Sit ups.

2»

Replies

• nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    For Pilates go to this sie you click on an exercise for beginner pilates and they show you how to do the exercises. Pilates is great for flexibilty and strangth.
    http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/pilates/h_pilates_beginner.htm
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    For Pilates go to this site you click on an exercise for beginner pilates and they show you how to do the exercises. Pilates is great for flexibilty and strength.

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/pilates/h_pilates_beginner.htm
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Pilates is the way to go! It works your INNER CORE which is responsible for giving us that girdle look. Crunches only work the outer abs. Pilates will build the inner core to pull you in and improve posture. An example of a great pilates move is to get on elbows and toes and body is flat. squeeze inner thighs, flat back and butt, hold abs very tightly.( if you don't hold abs it will injure your back) Hold this move for 30 seconds/3 times. Eventually work up to 1 minute.

That's a plank. Yes, very good for the core. you can advance that too, there are lots of plank moves. Side planks, side planks with extension, alternating 1 handed planks. All very good for the core. Didn't know these were part of pilates though. They are already a part of my core work, which includes these, cable crunches, ab machine, oblique machine, fitness ball wall squats, fitnessball crunches, fitness ball reverse crunches and cable machine oblique side extensions. It's a killer workout, but really works every part of the core. FYI, core is the term for pretty much every muscle from the bottom of your butt to just under your rib cage
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Push ups have to be done correctly for them to work...and you want to pull your core inward on the up of the sit "up"

FYI..

dd
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Thanks. I cant even do one push up, they frustrate me too much! Not because I can't get back up after going down, but because I can't keep my back straight!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I meant sit up not push up.....I need a break from school it is sucking all brain poser LOL!

dd
  • I agree with all the good info posted. You need to work your core. That isn't just abs though. You need to work you back too. The abs and back work together. Pilates is great for the core! I gain weight first in my stomach area and it is always the last to come off. I've had two kids, so I know it can be frustrating. Just find something you like and keep with it. You also need both cardo and weight training. With cardo you only burn calories while you are doing the workout. With weights, you continue to burn calories after the workout for serveral hours. That's a plus!
  • Carrie6o6
    True very true
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I know we dont have any belly dancing courses around here.... are there any vids on the net I can check out?

Here's a bunch of websites for you...if you have never bellydanced before you'll want to start out with beginning or basic instruction...from there the possibilities are limitless...check out some websites and I'm sure that anything that strikes your interest will be good...I often research the dancer's websites and then make my purchases at www.amazon.com.

www.worlddancenewyork.com
    www.neonissima.com
    www.beyondbellydance.com
    www.bellytwins.com
    www.amiramor.com
    www.shimmy.tv
    www.bellydancesuperstars.com
    www.suhaila.com

I hope you enjoy bellydance...have fun!
    I tried belly dancing a few days ago and let m,e tell you... I couldn't do the simplest looking moves but it was tons of fun! I found a few videos on youtube so I'll try them again soon.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    I know we dont have any belly dancing courses around here.... are there any vids on the net I can check out?

Here's a bunch of websites for you...if you have never bellydanced before you'll want to start out with beginning or basic instruction...from there the possibilities are limitless...check out some websites and I'm sure that anything that strikes your interest will be good...I often research the dancer's websites and then make my purchases at www.amazon.com.

www.neonissima.com
    www.beyondbellydance.com
    www.bellytwins.com
    www.amiramor.com
    www.shimmy.tv
    www.suhaila.com

I tried belly dancing a few days ago and let m,e tell you... I couldn't do the simplest looking moves but it was tons of fun! I found a few videos on youtube so I'll try them again soon.

Joanna...this is so exciting!

My favorite instructor for teacing and breaking down the moves is Neon out of World Dance NewYork...her websites are listed above.

Once you learn a few moves you can take it to dance/cardio level...I'm so glad you had fun...were you suprised at the workout?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Do sit ups actually do anything? My dad told me he now does 400 sit ups a day. I used to do them often... But do they actually work? They seem to be too easy to do anything.. Maybe im doing them wrong?

I have found that with dd breast I can do them easier and still feel the same efferct, by using my yoga ball. I fill it in my lower back , thighs nad tummy, when I am through.

I start with cardio, then yoga ball then cool down with weights....
  • Carrie6o6
    awesome! thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member

www.neonissima.com
    www.beyondbellydance.com
    www.bellytwins.com
    www.amiramor.com
    www.shimmy.tv
    www.suhaila.com

Joanna...this is so exciting!

My favorite instructor for teacing and breaking down the moves is Neon out of World Dance NewYork...her websites are listed above.

Once you learn a few moves you can take it to dance/cardio level...I'm so glad you had fun...were you suprised at the workout?
    I was surprised but it was so much fun!
    I will do some more belly dancing tomorrow.
    How do I enter it in my exercise log?
    Thanks for the links!