NSV - Wait, I'm fast?

Options
rynomite57
rynomite57 Posts: 61 Member
At my worst, I was a 5'10", 225 guy. I was fat. Like rolls on my back, fat. That was in 2006. I've been up and down both physically and emotionally since then, and really only ever got down to 169 because of starving myself or bouts with depression. Also, from 2000 to 2010, I was smoking a pack a day.

While practicing for a charity kickball tourney in the 2010, I could sprint to 1st with the best of 'em. Beyond that, forget it. My friend Matt convinced me to take up running, but I'd always used excuses: bad knees, I hate treadmills, etc. I was fooling myself.

Matt convinced me to try Couch to 5K, so I gave it a shot. On the day I began the program, July 31, 2010, I finished my last cigarette and got started. It was a brutal nightmare. Run for a minute? Like a whole minute? Thank God I could walk for 5 minutes after that!

Since that date, I haven't had a single cigarette, I've taken up yoga, I run around 4 times per week, completed 12 races and just this Saturday, competing in my 3rd Philadelphia Phillies 5K. I finished with a time of 24:54. 8:01/mile! I looked down at my legs and said, "How in the hell did you two just do that?" I could almost cry. That's how I proud I am right now.

I'm bloated today from a few weekend birthdays, but I feel great. I'm looking skinnier every day and I WILL be 160 this year, the right way. And I wouldn't have dreamed of calling myself a runner before, but since January, I've been training for the 10 mile Philadelphia Broad Street Run!

I just wanted to share that for anyone who's afraid they can't do it, whether their "it" is running, eating right or just losing weight. Every one of those goals is just something you haven't done YET. And if you fall down, who cares? Get back up again.

Good luck everyone! And thanks for letting me share.

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Love those races! Keep it up :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    congratulations. perseverance pays.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Great job!!! Now start training for the next one :-)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You're quite the inspiration and I hope there's someone out there who takes your words to heart. I've lived my life in a way that I never tried so many things because "I just can't do that". In the past year I've learned that I can do so much more than I ever thought. You just have to work at it. Thanks so much for sharing, and congratulations! You SHOULD be really proud.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What a great NSV! So inspiring, thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Loved your story...thanks for sharing!
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    "How in the hell did you two just do that?"

That's wonderful and funny and amazing! Great work. :)
  • MrsJJUt
    MrsJJUt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love this!!! Just what I needed to read on Monday morning!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    love Philly!!, congrats on your success!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    Awesome inspiration. There are plenty of things I think I CAN'T do. I will have to change my mind set. Thanks and congrats!!
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have seen the term NSV on here several times and am curious what it means?
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    And congrats! :)
  • tallpixels
    Options
    Yay Philly! Congrats, very inspiring!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Really great job. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Congratulations AND Thank You for A WONDERFUL Story to start the Day!!
  • blackwidowdancer82
    blackwidowdancer82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is awesome news! Proud of you! You inspired me. I want to continue reaching new dance heights, weightloss goals, and fitness heights!

Thank you for sharing!

Kelly
  • rynomite57
    Options
    I have seen the term NSV on here several times and am curious what it means?

Non-scale victory.
  • rynomite57
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! And the support. I feel stupid good right now. Can't take too much time being proud though. Next race is less than two weeks away! ;)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    That is a kick-*kitten* 5K time!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Awesome, you are so going to enjoy the Broad Street Run!!!!! I miss my old running grounds out there
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!