weight loss challenge (bet w/ co-worker) - any suggestions??

Options
hey guys - I don't know how it ultimately happened, but looks like I'm now in a head-to-head bet against one of my colleagues who also wants to lose a comparable amount of weight (30-50 pounds). And its for cash money!! yikes. in fact, quite a bit more than I really want to lose (this guy thinks we're in Vegas or something...sheesh) - but I guess that's the point...if it were less then perhaps I wouldn't feel the pressure.

So, starting Monday morning (3/25) for 60 days (actually 10 weeks total, so until the end of May) we're going to see who can lose the most weight, "Biggest Loser" style. I'm not really a betting man, and moreover I overall ascribe to the slow and steady wins-the-race lot , but I've been stagnant for a while and think this might be good for me. I am currently around 220, and he's at 203 (but he's a few inches shorter). I think we are pretty close actually as per percentage body fat, although I think I'm a little higher overall, which theoretically makes it a bit easier for me to lose more. I don't think we'll be able to lose so much that it will seriously start draining my muscle mass...but I've decided I'm NOT going to do a starvation diet...that's why we chose 60 days since we figured starvation isn't sustainable over that many days. That being said, this guy has been known to do a "cleanse" now and again so may do one of those....we'll see....

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I figure before tomorrow's initial weigh-in, I'll eat and drink alot to get my weight up, and then at the end I'll maybe fast for a day or so to get it lower....but other than that any strategies? I figure I'll just go super clean in the diet for 2 months and also try to be super dedicated in racking in the exercise, and we'll see where it takes me....my guess is over the course of 60 days its really going to all come down to mental toughness.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So you're starting off by cheating, and then want to embark on a strategy that is bad for your health.

Good luck. I'd say "don't do this."
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    if in the end all you want is money, you'll find a way to get it. You could always just try to eat better and get moving and focus on long term goals. Wouldn't it be great if after all of this you could keep the weight off?
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So you're starting off by cheating, and then want to embark on a strategy that is bad for your health.

Good luck. I'd say "don't do this."

wow - harsh. I didn't think it was cheating, but rather the way everyone does it (according to Big Loser, and also weigh-ins for athletics weight-class events)...but as it turned out I didn't bother to drink alot of water (if that is what you mean by cheating?). also, I've been at this for a while, and I expect this would help shake me up and refresh my positivity....and I didn't mention I'm going to just be "super clean" right? So I'm not sure about the unhealthy part, so I'll be losing probably 2lbs a week max...which I think is the definition of healthy no?....unless you are referring to my possible use of a fast near the end if I feel like it (but don't alot of people tinker w/ IF here?) anyway - thanks so much for your useful post.
  • rocket_ace
    Options
    if in the end all you want is money, you'll find a way to get it. You could always just try to eat better and get moving and focus on long term goals. Wouldn't it be great if after all of this you could keep the weight off?
    ''

again - wow - you guys must be from some alternate reality where no one ever has a health weight loss challenge at work....they are pretty common actually, for your information. I've been at this for sometime, and lost quite a bit of weight, but here I found an opportunity to shake my system / and mind. up get my co-workers to basically help me. And as per money, I'm risking losing money if I don't stay clean, but your post sounds like I'm trying to scam something off the black market? ....sheesh....it was just a buddy system thing, and I'm pretty sure its a fairly positive thing......but thanks for your useful post.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Why don't you both do it together for Charity instead. Get other people to pay a certain amount for every pound you lose. That way you can work together, but towards your own objectives.

Edit: I've just read the above posts. Nothing wrong with Buddying up at all :D (We are such a supportive bunch, eh !!!! Someone posts something and ten people jump down his throat )
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ''

again - wow - you guys must be from some alternate reality where no one ever has a health weight loss challenge at work....they are pretty common actually, for your information. I've been at this for sometime, and lost quite a bit of weight, but here I found an opportunity to shake my system / and mind. up get my co-workers to basically help me. And as per money, I'm risking losing money if I don't stay clean, but your post sounds like I'm trying to scam something off the black market? ....sheesh....it was just a buddy system thing, and I'm pretty sure its a fairly positive thing......but thanks for your useful post.

A lot of companies definitely do weight loss challenges - my fiancee works at one of them. However, I know for a fact that they don't fast before weigh-ins just to lower their weight or try to eat unhealthily at the beginning to show a higher number. I believe those were the concerns of the first comment to your post. The one at her job, you have to pay about $250 to join, but you get weekly training sessions with a certified PT and a gym membership for the duration, and if you lose 5% of your body weight you get that money back. It definitely focuses on healthy eating and exercise above all. My mother in law to be has participated in them a couple of times and actually is more fit at this point than the thinner people on her team!

And being a guy, you have a much easier time of it than us ladies when it comes to weight loss! ;) It looks like you've already lost a good amount so you know the way to do it! Just keep it up. Good luck!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    your statement that you guys want to do this "biggest loser style" is going to raise hackles around here. Biggest Loser-Style is exceptionally bad for health, bad for long term success, bad all the way 'round. THAT is where, I think, the "unhealthy" statement in the first reply is coming from. And if I am mistaken in that one - well, it IS where this statement is coming from: that kind of contest is SO FREAKIN UNHEALTHY.
  • rocket_ace
    Options
    your statement that you guys want to do this "biggest loser style" is going to raise hackles around here. Biggest Loser-Style is exceptionally bad for health, bad for long term success, bad all the way 'round. THAT is where, I think, the "unhealthy" statement in the first reply is coming from. And if I am mistaken in that one - well, it IS where this statement is coming from: that kind of contest is SO FREAKIN UNHEALTHY.

my apologies - I hardly ever watched the show - so I meant no hidden subtext....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Any "who can lose the most weight in x amount of time" is 100% geared to encourage weight loss way beyond anything that is remotely healthy. It literally encourages an eating disorder. The path to assured victory is anorexia combined with extreme amounts of cardio.
  • rocket_ace
    Options
    Any "who can lose the most weight in x amount of time" is 100% geared to encourage weight loss way beyond anything that is remotely healthy. It literally encourages an eating disorder. The path to assured victory is anorexia combined with extreme amounts of cardio.

I don't see it that way AT ALL. For me, its just some fun w/ co-workers that will keep me on the straight and narrow. perhaps some may abuse this challenge by starving themselves, but there are only a couple of us, all very professional and honest, so it will 100% not be abused or turn into an eating disorder WHATSOEVER. Thanks for the concern generally but it is 100% unfounded in this case.
    7631282 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Either way, you both come out winners, or should I say losers (hopefully).
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well I say Good Luck! Two months will certainly not hinder your overall health and if you have success, better for you! Keep us posted on your progress but don't get discouraged if your competitor pulls ahead. In the end, weight loss is a personal journey. Good for you to try something new to jazz up the process.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't see it that way AT ALL. For me, its just some fun w/ co-workers that will keep me on the straight and narrow. perhaps some may abuse this challenge by starving themselves, but there are only a couple of us, all very professional and honest, so it will 100% not be abused or turn into an eating disorder WHATSOEVER. Thanks for the concern generally but it is 100% unfounded in this case.

Well since you're going for "healthy" weight loss, you need to stick to the recommended 1-1.5 pounds a week and the fact that you're a member of a contest is immaterial.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My work place is doing a for every 5% you lose your name goes in for 250 in cash. Of course they started this after I had already lost 60 lbs. haha...But I have lost about 12 more since then so I will have my name in there at least once.
    Good Luck to you
  • rocket_ace
    Options

Well since you're going for "healthy" weight loss, you need to stick to the recommended 1-1.5 pounds a week and the fact that you're a member of a contest is immaterial.

you refuse to see the positive in anything eh? you're a very stubborn person mate...not willing to give an inch. I hope such flexibility does you well in life. I generally like competing points of view and devil's advocates but I think intelligently taking such a line also means trying to see the other person's point of view. I saw you pointing out something (albeit in a p1ssy way) and I took your advice, but now you aren't even allowing me any fun competing w/ my friends to stay focused, and only allowing a hypothetical max 1.5lbs per week (where you know for a fact that 2lbs/wk is the overwhelmingly cited max)...you just sound like a sour puss. I hadn't thought you were that sort before today.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Today I Learned people on MFP are really uptight about weight loss.
  • rocket_ace
    Options
    Today I Learned people on MFP are really uptight about weight loss.

not all of us man - I feel like I made a mistake posting in fact. such negativity!
  • jonnythan
    Options

you refuse to see the positive in anything eh? you're a very stubborn person mate...not willing to give an inch. I hope such flexibility does you well in life. I generally like competing points of view and devil's advocates but I think intelligently taking such a line also means trying to see the other person's point of view. I saw you pointing out something (albeit in a p1ssy way) and I took your advice, but now you aren't even allowing me any fun competing w/ my friends to stay focused, and only allowing a hypothetical max 1.5lbs per week (where you know for a fact that 2lbs/wk is the overwhelmingly cited max)...you just sound like a sour puss. I hadn't thought you were that sort before today.

It's a contest to see who can shed the most body mass in the shortest amount of time, and you announced your plan to game the system by artificially inflating your weight at the beginning and artificially deflating it at the end.

So, no, I don't see a lot of positive in this.
  • rocket_ace
    Options

It's a contest to see who can shed the most body mass in the shortest amount of time, and you announced your plan to game the system by artificially inflating your weight at the beginning and artificially deflating it at the end.

its a common thing man. chill out. I have heard what you have to say. thanks but I repeat you are missing the point. anyway - feel free to exit stage left now.
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options

Come on now, let's not all take ourselves too seriously.

Recommended weekly weight loss figures are nothing more than 'rules of thumb.' They are projected based on the average persons weight etc. If you want to be completely scientific about it you would need to consider a persons height, age, weight, percentage body fat (the more you have the more you can lose safely) etc.

Also, does anyone judge the professional boxer or jockey who cuts weight for days prior to weigh in simply to achieve competitive advantage? Does anyone think of the harm it is doing that person.

Thirdly, can one completely criticise 'unhealthy behaviour' if the result of this behaviour is a better long term outlook on or understanding of one's own weight and weight loss issues.

I know it's Monday guys. I know you all know your facts. But cut each other some slack and stop being arses- we should be supportive. We should criticise constructively. We should be open to the fact that people do the same thing differently and that no one path is perfect.

Enjoy your days :D

ps - sorry for name calling. yes yes, I know... it makes me as bad as everyone else LOL
This discussion has been closed.