Less Meat

Options
crabbok
crabbok Posts: 66 Member
Not going full blown vegetarian, but after watching a few documentaries on netflix, I've decided to at least reduce my meat intake. Over the last 2 weeks I have only had meat twice, and I don't really miss it. I am really enjoying vegetarian recipes, and it turns out beans taste really good and are filling!

I've heard that if you stop eating meat, after awhile your body will no longer be able to process it and you'll get sick if you try to eat it.... anyone ever heard the same?

Replies

• thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm sure it could happen. When you stop consuming something for long periods of time I'm sure the body can have some issues digesting it when you start consuming it again. I get incredibly sick if I eat fat food (things like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)... my system is no longer used to that type of food anymore.

I haven't consumed meat in almost a year... I don't plan to ever go back though.
  • crabbok
    Options
    Even fish? I love me some sushi! And most places don't have very many veggy-options with sushi. I'm considering getting one of those kist to make my own sushi though, because there's so many options on stuff to use!
  • crabbok
    Options
    And for anyone who is full blown Vegetarian or Vegan - Does it get ackward if you are invited to some kind of social gathering that involves food? IE Someone invites you over for dinner, or company Christmas Party or something?
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Even fish? I love me some sushi! And most places don't have very many veggy-options with sushi. I'm considering getting one of those kist to make my own sushi though, because there's so many options on stuff to use!

I've never consumed fish even when I've had sushi. I make my own vegetarian sushi and always have.

The way I see it, if you are gonig to be a vegetarian or vegan you will not consume any animal flesh (whether it be meat or fish)... I don't understand those that consume it now and again but still label themselves as vegetarian... or those who claim to be pescartarians. Animal flesh is animal flesh... regardless of which animal it comes from.

For your post after this, it sometimes get awkward. I normally will bring my own food or something to a party that I know I will eat just in case. When I go to my in laws for dinner, they are good with making something else for me (or they have enough sides made that I can make a mini meal for me)... my dad normally will have something for me as well.

I have one friend who recently got married and I ended up being the only one not eating which was a bit awkward. They only had sandwiches with meat on it, broccoli and dip (cucumber was gone, and I can't eat broccoli raw), along with some trays of lunch meats. I also have one friend who claims she forgets each time she invites us over for dinner than tries to force meat on me.

I find a lot of peole don't know what a vegetarian truly is which makes it harder.

Ultimately, if you want to be vegetarian go vegetarian ... but don't swap between being vegetarian and not being vegetarian.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you stop eating meat, after awhile your body will no longer be able to process it and you'll get sick if you try to eat it.... anyone ever heard the same?

You won't necessarily get "sick" but you could have a few GI "issues" if you go without meat for a while and then add it back. The same will happen with many foods. It's why people who give up grains get bloated and have issues if they decide to eat a piece of bread or donut. And why many travelers have issues when eating foreign foods/spices.

Your gut produces bacteria to digest the foods you eat. If you throw something unusual at it, there's a chance you won't have the specific bacteria needed and you'll get bloating, gassy, or other undesirable symptoms.

If you aren't cutting it out completely and are still eating meat semi-regularly, it's unlikely to be an issue. A daily probiotic might also help.
  • crabbok
    Options

Ultimately, if you want to be vegetarian go vegetarian ... but don't swap between being vegetarian and not being vegetarian.

Well as for right now I'm not going vegetarian, just eating many vegetarian meals. I think that morally I'm ok with consuming animal flesh, so long as it's rare. If everyone who eats meat, limited it to only once a week for example, then we wouldn't have such a problem with this massive industry treating animals so poorly. At least that's how I feel right now. But I'm evolving as a person all the time. I may eventually go full blown vegetarian, or maybe even one day Vegan. We'll see how it goes.

One of the best arguments I've seen FOR a vegan diet is that we now have the technology to do so much more with food, that we don't HAVE to eat animal products anymore. We can ship in produce from anywhere, we can even make veggy burgers that taste much better than they did 10 years ago, and my son eats corndogs that are meat-free... and they taste JUST like corn dogs! It's pretty cool how we as a society have grown.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I don't really understand this comment. Putting ethical reasons aside because that's very personal, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having vegetarian days and meat eating days. I know a lot of people who are strong and healthy who eat meat around twice a week and keep it vegetarian on the other days. I also have a friend that eats meat only on special occasions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with swapping as long as they are getting the nutrition they need and they are happy with their diet.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think reducing your meat intake in any way you can and sourcing your meat more responsibly is a really great thing to do if you can't fully commit to going veggie right now!

Imagine if everyone made a small change..

In my opinion anything is better than nothing. Good for you.

I went veggie (by my own definition) nearly a year ago. I've slipped up and eaten fish/seafood on three occasions and don't go crazy checking everything I eat for slaughter by products. That's where I'm at for now.

You don't have to rush to label yourself.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for 6 months, and today I am card carrying member of the 'I love bacon' club. At first maybe you would have problems introducing meat back into your diet but it's not like your body can't get adjusted to it again.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Uh... not true!

Do whatever you want! Simply REDUCING the amount of meat you eat will be better for you - labels are for schmucks =P
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    For the crusader who said to stop being a half-way vegetarian (technically it's called flexitarian): get a life. People can eat whatever they want.

To the OP:

I haven't eaten meat since early February, and it's crazy how much better I feel.. I expected to just eat meat less, but it turned into a "how long can I do it?" I will probably still eat fish some day, but only fish I catch and kill with my own hands. That's my plan, anyhow, but that could change. We'll see. I also may eat the odd egg if my friend ends up getting chickens at his house, and cheese very rarely (pizzas, pretty much). But yeah, I have no desire right now for any of that, and if it stays that way, then that's fine by me.

I feel like a traitor to my screen name and profession, though. Unfortunately, MFP won't let me change it a second time.

Here's a great site for you to check out: www.theppk.com
    Luckily, there is no vegan verification system there, to make sure you're not some kind of heathen trying to use their delicious recipes for your own gain.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this. Why would anyone want to give up meat unless there is a pressing medical reason? (And don't tell me " meat is murder", etc., because that is bull****.) Beans are okay at best. Nothing tastes better than rare beef or lamb. And I'm looking forward to raising some Muscovy ducklings for butchering in the fall. Best tasting duck ever!. Fish...I hate fish and won't eat it, with the rare exception of salmon.
  • feliligram
    Options
    I don't know if they're is any scientific fact or anything, but I've been a vegetarian most of my life.
    I ate chicken and was sick to my stomach.
    :P
    Of course, it could just be the chicken. lol
    No meat for me. :P
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat in nearly four years and have no plans to in the future – not sure if it would make me sick to eat but it absolutely nauseates me to smell it cooking, particularly the smoke coming off barbecues. Of course, I really don't eat fried foods and the smell of fat friers makes me queasy, too.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this. Why would anyone want to give up meat unless there is a pressing medical reason? (And don't tell me " meat is murder", etc., because that is bull****.) Beans are okay at best. Nothing tastes better than rare beef or lamb. And I'm looking forward to raising some Muscovy ducklings for butchering in the fall. Best tasting duck ever!. Fish...I hate fish and won't eat it, with the rare exception of salmon.
    There are many reasons why a person might not want to eat meat. For example, you don't like fish - WHY IS THAT? Trout is the best animal I've ever tasted, and here you are, saying you hate fish, except for salmon... Salmon is a poor man's trout... Cheap-*kitten* imitation crap! :laugh:
    I ate chicken and was sick to my stomach.
    You're supposed to cook it!
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Uh... not true!

Do whatever you want! Simply REDUCING the amount of meat you eat will be better for you - labels are for schmucks =P

Lol. I'm a pescatarian, but only eat fish once or twice a week. I haven't died yet.

In fact, I feel great with this diet.

Not everyone needs to go in a certain diet box.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Be a flexitarian!!!! That means that you get to enjoy meatless meals, for the good of the world, and meat, for the good of your omnivore health.

I think that myth about not being able to digest meat comes from places in the world where people are often protein starved, and can't make the enzymes, which are proteins and require the amino acids that we get from protein, to digest a lot of things. So when they actually get meat, which they're happy to have, they may not have the enzymes to digest it properly.

I was a vegetarian for 5 years, got a craving for steak, and had absolutely no problems digesting it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This post baffles me, unless it's just meant to be inflammatory to those that feel killing animals for food is wrong (which is probably the case). Surely it's not that hard to imagine that people have different tastes.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    And for anyone who is full blown Vegetarian or Vegan - Does it get ackward if you are invited to some kind of social gathering that involves food? IE Someone invites you over for dinner, or company Christmas Party or something?

Nope. I've never been somewhere where the only thing being served was meat. There's always at least some salad or other vegetarian side dish I can eat.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Not true. People that stop eating it and go back probably just don't remember what its like to eat it and feel like they used to. Your body doesn't evac meat all that fast, so that might be The feeling. But no your body doesn't "forget".