Eggs good or bad?

Options
Adah_m
Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
Hello everyone! I'm having a debate with my husband on the merits of eggs.
It all started when I told him I would rather have two eggs for breakfast with a small source of fiber, than having toast and fruit, because the protein seems to sustain me longer and I find it easier to stay under calorie goal for the day when I start with eggs.
He said if I eat two eggs every morning I'm going to die of a heart attack.
I found an article saying that yes, eggs are higher in cholesterol, but that does not translate to "We eat them, our cholesterol levels automatically go up." If eaten right, and not paired with a healthy dose of bacon, real butter, and whole milk, we're safe. I pair mine with healthy vegetables and whole wheat toast.
This is what I read: http://authoritynutrition.com/why-are-eggs-good-for-you/

He cited this article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

Has anyone seen any reputable research/studies showing that eating high cholesterol foods, in limited quantity, will not raise your cholesterol, as the first article claims?

Here is the excerpt, by the way:
"Eggs do NOT Cause Heart Disease
Historically, eggs have been considered unhealthy because they contain cholesterol.

A large egg contains 212mg of cholesterol, which is a lot compared to most other foods.

However, it has been proven, time and time again, that eggs and dietary cholesterol do NOT adversely affect cholesterol levels in the blood.

In fact, eggs raise HDL (the good) cholesterol. They also change LDL cholesterol from small, dense LDL (which is bad) to large LDL, which is benign (1, 2, 3).

A new meta-analysis published in 2013 looked at 17 prospective studies on egg consumption and health. They discovered that eggs had no association with either heart disease or stroke in otherwise healthy people (4).

This isn’t new data. Multiple older studies have led to the same conclusion (5, 6).

Bottom Line: Despite the fear mongering of the past few decades, eating eggs and cholesterol has no association whatsoever with heart disease."

Thoughts? Arguments? Rage? Support? :happy:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That article is from a year ago. I've read also that eggs help the good cholesterol. I eat the Eggland's best eggs personally, they have less fat and just taste better to me lol.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol. Eat the eggs.

Both the links specifically say "In healthy people."

So I guess, both are correct.

• soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have an egg white sandwich with a laughing cow cheese on a bread thin almost every morning. Sometimes I through in a few tablespoons of turkey sausage crumbles. I do leave the yolk out most days.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i also remember reading that the omega 3s in eggs pretty much balance out any negative effects from the high cholesterol levels. your husband sounds a little paranoid ;-)
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It depends...some eggs get involved in extracurricular actives after school and really push themselves to excel. Other eggs drop out and hang out on street corners in seedy parts of town.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My (husband's) great-grand father ate 2 eggs and bacon every morning until he died at the age of 95.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the egg and what is best for you.
    Eggs are a complete protein.
    It helps curb hunger.
    I eat eggs every morning and have not dropped over from a heart attack yet :tongue:
  • tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    Eat the eggs. And if you can get fresh eggs (directly from the chicken) eat those. They are soooo much better tasting. I do much better when I start my day with a baked egg and toast. Spray ramiken (sp?) with Pam. Line it with THIN slice deli ham. Add one whole egg. Bake at 350 for 12-17 minutes (depends on how done you like your egg). 80 calories. You can get real exciting and add a little grated parm cheese.
  • santaclaus1957
    Options
    BY ALL MEANS HAVE 2 ORGANIC EGGS OR IGG AND 1/4 CP WHITES WITH VEGIES ON THE SIDE OR COOKED IN......EZKIEL BREAD OR EZKIEL ENGLISH MUFFIN....FILLING GREAT.....ENJOY YOUR EGGS.....YES THEY KEEP U FULL LONGER AND ARE GREAT FOR YOU.....JUST LIGHTLY SPRAY WITH EVOO...
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started eating an egg sandwich just about every morning since last August and my blood work last month was better than it has ever been. Plus I stay full longer and I have lost weight.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good, pastured eggs are my favorite!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Seconding the pastured eggs. The drive to the farm is worth it. I'm going to pick up some duck eggs on Tuesday.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Our family easily goes through 36 pasture eggs per week. My kids LOVE softboiled eggs :) Oh and we eat them with butter and bacon too. I would be more concerned about what the refined flour in your toast is doing to your heart health vs the yolks of a fresh pastured egg imo.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I've also read several times that the dietary cholesterol does not affect the person's cholesterol level. When I had gestational diabetes, my dietician was a huge promoter of eggs because they're a complete protein with reasonable calories.

Oh, and they're delicious.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    im another egg fan, when I eat eggs I never feel hungry and they are a great source of protein. I read that Nigella Lawsons husband lost a huge amount of weight on an egg only diet, he claims to have survived for months on 9 eggs a day. Extreme diet which I wouldnt do personally just tossed that fact in for a little fun. last time I had my blood checked my doctor said my blood cholesterol levels were the best he had ever seen in his entire career and I think nothing of eating 2 or even 3 eggs at a time
  • Mommytojulian
    Options
    I eat egg whites every morning with spinach and yogurt with fruit in the am...it helps me make it to lunch! Eat the eggs!!!
  • kimmykimmy77
    kimmykimmy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great for you in the morning!!! Especially with some hot sauce :) lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome! I'd sorely miss my omelets if they actually did cause health problems. But since they don't (barring allergies and what not), eat up!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day and it isn't an issue for me. I used to think too many were bad too but I think it's ok if you don't have other issues.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I make a 2 egg white, 1 whole egg omelet almost every morning. Or a nice light quiche? So delicious. I make them in cupcake tins and eat them on the go throughout the week.