What scales are wrong?

Options
My Analog scales move down weekly, while My digital ones barely budge.
I thought in the last 4 months I'd lost 21lbs But then I went and tried out my digital scales! Supposedly I've lost like half of that.
I burn about 800-1000 cals a day a work (working on a farm) I'm currently doing 30 day shred on day 10 today.
I've lost 1 inch on my hips and 1 inch on my waist.
Also, I've recently had the Implant (Contraceptive rod) Removed 2 weeks ago. As I felt that was stalling my weight loss!
I just don't know what ones to trust.
One says 156lbs, the other says 167.
I know I know, its just a number focus on how you're body is changing etc.
But sadly the number motivates me.
After 4 months of pushing myself to get fit for my holiday in August. I'm feeling pretty down.
I've always given up about 3 months in, but I haven't this time. I feel like I haven't got much to show for it. I've never pushed myself so hard before. Working during breaks, AND staying after work to WORK SOME MORE.
Extremely disheartened.

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale to use or you'll drive yourself nuts.
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah I totally get that! But If one is constantly going down, and the other isn't! I don't want to be fooling myself!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

You could also put a known weight on both and see which one is most accurate...like a large bag of something (catfood, dogfood, or other feed). That might help you decide which one to go with. Should have mentioned that above.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Try testing both of your scales. Set them on a flat surface and put 10 lbs on them. You can use hand weights or anything else you may have.

Try not to move your scale either. Every time you move them, there is a chance it will become unbalanced
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    retiree has a great idea there! Test both with a known weight and go with ONLY one of them. All scales will be different. If I weigh at home and then at the doctor's I get different weights...
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options

You could also put a known weight on both and see which one is most accurate...like a large bag of something (catfood, dogfood, or other feed). That might help you decide which one to go with. Should have mentioned that above.

This. You say you're doing 30DS. Put the weights that you use on your scales to determine which one is more accurate. I do this weekly to make sure that my digital scale is calibrated (I'm a scientist, lol).
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    haha! I might actually try that! I'll be back soon ;)
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    All scales are wrong without calibration, and even then they need calibrated regularly (which can't be done with most consumer scales). 156 vs 167 doesn't matter. It is the downward trend that matters. :smile:

I weighed 150 this morning on my scale. I have no idea what I really weigh. I only ever use my one scale to keep things consistant.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you want to be technical about it, both scales are wrong. Your bathroom scale isn't meant to be extremely precise.

Like was said before, pick a scale and stick with it. As far as picking a scale, I would probably run a little test to see which is the most accurate. There is a difference between precision and accuracy. The test would be something like

1) weigh yourself.
    2) grab a weight that you know (20lb dumbell, full bag of dogfood, whatever, but it should be 10 lbs or more) and weigh yourself while holding that
    3) subtract the two weights to get the difference
    4) see which scale is closest to the weight of the weight you were holding.

Since all you care about is differences in weight, that will tell you the "best" scale.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try testing both of your scales. Set them on a flat surface and put 10 lbs on them. You can use hand weights or anything else you may have.

Try not to move your scale either. Every time you move them, there is a chance it will become unbalanced

OMG that is it! (I hope!) My scale says I lost 9 lbs. last week, and 1 lb. this week, even though I am still getting smaller, but I move it to weigh myself every day - Thanks! :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    (I'm a scientist, lol).

then you should know that you need to be holding the weight since a 30DS weight is likely to be outside of the measurement range of the scale.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    don't use scales. just measure yourself. ultimately you want to look thin, and that comes with losing weight in certain places, not weight over all. your best bet is to measure your waist, hips, neck, arms, thighs, calves, etc and you'll see if you are losing in the right places. the measure doesn't lie.