tuna in salt or oil

Options
Hi , my blood pressure is a little high and i have to watch my salt intake. The other day I had a can of tuna in brine ( drained) but it obviously tasted very salty, so I would like to switch to tuna in oil (drained) . I love tuna, will I still be able to eat it occasionally (say 1 can a week) in a diet if its been kept in oil? its a good source of protein and low fat when it isnt in oil, but I wonder if i should bypass it altogether or not if im only able to eat the tuna in oil version, many thanks

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Why not tuna in water? No oil; no brine (yuk!)
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat a brand called wild planet albacore tuna in water (no salt added) and it has only 100mg (4% daily value) of sodium. I am sure there are other brands with lower sodium. Don't give up tuna, just read the labels and find a brand with lower sodium that will work for you!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything that fits in your food budget but tuna packed in water and well rinsed should solve your problem.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Tuna in water.
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    Yeah, you can even get it in water with reduced sodium. You can also get it without water or oil. Definitely get the reduced sodium kind.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    thank you very much for the replies I must check out the tins more carefully in future I didnt even know you could get tuna in water without the salt
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How about tuna in the vacuum pack? That's what I use.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you like the Tuna in water you have got to try the Salmon in water - I have become a big fan!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    try sardines in spring water, a great source of protein, cheap, low sodium, high in calcium, and much lower mercury than tuna, also.. super good with hot sauce
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It's better to eat canned tuna in water.
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    How about tuna in the vacuum pack? That's what I use.

Wish I knew where to buy, I'll have to search that. I would very much like to avoid anything canned/BPA.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I use these: http://www.starkist.com/product/low-sodium-chunk-light-tuna-water-pouch. Good choice and good health to you!
  • cosnet
    cosnet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tue 03/26/13 12:03 PM

"Wish I knew where to buy, I'll have to search that. I would very much like to avoid anything canned/BPA."

I find it on the same shelves where the canned tuna and salmon are