Crossfit?

Options
2»

Replies

• sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hey there! I just started cross fit this week. have done 2 one on one training sessions. i'm in a unique position to do a trade with the trainer ( massage for her training me) so cost isn't a factor but I was worried to start. as I started mentioning it to people I noticed a lot of haters out there. many straight out said you're gonna get hurt. as an MT this would be a major problem. I work for myself so if I get hurt then business has to stop while I heal....not to mention the fact that injury can easily turn into chronic pain if it's nor given the appropriate time to heal/recondition.

anyway.....I made sure the very first thing I discussed with the trainer is my concern with form, technique and injury prevention. so we are taking it slow but still challenging! the first day was bodyweight exercise (squats, push ups, sit ups) yesterday she had me do some kettle bell swings, 25 lb, medicine ball slams, 25 lb and rowing. it kicked my butt but the feeling after was AWESOME!

just try it. you can do it
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    There is nothing overly excessive/extreme about your average crossfit class. They are quite scalable to your level, and well "you" determine how hard you wanna push yourself.

Its a great social enviroment, everyone is super encouraging and supportive.

Most of the time trainers will take you aside if you are having serious form issues and will help you correct them. Or they offer classes in oly lifting to help you out which i highly advise taking as they are a ton of fun.

Yes there are the serious crossfit athletes out there, if you watch them workout it is extreme, but any pro/elite athlete has to be extreme to make it in there sport.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that Health_Gal knows nothing about CrossFit.

she sent me a PM to tell me to stop encouraging people to do cross fit. that's so sad to me that she feels the need to do that.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Try jujitsu...
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I saw some one mention prices of $125-175 a month and that's true for the unlimited plans, but a lot of boxes offer cheaper plans if you only plan on going for 2x or 3x a week. The unlimited it really only necessary if you want to go 4 or more times a week, then it's totally worth it. I loved my box!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    There is nothing overly excessive/extreme about your average crossfit class. They are quite scalable to your level, and well "you" determine how hard you wanna push yourself.

Its a great social enviroment, everyone is super encouraging and supportive.

Most of the time trainers will take you aside if you are having serious form issues and will help you correct them. Or they offer classes in oly lifting to help you out which i highly advise taking as they are a ton of fun.

Yes there are the serious crossfit athletes out there, if you watch them workout it is extreme, but any pro/elite athlete has to be extreme to make it in there sport.

What he just said , very friendly every box I've been too and I love crossfit
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Those who would dis Crossfit because of the cost or whatever other excuse they want to use know nothing, to quote one of my fave Game of Thrones characters.

Crossfit is awesome and my box rocks. The guy who runs the place is a former national champion Masters Olympic weightlifter, and is certified in a number of different training disciplines in addition to Crossfit. He knows what he's doing, and the atmosphere in his place is immensely focused on doing the workouts RIGHT before you ever try and do them HEAVY. He supervises the classes in such a way that it's like getting a personal trainer for the price of a class. That said, it's also quite possible to do Crossfit at home, with only minimal exercise equipment - and if you can't find the right instructor or gym environment it's a very viable way to go.

The Crossfit website gives the day's workout, along with plenty of instructional videos AND videos that demonstrate how to work up to the (sometimes quite difficult) moves incorporated into Crossfit. In addition, the website links a forum that gives the official scaled workouts, suitable for everyone from rank beginners who can barely eke out a pushup to those on the cusp of Crossfit greatness. There's a place for everyone in Crossfit - everyone, that is, who's willing to work hard to improve themselves.

There's also an ap called MyWOD that is immensely useful for Crossfitters which, in conjunction with the website and the scaled workouts, can pretty much give you everything you need to get going with Crossfit. It has all of the standard workouts (the Girls and the Heroes, for the Crossfitters in the room) as well as a series of road WODs that require nothing more than some floor space and a pair of shoes.

When I'm on the road I quite often do one of the road WODs from the ap, rather than trying to find a local box. I'm cheap, and the ap was only $1.99.

The environment at my gym works well to keep me going. Honestly, the very supportive, social aspect of Crossfit holds me accountable for showing up and busting *kitten*. When I was working hours that were prohibitive for my getting to the gym, though, I had no problem continuing my improvement curve for a couple of months at home. Ya just gotta wanna.

Overall, I've gotten FAR better results in the last year and a half I've been doing Crossfit than I was ever able to achieve being a gym rat - for 20+ years. It's not even close.
  • preciousthin9s
    Options
    Crossfit is a good form of Metabolic Resistance training, but take care not to get injured!!! My Physiotherapist tells me 90% of his clients are people who got into CrossFit without any prior strength training. I asked him about it because I was thinking of doing it myself. He recommends you learn techniques first - get your deadlifts, squats, etc... technique 100% correct, and build up some strength, before you tackle something like CrossFit. Although some CrossFit gyms offer 'training' beforehand, I have friends in the fitness industry and they are shocked when they find out that CrossFit trainers take only 1-2 days to teach a deadlift technique. My Powerlifting friends (who compete professionally and internationally) say that it takes months to get that technique right. So, they are also shocked when they see what the CrossFit crowd do! In saying all that, my brother and cousin are massive CrossFit fans and swear by it.... however, they are athletic and already have a very good strength foundation. This goes back to what I was saying: if you want to do CrossFit, I urge you to build some strength first, get a strong foundation in technique, before you tackle squats and deadlifts and other such exercises at a ridiculous speed in minimal time! Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is a good form of Metabolic Resistance training, but take care not to get injured!!! My Physiotherapist tells me 90% of his clients are people who got into CrossFit without any prior strength training. I asked him about it because I was thinking of doing it myself. He recommends you learn techniques first - get your deadlifts, squats, etc... technique 100% correct, and build up some strength, before you tackle something like CrossFit. Although some CrossFit gyms offer 'training' beforehand, I have friends in the fitness industry and they are shocked when they find out that CrossFit trainers take only 1-2 days to teach a deadlift technique. My Powerlifting friends (who compete professionally and internationally) say that it takes months to get that technique right. So, they are also shocked when they see what the CrossFit crowd do! In saying all that, my brother and cousin are massive CrossFit fans and swear by it.... however, they are athletic and already have a very good strength foundation. This goes back to what I was saying: if you want to do CrossFit, I urge you to build some strength first, get a strong foundation in technique, before you tackle squats and deadlifts and other such exercises at a ridiculous speed in minimal time! Good luck!

My box taught us lifts for two weeks before we could join a WOD class. All of the beginners to the WOD class get special attention for a while to make sure that our form is correct and we aren't taking too much on. I've been at it for 7 weeks, and the trainers are still all over me. So your friends in the fitness industry are misguided.

What's interesting about your post is that you haven't been to a CrossFit class yourself and yet you are trying to advise others on what they should do before they start CrossFit. It's kind of weird that you have not only taken such an interest in something that you personally have never tried, but that you are also try to educate people on it.

It's also funny that you just joined AND this is your only post.

You wouldn't be Health_Gal would you? :huh:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Most places will offer a free intro class so you can try it out and meet with them...

I have only done 1 official class, but i do similar training sometimes.. I love it.. I'm going to try out a new place this weekend that is closer to my house.