protein-based breakfast ideas. eggs are getting old

Options
2»

Replies

• bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Breakfast tacos or huevos rancheros - with or without eggs; I like black beans, chicken or soy chorizo, some salsa, maybe onions and/or potatoes. Eat as is or wrap in a corn or flour tortilla. Delicious and full of protein!

Some of the more natural cereals have a decent amount of protein. Some that I like are Kashi Go Lean Cinnamon Crumbles and Barbara's shreeded oats.

I make my own almond milk and dry the pulp to make almond meal (expensive in the store). I can then make muffins, breads, biscuits, crackets, pancakes, etc. with the meal, which has a good amount of protein in it.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten into quinoa for breakfast. I cook 1/4 cup in the microwave with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (approx. 6 min on 70% power) and stir in 1/2 tablespoon nut butter and a banana. Not as high in protein as eggs though. You can top with extra nuts to boost the protein and healthy fats.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Make your own low fat sausages? Easier than you think, all you need is a mincer (not really that expensive...and useful) and some lean meat, then add your own herbs/spices (I'd go for something with some heat), shape and grill or dry fry.

Make lots on your day off and freeze any you're not eating straight away!

This is a great idea! Though even easier, ask your butcher to mince the meat for you :bigsmile:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and dried edamame

Plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit

Hmmm....that's about all I got for now since you said no soy.....
  • JohnLSinclair
    JohnLSinclair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try my protein stuffed french toast.

It might not be low carb enough for you, but I used this all the time when I was cutting. It ends up giving you roughly 52 carbs, 5 fats, and 47 protein - for a grand total of 441 calories, unless you subtract the 14g fiber. Obviously, tweak the ingredients to adjust the resulting macros to your needs.

1 scoop vanilla whey (I recommend MTS Machine whey - best tasting!)
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup egg beaters OR 1 whole egg (depending if you're trying to keep fat low)
    2 tbsp cream cheese (use fat free for slightly more carbs, but zero fats)
    1 tbsp truvia
    4 - 5 slices of Healthy Life 100% whole wheat bread 35 calories per slice

To make, mix the whey, milk, and egg in a bowl - set aside for bread dipping. In a separate dish mix together the cream cheese and truvia and microwave for 20 seconds when the slices of french toast start to get done. Spread the cream cheese mixture in between the slices of french toast and slice into halvs. Top with 0 calorie Walden Farms strawberry syrup, or low carb Log Cabin pancake syrup if you'd like.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with greek yogurt and protein powder.

Greek yogurt pancakes.

I make my steel cut oats ahead of time, measure and put in small containers and stick in the freezer and than just throw in microwave for 2 mins.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal with sauteed veggies, parmesan, and a soft egg on top. Deeelish.
  • fairtradefan
    Options
    People get stuck on having to have breakfast food in the am, but truth is traditional breakfast food tends to be high fat and high carb. Just try substituting a typical lunch meal, (say this because prep seems to be easier, but dinner leftovers would work as well), and see how that works for you.

One of my favorite alternative breakfast meals is a salad. I add kidney and garbanzo beans, some fruit, and it is a wholesome, filling start to the day.

I agree. There's no reason you have to eat "breakfast food" for the first meal of the day. I sometimes have last night's leftovers for breakfast, especially if I've planned dinner with the assumption I'll be getting more than one meal for my work.