More Insanity or 6 Week 6 Pack

Options
I'm two weeks away from completing Insanity (YAY!) I've seen a lot of improvement in my weight, measurements and fitness levels, so I'm really pleased with the results!

I have still 20 pounds to lose to hit goal, so I'm planning what to get started with once Insanity is over.

I'm carrying my weight now mostly in my mid section (I don't know, is that a "watermelon" shape or something?!). I know you can't spot reduce, but after 4 babies in 5 years, I know my abs are very weak, and *part* of the problem as far as posture etc. goes. Don't get me wrong - there's still layers of ACTUAL fat on my belly, I just wonder if getting really strong abs would help my appearance while I work through diet to reduce the fat.

So, my real question - is to see if people think it would be more beneficial to me to do another round of Insanity - which is a whole pile of cardio (to burn the fat around my tummy..which is the last bit of fat to go...my legs and arms are looking good) OR if I should give Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack a try to tighten up my midsection to improve my appearance (give me back a bit of that hour glass shape)...any insight would be great!

I am going to keep working at this to get to my goal, but I have a short term goal that I want to give all my energy to reaching - I'm in a wedding in June, so I just want to not waste any time looking as good as I can for that date!!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd find cardio you like, if that's Insanity, stick with it and add in some real strength training. maybe do 6 week 6 pack a couple of times a week, but really, I'd do cardio, a good lifting program with compound lifts 9which engage your core) and add in some 10-15 minute core-centric workouts like Pilates or something.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So cardio is the main event....just add the ab strength stuff to the cardio.

The lifting program is a little challenging as I have to do the exercise at home - I have 4 little kids, and day care either at the gym or hiring outside sitters costs a fortune, so I get my workouts in during nap time or after they go to bed at night! :) But I can make it work with Insanity/running/6W6P etc.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would start again with insanity month 1, however with the 20 minute difference between the two months that gives you plenty of time to find a ab workout that works for you. Or even add in the insanity ab work out a few extra times a week. When you get done just throw it in and get right into that one. That way you are still getting the cardio that was burning fat while also working on your abs.
  • ElenaTS
    ElenaTS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity (But I do a lot of interval and cardio training.) I just got 6 week 6 pack last week and really like it. But I would definitely not use this as a replacement for cardio. I will tack it on to the end of a cardio workout. My heartrate barely got up. And I didn't remotely break a sweat.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like 6 week 6 pack. Its a good relatively low-impact core workout. I wouldn't use it alone as the only workout method - but its great every other day or so to really work on building muscle in the core...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So cardio is the main event....just add the ab strength stuff to the cardio.

The lifting program is a little challenging as I have to do the exercise at home - I have 4 little kids, and day care either at the gym or hiring outside sitters costs a fortune, so I get my workouts in during nap time or after they go to bed at night! :) But I can make it work with Insanity/running/6W6P etc.

That's not what I meant. Get a good lifting program, like New Rules of LIfting or a 5x5. Get some adjustable dumbbells or see if you can find a bar and bench with plates if you can afford it. I have 2 kids and work full time. I lift heavy at home. Even resistance bands would be good. I lift (Madcow 5x5) 3 times a week, runn three times a week and add some walking or HIIT after my lifting and abs and yoga after my runs (2 times a week).