New to jogging - Any tips?

Options

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Have someone who is knowledgeable look at your stride. It will be better to correct any bad habits when you're new to it.

Strength training for you core, quads, calves, hamstrings and ankles, look for exercises that develop your stabilizer muscles.

Slow increases in distance, good form and proper strength are the keys to avoiding nagging injuries that can sideline you.

(I learned the hard way)
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used C2K as well and it was awesome for me!! The app that I used was by Zen Labs and it was free. Worked great! Just keep trying to do a little more each time. Don't rush it!! And agreed, proper shoes are absolutely necessary!! Good luck! :)
  • JessicaG234
    JessicaG234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, C25K is a great beginner's running program. There are tons of apps that will keep you on track and challenge you at a healthy pace. My husband and I started it several months ago and are planning to run our first 5K in a couple weeks. The program truly works! Good luck! :)
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice guys & gals. It seems everyone rates the C25K approach. I've had a look on my android play store and there are so many apps for this! Can anyone recommend one they use which is any good? Thanks :) x

Here is the link to the real C25K from Cool running program:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird but -- take small steps.

When I used to run, I used to end up injured all the time, and it turned out the biggest problem was that I was trying to go too fast by taking giant steps. I'd stretch my leg out as far as I could, striking with my heel, and then try to drive forward.

HUGE problems.

You can go fast, if you feel up to it, but do it by taking lots of shorter steps. That made a huge difference for me.

In the meantime, to build endurance, start with 1-1's -- "run" a minute, walk a minute. When that's easy, do 2-1's, etc. I know many people who do races at a 10-1 -- no shame. They aren't likely to win, but so what?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are all my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

I can't emphasise enough point 1:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

And here's some extra stuff I sent a friend who's training for her first 5K:

There IS a speed everyone can run, you just need to find yours. Sometimes I barely get above walking speed, it doesn't matter. And in RFL there will be runners who haven't trained and stop dead, and walkers - I promise you won't be last!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783

Everyone will tell you to get fitted for proper running shoes. While this is important in the long run (pun intended) it's a huge investment when you first start out and not that vital. I ran in cross-trainers for the first two years. Though proper running shoes do make a huge difference when you do swap.

More important is style. You may feel proper running is "heel to toe" but this can lead to painful shin splints and achy knees and feet. Let your legs swing naturally under you and land under your body (not in front as that will act as a brake), and land mid-foot. YouTube proper running technique or running mid-foot landing to see examples.

A great sports bra, however, IS vital!

The RFL website has its own training plan, and I used an early version when I first started out. However, the joggers' plan starts at 2 min running sessions, which can be a bit tough at first. Given you've got plenty of time, check out Couch 2 5K (C25K). This site has all the versions for use with a watch, apps or podcasts. One will suit you:
    http://www.c25k.com/

If you find a week hard, don't panic, just do it again the next week, but slower! You'll get through it.

I love the Zombies, Run! app, and there's a 5K training version. However, it can be a little distracting, which is good when you've been at it for a while, but you need to concentrate on how you feel to find your best pace when you start.
    https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

The next step is just to get out there (yes, even in this weather!). Keep all your MFP buddies updated with your progress! You'll do fine. :flowerforyou:

One final point. Start calling it running, not jogging. Then, voilà, you're a runner!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am using c25k as well. Currently on week 4 day 1, I am afraid that I am not going to be very good at it though. I have asthma, and as soon as I feel like I can't breath I start freaking out! I know it's probably my pace, but I'm not going very fast! walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0.....i need advice too! lol
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

When I used to run, I used to end up injured all the time, and it turned out the biggest problem was that I was trying to go too fast by taking giant steps. I'd stretch my leg out as far as I could, striking with my heel, and then try to drive forward.

HUGE problems.

You can go fast, if you feel up to it, but do it by taking lots of shorter steps. That made a huge difference for me.

In the meantime, to build endurance, start with 1-1's -- "run" a minute, walk a minute. When that's easy, do 2-1's, etc. I know many people who do races at a 10-1 -- no shame. They aren't likely to win, but so what?

ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^

Smaller steps will make form a habit and help you avoid injury.

C25k has helped thousands and thousands of people go from zero to running incredible distances..it really does work!

And please, don't worry yourself about how FAST you run..just focus on distance, nothing else. Your time to work on speed will come the more you run.
  • gina145
    gina145 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is great! I jogged my first 5K in March...not an athlete but I finished it. I am looking for another one to keep the momentum. I have been jogging 1 mile 3 days a week and 3 miles 1 day a week (well this week had the flu). But it does get easier and you will find you have 2 lungs:wink: . I stretch prior to and after the jog and I have to have music cause I am not in love with jogging yet. Have a great day!
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1) Quality equipment: Shoes, socks, undergarments

2) Take it slow: start with walking, then alternate walking/jogging, then switch to jogging

3) Have a distraction: Get an awesome playlist on your ipog/mp3 player just for when you're jogging or if you're on a treadmill watch your favorite tv show. That will help take your mind off the stitch in your side or the feeling that your left lung is going to explode :wink:
  • cleefelty
    cleefelty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I began jogging in November and found the book RUN YOUR BUTT OFF to be helpful. (I borrowed from library)

I did not try Couch to 5K, but was told this is somewhat similar in that it has stages vs. weeks. I stay in my Stage until *I* feel ready to progress, versus when told to. I also committed to 8 week timeframes of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio towards incentives to keep me motivated.

The breakthrough for me was jogging SLOWER than I walk.

I knew if I moved to another Stage before I built up my stamina and endurance, I'd quit. Instead, I'm sticking with it and dare I say, enjoying it! I could never understand why anyone would *want* to run, until now. I keep the treadmill at 3.5 mph, warm-up for 5 minutes, and then start my intervals (currently at 5 min run/2.5 min walk) for about 50 minutes or so. I just started running outside and had no trouble with a similar routine on a 5k course. I also now add some "speed" intervals in there to get my heart rate up.

I use my HRM and am honest with myself when it's getting easier and time to move up.

Good luck!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Never do less than 30 minutes (even if you have to walk) or there will be no benefits at all.

This isn't even remotely true.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice guys & gals. It seems everyone rates the C25K approach. I've had a look on my android play store and there are so many apps for this! Can anyone recommend one they use which is any good? Thanks :) x
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs and it worked great! I started running with that in January last year, and I'm still running and enjoying it. It's a great program!
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Buy awesome running sneakers and an even more awesome sports bra.

Find good running music.

Go for your first "run".

Join us our C25K group for tip, support, etc.

If you think that it will help, sign up for a 5k so you will have real motivation to progress.

Have fun!

Btw, I am on w5.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if people have said this since I'm too lazy to read all of the responses (sorry)...but just go SLOW!

I was always so worried about pace in the past, but once I slowed down, I was able to build up my endurance and start to really enjoy running. Before I knew it, I was running 5 miles!

Then once your endurance is built, you can start working on speed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Never do less than 30 minutes (even if you have to walk) or there will be no benefits at all.

This isn't even remotely true.
    Agreed! When my kid started school in August and I couldn't do my early morning longer runs anymore, I cranked out a quick 2 miles in less than 30 minutes before school to beat the heat - still saw plenty of benefits. :drinker:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    C25K app (and jog slow) or use the Galloway Method (also, if you can run slower, you're going too fast)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/resources/index.html

You can buy play lists on iTunes that have the cues when to walk/run and the tempo music to go with the walk/run segments. You can also get playlists for free at MotionTraxx

http://motiontraxx.com/mix/exercise/running/
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program! Just make sure that you have the right shoes. Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. They are a bit pricey, but are well worth it. They will safe your hips, knees, shins, ankles, feet, and back.

I have been running for about a year now and have completed a half marathon, several 5ks and 5k obstacles courses. I am running my second 1/2 in two weeks and am training for a full marathon. Feel free to add me if you'd like! I love my running friends :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    #1 couch 2 5k. I loved it.
    #2 you are already going 5 minutes, I barely could do 60 seconds in the beginning
    #3 Zombies run! its in the app store and it has a 5k program now too... If you like being run down by the undead.
    #4 stop calling yourself a jogger, be a runner. I can run incredibly slow.
    #5 wait till the runners high
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

HUGE problems.

Oh man, it you take any running advice, please, please do yourself a favor and pay attention to this! Over-striding is one the easiest ways to get hurt. All sorts of injuries can occur by extending your foot out past you knee, slamming it into the ground with a big heel strike and then rolling over it. The jarring forces on you knees and ankles are just amazing when you over-stride. Just google running form, and there is lots of info out there on the interwebs. :o)

Have fun and good luck!