Another TDEE question...?

Options
Is it better to set kcal goal as TDEE with planned deficit and eat back exercise kcals OR set as TDEE and not eat back kcals?

On the other hand, would it be better to do the above with BMR as goal?

THOUGHTS? :]

Replies

• imjenjen00
    Options
    Did you include exercise when you calculated your TDEE? If you did, then set your calorie goal to that number and don't eat back exercise calories.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It's not a case of which is better or worse - it's a case of which you prefer. If you like to log your exercise, to have a visual record or whatever the reason, then don't include the exercise and do log it and eat it back. However, if you don't have the time to log exercise or again, whatever the reason, then do include exercise in your TDEE and do not eat it back.

Personally, I am anti-math and since I don't have a HRM and since MFP's calorie burn estimations are wildly inaccurate, I went with including exercise activity in my TDEE. That way I have a straight number to eat to, no fluctuating based on my exercise I may or may not do in a day, no trying to figure out accurate calorie burns, etc. I do exercise but I do NOT eat it back.

Edit to add: I keep track of my exercise in the "Exercise Notes" section
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    when you say plus exercise kcals do you mean what i burn at the gym including the 1.2x sedatary?
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good initial question I too am trying to work out whether it is best to eat a calorie deficient diet to lose weight or to hit tdee and not worry about , hopefully you get some more opinions
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I figured out my TDEE a few times, but decided to just eat between 1600-1900 cal/day...regardless if I workout or not. I figure I will lose if I just stick to those calorie totals. I get in a lot of activity thru sports and the gym, so I know I'll lose if I just maintain the calorie goal. The difficult part is not eating over the 1900 calories, but I'll do it every now and then to spike my metabolism or if I KNOW I'll be burning a major amount of calories during the week. Good luck!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    so are you all saying that if I calculate my TDEE....as long as I stay below that number I will lose weight? well, provided you aren't too far under (however far that is) right or your body goes into a mode where it slows down your metabolism?
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replys.

I have been eating at BMR 1455 the past few weeks but eating back exercise kcals.

This would mean that i should be loosing weight if i am only eating BMR to maintain body function basically loosing weight.

If i were to eat my TDEE of 1745 and not eat back exercise kcals then i would probably still be eating 1455 kcals loosing weight.

If i were to eat my TDEE of 1745 and EAT back the kcals then i should maintain weight?

Is this the theory?
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You are correct that TDEE is the amount you would eat for maintenance. For weight loss, you need to subtract from TDEE (10-20% depending on how much you have to lose).

I do TDEE based on sedentary (BMR times 1.2) minus 20% and then I do eat back exercise calories. I did that initially because I did not have a specific workout pattern. I do now, and when I did TDEE based on moderately active (BMR times 1.4) minus 20% without eating back calories it's pretty much the same thing. However, I do have a scheduled off day, so I like to aim for the lower number on those days.

ETA: If you want to see the math: My BMR is 1728. Based on sedentary, my TDEE is 2074. Minus 20%, my daily calorie goal is 1660, and my typical workouts are 250-300 calories, which would put me at 1910-1960 total calories per day with exercise. Using the higher multiplier, my TDEE is 2420. Minus 20% my daily calorie goal is 1936, with the exercise already included.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Is it better to set kcal goal as TDEE with planned deficit and eat back exercise kcals OR set as TDEE and not eat back kcals?

On the other hand, would it be better to do the above with BMR as goal?

THOUGHTS? :]
    I don't think you understand what TDEE is...TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure...that includes everything...NEAT, BMR, EAT, etc. It includes all your exercises. If you're taking TDEE-deficit + exercise then you're likely eating your TDEE again. In any of the cases you do I'd recommend eating more then your organs eat lol. Personally if exercise is constant I like the idea of setting your goal as TDEE and eating about 500 cals below it. Most people take the cut out. What I actually do is enter my Sedentary TDEE and log exercise and eat most everything back.

If you don't understand what any of this means just do what Taso just posted :p
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    bump- will come back later