30 day shred help

Options
I started my 30 day shred today and i could only do 5 mins. I was in agony and exhausted. Felt like i was going to be sick and couldnt catch my breath.

Has this happened at the beginning for any of you guys??

Please help me out as i was really looking forward to doing this routine :)

Thanks,
Karyn xx

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go as slowly as you need - use light dumbbells, or no dumbbells at first. Do the best you can, stopping to catch your breath as needed. Start with every other day if necessary, but stick with it - you will see improvements in your stamina, flexibility and strength in no time! Before you know it you will be completing the whole workout without stopping. :smile: Hang in there - you can do it!
  • karynjenkins
    Options
    Thanks AmyRhubarb

I stopped after 5 mins,,but im gona get back into it so that i can complete the full 20mins even if it takes 40mins lol
    Hopefully as u say in a few days i will be able to do it all the way through without stopping as much :P

:) xx
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 today, i tought i was gonna get sick the first day actualy near the end i thought
    i was gonna die lol!

all i can say is stick with it (at you'r own pase) and it will get easyer !
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I started it the first time (end of January), I had to stop several times to catch my breath. My knees hurt a lot the first few days also. I stopped as needed and did a walk in place move or something while I rested. Then I picked back up and kept going. I went a little longer between breaks each time. Then I could do the whole thing without stopping. So my advice, rest when you need to, and keep going when you can.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    With this workout you definitely need to learn how to control your breathing, and be aware of it. Stop and walk in place to catch your breath when you need to. You'll get stronger and find it easier as you go. Level 1 can be hard on the knees as well. Remember to not try to follow Natalie if you find it hard, follow Anita to start out.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of 30 day shred, this is my 2nd time around. The first time I tried it ... I felt so pathetic and fat I just gave up, I stopped working out for a week or so then my hubby asked me why I wasn't working out anymore and I said because I can't do it, it's to hard and i'm to out of shape. Then it hit me .... i'm not superwoman. It took me 5 years to gain all of this weight, 5 years of no exercise and I expected to do a Jillian Michael's workout perfectly the first time around? Dream big! lol. I put together a routine of my own, did it 5-6 days a week until I could finish 30 ds, now i'm doing it all the way through. It's still challenging but in a good way and I know I can do it, so can you. Just do what you can, as long as you can and I promise you will be able to finish it.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! On the first day of levels 1 and 2 I felt like I was going to throw up, but after that it was fine. I look forward to it now! It will be so good for you, in so many ways, that by day 5 or so, you'll forget all about that initial feeling. Just keep pushing!
  • karynjenkins
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I only got up to about 5 minutes,,,but after reading what you have said I put it back and tried to continue it through.

I managed the whole thing with only stopping a little.

I have dislocated knees which makes the exercise a little harder to do. They keep dislocating because there are no muscle around it to keep in place. This makes me want to work even harder so that I can build the muscle and stop being in so much pain in my knees :P

Thanks again to you all,,,im hoping I feel a little better tomorrow and can do the whole thing without stopping for so long in between :D

xxx
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30-day shred, it took me about a week before I could get through the entire DVD without stopping it so I could heave for a few minutes. If you have to stop it to breathe, do what you have to do. Just start it up again when you can, and eventually you'll get stronger. Good for you for not giving up!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you have those kind of knee issues I think you need to get with your doctor and figure out what exercise is best for you...that exercise is far too hard on the knees for anyone with knee problems...
  • karynjenkins
    Options
    Already been to my doctor and private physio. My physio told me all i have to do is build the muscle round about it.

He has given me exercises like standing against a wall and sliding down, etc. so im doing them aswell.

Thanks for your concern though :) x