my knees hurt!

Options
What exercise can I do effectively that doesn't incorporate the use of my knees, I've been doing lunges, squats and other excercises that have me jumping around.

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i have really bad knee problems, try swimming or elliptical as the pressure its as hard then
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What about some core work, planks, side planks, crunches?

Or upper body work using weights?

Swimming is also easy on the joints.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    punches. really gets your heart pumping, works your whole body, without any strain on the knees.
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....I'm going to do planks etc instead of the kickboxing cardio I usually do, but are these exercises good for burning fat?
  • janetsalley
    Options
    What's punches lol, is it like hitting a punching bag?
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    What's punches lol, is it like hitting a punching bag?
    hitting the air or hitting a bag.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    lunges used to KILL my knees. then i figured out that i just had weak knees and i needed to strengthen them. Ever since i started doing stronglifts 5x5, they don't hurt anymore. but PAY ATTENTION TO FORM or else you will hurt yourself.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    More squats, more lunges. You need to strengthen that area - this will do it. I used to cry from doing lunges (at 220 lbs, it HURT!)...now I can do them all day and smile. Stretch into the squat and lunge...go at it slowly, take some time to hold it (static hold)...do wall squat holds.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just had my knee scoped in October and the doc told me to stay away from lunges. I never liked doing them in the first place so it didn't hurt my feelings too badly.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have arthitis in both knees and know how hard it is to get a good workout that doesn't hurt you! Start by taking a chondroitin glucosamine msm supplement, it'll take close to a year to see results but if taken daily, it does help.

My cardio is mainly on an exercise bike or rowing machine. If the weather is dry and warm, I can handle walking outside, buy good WALKING shoes, not running shoes.

I also do squats but I make sure I stand flat footed, NO bouncing or jumping, and only go squat til it starts to hurt my knees. It's taken almost 3 years but I can do a full squat now with no pain. Try getting some ankle weights and doing leg extensions to build up the muscles around the knees too!
  • janetsalley
    Options
    Ok tx
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you using? How old are they? Are they a size bigger than your dress shoe?

I had horrible problems with my knees from exercise until I came to realize that I was in the wrong shoe and it was also to small.
  • janetsalley
    Options
    So basically my knees are out of shape also and I have to get them back in shape...work past the pain? I was afraid I was causing to much stress on them.
  • janetsalley
    Options
    Well actually I exercise barefoot because I'm at home on the carpet should I be wearing sneakers? Would that make a difference?
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons why I started and joined MFP. Knees, lower back, and feet. Told myself that I need some control and not let getting older have its way. It's taken over a year but I'm finally getting to the point where I don't feel pain in the knees when walking up and down stairs. I have a recumbant bike and took things real slow increasing the load. I do leg lifts and raises but started slow, gradually increasing the load over time. Good luck to you and everyone with nasty knee joints.:smile:
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I feel it would less on the joints. I do wear sneakers when exercising at home even with carpets.
  • janetsalley
    Options
    Tx guys for your responses they were very helpful
  • pamuyamakene
    pamuyamakene Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, try doing the lunges and squats with sneakers, you can even wear knee supports during the exercises.I have the same problem, so when I do lunges or squats I reduce the degree to a half lunge, half squat, hopefully with time the knees and ankles strengthen and you can take on full squats and lunges.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well actually I exercise barefoot because I'm at home on the carpet should I be wearing sneakers? Would that make a difference?

Yes! you should be wearing good shoes!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    personally, i'd caution against doing anything that really hurts until a doc or physio has said it's ok. nobody can tell you over the internet whether you have an injury, a structural issue, a good reason why your body is sending out warning signs.

i would be trying rest first, different shoes, then talking to my doc if it didn't improve, rather than just plunging in with more, more, more.