Easter Feast

Options
So...as we all know, Easter is next week. I'm kind of panicked because when there is food in front of me, I will eat it.
Plus..how do you know the calories to everything? All of my aunts/uncles/cousins make and bring food, so I really have no idea how many calories are in the food.
What is everyone planning to do?
I would love to have an "off" day, but I don't want to fall off the wagon.

Replies

• 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water beforehand and dip up small portions, eat slow. That's my plan. :)
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    I have come to loathe all those times the members of my family decide its important to stuff themselves silly. If I want to binge, I will likely do it. Just because its a "holiday" is no reason or excuse, I have plenty of reasons or excuses throughout the year. Holidays are for enjoying the company of the people around you, not for eating gigantic portions of food. That being said, it is also important to let yourself relax and enjoy YOURSELF. I put that in bold for a reason; don't let anyone make YOU eat anything you don't want to. If you think the pie is overkill, turn it down. If you don't think its overkill and it just looks so darn delicious, have it. Easter comes once a year after all.
    If you are afraid to trust your instincts on drinking lots of water before, having small portions, etc. Do some searches on foods you commonly have at Easter. Maybe you remember having scalloped potatoes, or ham, mashed potatoes, yams, baked vegetables, brussel sprouts, vegetables cooked in butter, dinner rolls, turkey, the list can go on. Find the foods that you think may be served and figure out which ones have the smallest calorie density and fill up your plate with those items. If you can, have a salad as a starter with an oil-based dressing without meat to help fill you up, and then just have small portions of everything else or just your faves that you cant skip.
    I wouldn't worry too much about logging on Easter. Maybe log your breakfast and lunch keeping them satisfying but at reasonably low calorie levels. You don't want to be starving when the feast begins, but you probly want more wiggle room than your usual dinner. You might be able to find foods on the MFP database that are reasonably close to what you have, but don't waste your time measuring your food on Easter. Enjoy yourself, make educated estimations, return to your normal routine the day after, and love, love, love the food, company and freedom for the evening!
    I apologize for the length of my reply, I am notoriously long winded.