in men's sizes). and they carry 54 inch waist and 5xl clothing for men too

while i would have been happy to see it before, when i was still just eeating and letting <b>"fat happen"</b> it proves , that we retail to the consumers we have,

Okay, so you don't like it that people have gotten that fat. Neither do I.

I see it as the outcome of a set of really awful social and economic changes in our society, most of which people weren't really aware of until they looked around and realized everyone had gotten FAT. Once we're here, its really difficult for many people to buck those circumstances and resist those changes and lose again.

So what the heck are they supposed to wear while they do this? Is this one of those arguments like "If Torrid didn't exist, then teenagers wouldn't be fat?" Because shaming people by making it impossible for them to get dressed in the morning is apparently the way to get them to take charge of their own health?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone had mentioned it in this thread, but there's a good 4-episode documentary series called "Weight of the Nation" that you can watch for free online. It discussed a lot of the causes and consenquences of the obesity epidemic in the US. Touches on the medical consequences, the impact of modern food production and urban design, childhood obesity, and also folks trying to lose weight. I highly recommend it.

I watched that on HBO – it really was very informative and compelling. I highly recommend it as well.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I work third shift at a 24 hour major retail center and I have noticed that even though very few customers actually come in during my shift, many of the ones who DO come in are so obese that they require those motorized shopping carts to get their groceries. Two in particular (a father/son pair) have regularly asked me to help them reach things for them on the top three shelves because it was so difficult for them to stand and reach upward, even for a few moments. They once admitted to me (with a shame I know all too well) that they choose to shop at 3am because there are fewer people there to stare, point, and make hateful comments. It is not my place to pass judgement, but the food choices I've seen them make are absolutely awful. Sugary cereals, jumbo bags of candies, and never a veggie or fruit in their baskets. It's a terrifying health epidemic. I, myself, am morbidly obese, but seeing these people who have gotten so out of hand that they can't even walk anymore? That scares me. I never want to be like that, so I'm doing my best to reverse the damages I've already done.

I know. I really can't understand how anyone could see something like that and then claim, without a shred of irony, that it's all about personal responsibility.

I mean, I don't personally believe in free will and I know that makes me a rare bird. I get it is near impossible to stop believing in free will.

But I still don't see how you could know that people are losing their mobility to food choices they continue to makes and still firmly believe those people are in control of their lives.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options

I watched that on HBO – it really was very informative and compelling. I highly recommend it as well.

I wept often while watching that doc.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    People make it more complicated than it is. It's the food. That's it. I lived in Thailand for some time and the only fat native I saw was my aunt. And she actually has a thyroid issue. There's fast food there-- people don't have it all the time and, more importantly, an adult meal there is hardly any larger than a kids' meal here in the U.S. If you go to a regular Thai restaurant, the entrees (in addition to being overall healthier) are closer in size to entrees here, but they're meant to be shared by a family (and they are). I noticed the same when I lived in Mexico and when I traveled in Europe. Nothing approaches the size of adult meals here. And that, is why the United States is fat.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I wept often while watching that doc.

As did I. It also really inspires me to finish my own journey then find a way to pay it forward – becoming a trainer, nutritionist, we'll see. I just had so much support at the times I really didn't feel like it was possible. Maybe that's how it changes – maybe we all become more compassionate and help each other rather than putting each other down and shaming each other.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i think it has a lot to do with stress and misinformation and general ignorance of the public.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about other people being overweight simply because it's none of my business.:smile:
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    As did I. It also really inspires me to finish my own journey then find a way to pay it forward – becoming a trainer, nutritionist, we'll see. I just had so much support at the times I really didn't feel like it was possible. Maybe that's how it changes – maybe we all become more compassionate and help each other rather than putting each other down and shaming each other.

Well put.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Animal Mother, What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

What do I think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.? I think we should win.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about other people being overweight simply because it's none of my business.:smile:

It is when your insurance premium will go up to support a generally obese population of often sick people. A healthy society is good for all.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options

It is when your insurance premium will go up to support a generally obese population of often sick people. A healthy society is good for all.

Nope...still none of my business if others are overweight.:smile:
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    Hey Animal Mother, What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

What do I think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.? I think we should win.

You shoot obese people? How can you shoot obese people?

Easy, you just don't lead quite so much.

I feel like you forced me to make that joke and now I'm going to hell and it is your fault.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You are so correct, it is cheaper to eat unhealthy.
    In FL we have lots of poor and homeless people. I did a tour of one of the pantry places for the homesless and disadvantages. I want to believes parents want to feel there kids healty. But when you can get the starch food, you can stretch your dollar further. The pantry was remodeling to have more fresh veggies an fruits and making contact with local farmer to supply the fresh food.

It is a start, but we have been a society of convenience for a while and it is going to take a lot to reverse that trend. I am guilty of stopping to pick up dinner on my way home, and it's cheap. I am sure working mom's and dad's have had a long day an want convenince also.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm English, and while we have an increasing obesity problem, it's nowhere near as bad as in the US. I've only been to the States once, and that was in 2003. We went to San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas. I don't recall that many obese people except in Vegas, and I assume most were tourists anyway. What I do recall is the huge portion sizes, stupidly big portions that I couldn't finish. I also noticed that people drive everywhere. In England we walk. I rarely use my car. My kids walk loads or use their scooters.

I lived in France for a year as part of my degree and as a rule they are slimmer there than in the UK. I think they have a healthier attitude towards food and meals tend to be a family occasion and enjoyed and eaten slowly.

What makes me sad about the OP is the mention of the obese babies and children. They don't have a choice. I have 2 young children and I am proud to say they have never been to McDonald's or KFC or anywhere like that. I went to Costa (like Starbucks) with my 3 year old yesterday and he chose a fruit smoothie. Both kids eat what I make for dinner and don't eat processed crap. I can take them to the supermarket and not have them ask for chocolate and sweets, and if they do and I say no, I don't get a tantrum. It breaks my heart to think kids the same age could be obese.