I gained 3 lbs in one week...

Options
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.I weighed myself last week and was 145(5ft9) .I weighed myself yesterday and today and the scale says that I'm 148.How's that possible?
Over the last 3 months I've been stuck at the same weight.Last week I started doing cardio more seriously .I've beem eating around 1500 calories a day but last week I upped my fiber intake too.
Can someone take a look at my dairy and tell me what i'm doing wrong as I don't know what to do anymore?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You say that you eat about 1500 calories a day, but your diary shows some days at 900, others at 1200, and a few at 400. Either you aren't logging accurately, or you need to be eating more. As for the three pounds in a week, that's likely just water weight (especially if it's your time of the month). My weight can fluctuate up to five pounds in a day. Unless you ate 10500 calories over MAINTENANCE in a week you did not gain 3lbs of fat.

Get consistent about logging and make sure you're hitting your total daily calorie goal.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    From what I saw in your diary it seems to me as though you're not hitting 1500 calories a day - unless you're not logging everything. You should definitely try to hit 1500 (or more - calculate your BMR and TDEE - have you seen the road map post?).
    If you are actually eating 1500 calories a day, this is normal. Your body is adjusting and your body fat% is probably going down.
    In addition, it could just be water weight. I fluctuate up to 5 pounds a day simply because of water weight.
    Hang in there and don't give up.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You are consistently over your carbs and way under on your protein. Try to even that out a bit :)
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I looked at your diary and some days you are not eating enough.. Make sure that you get atleast 1200 calories in in a day. Also make sure you weigh in in the mornings after using the bathroom. Try to do it with out clothes on to get a more acurate reading. Also are you drinking enough water to help flush your system?? Is it also possible for it to be TOTM? That will always add a few pounds of water retention...
  • emafairycake1986
    emafairycake1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    try upping your water in take also you seem to skip breakfast alot and never really hit your 1500 cal mark xx
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hey! Do you feel bloated at all? Usually when I up my fiber intake I have trouble digesting it at first and that leads to some weight gain. Are you drinking a lot of water to compensate for the extra fiber? Also, looking at your diary, your carbs and sugar are over the limit almost every day over the last week..you might want to consider bringing that within your allowance to see some difference. Carbs make me retain a ton of water and that leads to weight gain as well.

You don't seem to have a lot of weight to lose, so losing will be harder at this time. So measure yourself with a measuring tape and focus on weight lifting. You might not see the scale move but your body will thank you and the inches will drop. All the best!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You say that you eat about 1500 calories a day, but your diary shows some days at 900, others at 1200, and a few at 400. Either you aren't logging accurately, or you need to be eating more. As for the three pounds in a week, that's likely just water weight (especially if it's your time of the month). My weight can fluctuate up to five pounds in a day. Unless you ate 10500 calories over MAINTENANCE in a week you did not gain 3lbs of fat.

Get consistent about logging and make sure you're hitting your total daily calorie goal.

^This!

It takes 3500 calories ot gain a pound. I am sure you did not eat 10,500 cals. this week. It's probably just water weight. To counter this, drink more water! Be honest with your logging and DO eat more.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you seem to be eating fairly decent just looking through the past few days, how much water are you drinking, and how is your sodium levels? Most likely it's a good chunk of water weight.

Also are you working out? eating back your exercise calories?

Try experimenting with your calorie intake, eat more see if it works, or eat less and see if it works.

I've been told several times and have read, that water is the cure for plateaus, so drink up!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things I noticed while going through the last weeks entries...

1. No water consumption, is this accurate? If so, you definitely need to change that! Hydrations is vital...
    2. Your sugar and carb consumption is over almost every single day, and your protein consumption isn't close to where it needs to be. Try to make some adjustments to the things you are eating. I'd also be interested in seeing what your sodium intake is, that could definitely pack on pounds quickly (but they will also disappear quickly with some adjustments).
    3. You need to try to stay constant with the number of calories you are eating in a day. I struggle with this myself, the weekends are difficult for me. I often times will not think about eating until late in the afternoon, and then my entire day is thrown off.

Good luck!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you have gained weight since you seem to be at a deficit, but here are some guesses. If you aren't drinking enough water, up it. Drinking water, I find, can cause the body to release all that extra water retention. Especially if you did Str training or an exercise that cause the muscles to retain water. The body can fluctuate daily 1-5 lb's from water retention. So if you are on track with diet and exercising, then don't worry about it. Netting under 1200 is not going to make you gain weight, however, it's sort of bad for you as your body needs 1200 to function correctly. If you know you have been good with logging everything correctly, then I am guessing its water weight :)
  • SNWilliams13
    Options
    Drinking water is a MUST! Try drinking half of your body weight in ounces.
  • Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I routinely gain 5# of water weight - esp after a "fun" weekend. Be sure, like everyone is saying, to eat your cals (and log them) and to drink a lot of water. I've been stuck at the same weight for about a month too, but my clothes are feeling better so I know something is working. Sometimes, its not what we see on the scale but how we feel too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate 3-4 pounds in a single day.

That's why I weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. Every single day.

This filters out mid-day fluctuations and a single "heavy" day is just a blip I only have to think about until the next morning, instead of stewing over all week.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts - watch your salt intake, increase your water, protein & fiber, try to decrease your carbs. And pop if you drink it. I know any time I have diet pop I will automatically weigh more.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    All true! I put on two pounds the week before last and could not understand why. I upped my water intake and dropped on the scales. I tend to have too much sodium in my diet so should follow my own advice more often!