need some help from runners/walkers

candicemcl
candicemcl Posts: 59
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been walking almost everyday atleast 5K most days, and now my body is obviously not happy. I have pain in my shins, so I talked to my sis in law and she said its probably shin splints, but she had to get off the phone before she could tell me some idea's to help ease the pain or exercises/stretches. all she could tell me is to cut back or it could take months for my body to get over it and be used to my new active lifestyle.
so does anyone have something to help me out? should I cut back my walking either how many days I do it or for how long?
Thanks!

Replies

• stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Check out this website:

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

It looks like it really tells a lot about shin splints.

I hope this helps!

Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    definitely stretch A LOT before and after your walking. The main cause of shin splints is tight calf muscles. Even just letting your heels hang over the edge of a step will do the trick, but there are tons of great stretches that you should do. I got them too in the beginning and now I stretch just a little before and after I walk/jog and I haven't gotten them since. I also started to develop a little knee pain when I started doing more jogging and since I started stretching more, that pain went away as well. Now I can do more jogging than walking with no pain at all.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    here's the thing, Cami: it all depends on how bad the "pain" is. On a scale of 1-10, where does it land? I only ask because some discomfort is normal. When certain muscles in your legs get going for the first time in a long time, you can experience some pain along your shin bones. If the pain is not severe, I have found that icing the lower leg and then elevating it help reduce the swelling, while backing off a bit from the activities that are causing the pain keeps it from getting worse (but not stopping all together). I've introduced many of my friends to running now, and all of them (that's right--ALL of them) go through the same thing in the beginning and they all freak out that it's shin splints.

You have to listen to your body. But know that some discomfort is normal. And only in the most extreme cases does it take months for your shin splints to recover...

Keep up the good work, but don't be afraid to pull back a bit. It's about finishing the race, not burning out on the first mile! :D
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Oh I know about these all too well~They hurt so bad !:sad: One MFP friend gave me some good advice that helped me overcome them. Trace the alphabet on the floor with your big toe several times a day.Do one foot and then the other.Move your ankle and foot not your leg. Helps so much! Also do some stretching exercises for shin splnts. There are some good videos of this on sparkpeople. Just google shin splint exercises and there are many options there. I usually do these several times a day and ALWAYS right before I walk. If I don't then I am in so much pain I can barely walk. Also don't be so aggressive in your walking speed. I find myself starting off at a moderately brisk pace and before I know it I am pushing too hard and I don't even realize it till the shins start to hurt. Hope this helps you.:smile:
  • I hear that a good shoe with great support helps with shin splintz.
  • Stratdl:Thanks for the link I will check it out!

pixiestick: the pain is pretty bad 7-8 minimum enough that I slow my pace then just tough it out and keep going and try to get back in step again. It starts just above my ankle and runs up my shin almost to my knee. my calves feel tight but I just figured it was muscle growing and fat going away so I was excited for it

confusecat: Thanks I am going to do those exercises tomorrow and slow my pace a bit, I haven't had real active life since high school so I guess my body is just shocked its moving so much lol.

I think I will cut out 1 day, but keep with my strength 3 times a week, and maybe go for 4km's instead of 5 and see how I feel.

Thanks again, I don't feel so alone now, my husband does the stationary bike and home, so I walk alone and usually do a trail the next town over cuz there are people i will atleast see and say hi to along the way.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    If the pain is that intense, definitely ice your lower legs and pull back on the intensity. If you have a tall bucket (a household garbage bin works too), put about a pound or two of cubed ice in it then fill it up with cold water. Alternate your legs in and out of the water at 15 minutes for each leg twice (the process takes an hour). My toes get really cold, so I wear a double sock in the water to give them a little extra help. It can be painful, but it really helps.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.