Fuel for weight lifting

Options
I'm putting together a weight lifting regimen for weight loss and I'm trying to research what type of protein drink/electrolyte replacement is best for before the workout and after. Any help is most welcome!

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Whey has the most accessable protein for your body to break down and use so I would suggest trying out a whey protein shake. For electrolytes I personally use pickle juice but a lot of people think it's nasty. It's almost no calories and is the best kept secret of several sports teams.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat my normal dinner and do my lifting at 7:30PM so I don't take anything before.
    I bought some basic whey protein from Wal-Mart that I take after my lifting workout.
    Don't eat too soon before lifting, I've nearly thrown up from doing that.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for a shake/suppliment, but I figured I throw in what I have been doing seeing as it seems to be working so well. I eat a 6 oz steak with an egg, mushrooms and onions fried in coconut oil. Fantastic results, much better than any suppliment I have ever tried.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for a shake/suppliment, but I figured I throw in what I have been doing seeing as it seems to be working so well. I eat a 6 oz steak with an egg, mushrooms and onions fried in coconut oil. Fantastic results, much better than any suppliment I have ever tried.
    Food is always a better option than a supplement, that way you'll get to eat, feel full and get all of the macros instead of just protein.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy some sort of protein rich food (bar) about 30-60 minutes before workout. I notice quite a difference in the intensity when I do.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's really not worth worrying about. Just make sure you have a meal of some kind within 2 hours before your workout and you'll be fine. Eat within 2 hours after and you'll be fine.

Shakes are fine too. I often have half a cup of milk with a scoop of whey about an hour before I lift, but that's because I hit the gym at like 5 PM and haven't had lunch since 12:30 or 1 PM. Then I make dinner after I get home and cool down.

A lot of people like having some black coffee shortly before lifting. The caffeine helps pump you up a bit. It makes me a little too jittery.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Food is always a better option than a supplement, that way you'll get to eat, feel full and get all of the macros instead of just protein.

I prefer food as well.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you take your protein. Coffee pre workout can give you an energy boost. Or a preworkout supplement. But you don't need it. Focus on the important stuff- lifting program, schedule, recovery.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you take your protein. Coffee pre workout can give you an energy boost. Or a preworkout supplement. But you don't need it. Focus on the important stuff- lifting program, schedule, recovery.

Definately, coffee is fantastic pre-workout
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Technically you will not need anything in terms for food fuel for weight lifting provided you have eaten something the day before. To my knowledge muscles tend to prefer the use of stored glycogen vs blood sugar for fuel.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    *listening in*

What if the workout is at 5 am?
    Would you eat before hand, or just wait till after?

I'm also going to be starting a lifting program soon.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

I don't do anything special pre or post workout, I am still lifting heavy and progressing fine. As long as you hit your daily macros and calories, that is all your body needs. I also cycle everywhere and run once per week.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    *listening in*

What if the workout is at 5 am?
    Would you eat before hand, or just wait till after?

I'm also going to be starting a lifting program soon.

if i'm doing cardio, i'll either eat something small beforehand or do it fasted depending on how hungry i am when i wake up. if i'm lifting, i always make sure to eat a little something beforehand. bananas, eggs, and peanut butter are usually my go-tos for that.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I like a decent meal a couple hours before training.

then caffeine about 30 minutes beforehand helps.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    **** the science, I still drink protein within an hour post-workout and 30 minutes pre-workout (for the BCAAs, if I'm taking pure BCAAs I take it 15 mins pre-workout). Pre-workout I use whenever I'm feeling off or need an extra boost.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's really not worth worrying about. Just make sure you have a meal of some kind within 2 hours before your workout and you'll be fine. Eat within 2 hours after and you'll be fine.

Shakes are fine too. I often have half a cup of milk with a scoop of whey about an hour before I lift, but that's because I hit the gym at like 5 PM and haven't had lunch since 12:30 or 1 PM. Then I make dinner after I get home and cool down.

A lot of people like having some black coffee shortly before lifting. The caffeine helps pump you up a bit. It makes me a little too jittery.

Yes! so glad I don't have to worry about this. I usually forget to do some protein snack after. Getting in enough protein is an adjustment for me, so good to know as long as I'm having enough overall, I'm fine. I still have a lot to learn about the schedule, recovery and all that.

if I am having a protein snack it's probably something easy and cheap like unshelled peanuts.