Exercises for Better Bicycling?

Options
Hi!

I recently purchased a new bicycle (a hybrid). However, it's been like 15years since I really rode - pre-driver's licence days! I'm not as fit as I used to be and would like to be able to get my legs in better shape so I can hit the trails & greenways again. I usually use the elliptical at the gym (treadmill as back-up), the recumbent bike is uncomfortable and the regular stationary bike seat just isn't going to meet my rear. hehe So those aren't viable options. I generally do weights 2x/week at the gym and know I'll have to increase that to get my legs in better shape.

I'm thinking I need to work on my quads - I can feel the weakness top thigh, near knee - so other than squats (traditional and weighted/hack) or leg extensions, what suggestions do you guys have for me?

Thanks!

Replies

• haleysman
    haleysman Posts: 48
    Options
    good pair of padded biker shorts, and one of those super big padded 'old people' seats to change out on your bike and you will be set to bike for miles and miles in comfort
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would also do a lot of calve exercises, such as one legged standing calve raises, as biking works the calves a lot if you seat is set properly. When biking on the road your leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the rotation, this makes it easier to go for long rides and uses mainly the calve muscle, with assistance from the quads.
    If you are mountain biking on a trail you will want your seat a little lower so your leg is slightly bent at the bottom of the rotation, this type of biking works more of the quad area and squats, lunges and leg extensions will strengthen those muscles.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Don't forget your hamstrings! Especially if you decide you want to use clipless pedals/shoes. Then you can push and pull with your legs (quads and hams). Yeah for biking!!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I never thought of my calves! I mainly thought of it as a pushing type motion. Thanks so much for the enlightening info eric & khs!

Haley, the seat was replaced with a comfier model at the store! Best $30 I've spent! :)
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I wear padded cycling shorts/pants. They even make them where you can buy them baggy so everyone in the world doesn't know you like wearing tights (big deal for my manly ego lol.)

I've also read and experienced myself, that the more you ride the less your butt hurts. I would say my butt was use to it just after a week.

I ride my bike to work. When I first started I didn't ride the entire way, I drove halfway, then rode the other half. As I got stronger and better, I've moved to riding the entire way.

Good luck and happy riding!

Edit: I also saw there are a few yoga for cyclists dvds out there. I practice yoga as well as ride my bike so thats perfect for me.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope will help your calves... I just started jumping rope again last night & last time I did it regularly, it really helped me run harder & faster, so give it a try! I started last night with 5 minutes divided into 1-minute intervals until I can work my way up. What I used to do was do bursts of cardio in between strength training moves...so I'd do abs, then jump rope for as long as I could go, then work my arms, jump rope, work my legs, then maybe back to abs, then jump rope, etc.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Check out Lance Armstrong's routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDawlrIeaVM
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

He's so shiny! haha

That makes me feel tons better, so thank you for sharing that. I've done many of those moves before (except for that first one), just gotta keep trucking along!

I wish I could leave work and go play now. hehe
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Follow-up for the cyclists: what do you think the balance is between the weight training and actually getting out and pushing through the terrain? Like would I just be better off focusing on the bike portion or weights or both?
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the folks who recommended bike shorts. They made a huge difference for me when I first started. My first pair were inexpensive and low quality mountain bike shorts (with the loose overshort) and made all the difference in the world in terms of comfort.

Lunges and calf raises are good recommendations, too, but nothing will get you in cycling shape faster than just getting out and riding.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you want to focus on cycling, then ride more than you lift. But don't neglect lifting, maybe just perform a full body workout 2x week.

I find that at my current level of fitness, I prefer to focus on weight loss and weight lifting, with an occasional ride (outside of my bike commute). It's partially because I do Crossfit workouts 3 days on, 1 day off, and I don't have much oomph for a strenuous ride. That's just my current choice, though.
  • haleysman
    haleysman Posts: 48
    Options

if your gonna do that much weight like lance was doing, i highly recommend wearing shoes...a broken toe from a dropped weight will put the bike riding on hold for some time