How do YOU make hard boiled eggs???

Options
LeanerBeef
LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
File this under the Dumb Question of the Day but yes, how do you make hard boiled eggs?

I know put it in a water, boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Done. Yes, I’ve accomplished that. However…..I’ve noticed that sometimes they come out better than others. And sometimes they are very annoying to peel.

Do you put them in the water before or after it is boiling?
How long do you leave them in?
How can I get them to peel easier? I find myself pulling off some egg with the shell sometimes and I need all of my egg. :bigsmile:

Feel free to mock me accordingly and thank you!

Replies

• bunnyboo24
    bunnyboo24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I put them in the pot, then put enough water in them to cover the eggs. Then Once it starts boilig, I set the timer for 15 minutes and they're done! Some people boil them a shorter amount of time then that but I don't like the yolk soft so it's perfect for me.
  • bunnyboo24
    bunnyboo24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to get them to peel easier, soak them in the pot with cold water after. I usually leave them soaking for at least an hour before putting them in the fridge.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Start with cold water, so your eggs do not crack. Bring to a boil and then turn off the water. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes. Take out and put them in an ice bath--makes it easy to peel them. This yields perfect, non-rubbery eggs with no weird greenish brown color on the yolks.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I boil mine in "salt" water (makes it easier to peel) but not too much salt. I boil for abt 10-15 minutes. I used the "spoon" test. If I lift the egg up and it dries IMMEDIATELY, my egg is "boiled completely"
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Put eggs in saucepan.
    Cover eggs with water plus another 1/2'' of water.
    Optional: add a splash of white vinegar to make egg shells turn their whitest.
    Bring water to boil over medium high heat.
    Boil 15 minutes. Do not reduce heat.
    Drain water.
    Put hot eggs in an ice water bath for 5-10 minutes. This is important! It stops cooking the eggs so the yolks don't turn green and makes the shells come off easier.

PERFECT HARD BOILED EGGS EVERY SINGLE TIME
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I usually put the eggs in after the water is boiling. Sometimes I put them in earlier.

I boil them for 10 minutes then turn off the heat and take them out when I can finally handle them. If I'm in a hurry, I dump them a bowl and run cold water over them until they are cool enough to handle.

The older the eggs are before you boil them, the easier they will be to peel. Fresh eggs are the hardest to peel neatly.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If eggs are very fresh, meaning less than a week out of the chicken, they will be much harder to peel.

I put eggs in cold water. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Let stand in hot water for 14 minutes. Run cold water into pan and let eggs cool.

They turn out perfect every time.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Boil... put them in before water boils. I let them boil for close to 10 minutes. To shell them I roll the egg back and forth on the counter to crack the shell... the shell will peel off in a few strands this way if you grab the membrane.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cuisinart egg maker yesterday.. it steams the eggs... used it last night and the eggs came out perfect! And steamed eggs are a ton easier to peel. I'm pretty excited about this unit.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I let the eggs sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes before I boil them.

Bring the water to a boil, put the eggs in. Boil on high for 3 minutes and then turn the heat down to simmer and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Then I put the entire pot in the sink and let cold water run over them until the pot is cold to the touch.

I've never had a problem peeling them with this method, but I know there are many ways to hard boil an egg.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of baking soda to cold water that is about 1 inch over the eggs
    bring it to a boil
    cut the heat and leave for 10 minutes
    remove eggs, drain and rinse under cold water untill cool enough to touch

The shells should come right off, baking soda passes through the eggshell and helps the albumen to separate from the shell.

Eggs tend to cook best when the temprature is gradualy raised, low and slow all around for any egg dish should provide the best results.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I bring water to boil, add eggs, boil 12 min, remove eggs
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Start with cold water, so your eggs do not crack. Bring to a boil and then turn off the water. Let the eggs sit for 12 minutes. Take out and put them in an ice bath--makes it easy to peel them. This yields perfect, non-rubbery eggs with no weird greenish brown color on the yolks.

I do the same but I also add salt and vinegar to my water.
  • glory2Him
    glory2Him Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agreed with some of the other posts. The fresher the egg, the harder they are to peel. For Easter, I bought eggs a week ago (still plenty of use by date left) so they will peel easier when we are ready for them.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    1) Place eggs in pot (gently)
    2) Fill with cold water until eggs covered + 1/2 in or so
    3) Bring to a boil on high heat
    4) Remove from heat, let stand for 25 mins
    5) Remove from pot and plunge into ice bath until cool
    6) Peel and enjoy
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

^^^^This
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I bring water to boil, add eggs, boil 12 min, remove eggs

this is what I do, and run under cold water after for an easy peel.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Rice steamer:

I put them in the steamer for 24 minutes or so. When they come out they go into cold water for 5 to 10 minutes. When I crack up the shell it comes off in basically 2 chunks without any problems. Don't wait too long to peel them (don't let them sit for 1/2 hr in water) or the membrane won't split easily and then it takes forever to get the shell off.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I have a hard boiled egg cooker because I'm crap at making them on the stove...