Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
kc82
kc82 Posts: 65 Member
At the gym I see people who wear heart rate monitors. I would like to purchase one, however I'm not sure which ones would be worth it. (There's SO many!) So my question is: Are there any HRMs that you would recommend? I appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• MGiardini71884
    MGiardini71884 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. I love it! It tells me how many calories I burned which is really what I wanted. It stores it also so you can go back. It's definitely a great HRM and worth the money!
  • JScar1964
    JScar1964 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 410. It's awesome. I see many that like the Polar brand.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think HRMs are terrible at estimating calories burned. If that's what you want it for, don't bother.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft4 and I LOVE it. I found it keeps within 1 beat with the machines and gives a more accurate calorie burn then the treadmills. I think its normally 89$, but you should be able to find one on sale.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I agree with jonnythan. My HRM is on eBay at the moment.

Using a Polar FT40, I relied on the calorie readings it was giving me (for cardio) and eating back the calories, but putting on about a pound per week when I was looking to lose about the same amount. The HRM readings were was way too generous.

Just work out, watch the scales and body composition if you can and adjust the daily diet accordingly. I'm taking this approach and I'm steadily losing again.

edit: I can't understand how people can say that one HRM is more accurate compared to another or against a cardio machine. How can you know the reading is accurate? Measured how?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you want to use it for? They are only effective in very specific situations, and even then they are only estimates.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    edit: I can't understand how people can say that one HRM is more accurate compared to another or against a cardio machine. How can you know the reading is accurate? Measured how?

That's what amuses me. People assume that since the numbers are different, the HRM is better since it's measuring something and therefore it's the more accurate one.

The reality is that you just have two numbers. It's like having two watches, each with a different time.

A man with a watch always knows the time. A man with two watches is never quite sure.
  • christopherbibbs
    christopherbibbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got an old Polar FS1. I got it because the chest strap was compatible with my gym's cardio equipment and I need to keep track of my heart rate while exercising per doctor's orders. If your goal is simply calorie tracking, I'm sorry to say they are just a bit better than pure guessing. If you want to see if you are exerting yourself at a comparable level day to day, then they're pretty good.

Two things you need to remember when buying a HRM:
    1) A chest strap is the best way to measure. Anything else is subpar.
    2) The watch/computer is for convenience so you don't have to enter things into a computer or figure them out with a calculator (does anyone still do that?)
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you get one with a chest strap. I have a Polar and have had no problems with it.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My experience:
    I initially bought a Polar FT7 which I loved, but after a year or so it stopped working and it is currently in for servicing (they have a 2 year warranty).
    In the meantime I bought a Timex, and after wearing it just once I am returning it because 1. it calculates 1.5 to 2 times more calories burned than the Polar (which is way off), and 2. it was way more complicated to operate.
    I can't wait for my Polar to come back from servicing!
    Good Luck!
  • cheryl529h
    cheryl529h Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    After doing a search on this very topic myself last week, I ordered the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor from amazon.com. It was $71.22 and has the wrist component as well as the chest strap. I haven't received it yet, so can't tell you how well it works, but does seem to be a popular choice among newbies to HRMs.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex personal trainer one it was only $40 at walmart. It tells me the amount of calories I burn. I like how I can put my weight in it and it stores your last calorie burn from the last workout you did which I like so I don't have to quickly write it down.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you get one with a chest strap. I have a Polar and have had no problems with it.
    LOVE MY POLAR FT40.. I TOOK THAT ONE BCS I DIDN'T THINK I NEEDED UPLOADING INTERFACING STUFF.
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have the polar where my husband has the garmin....it's all depends on what you are using it for. I use it to keep my heart rate in check...since i have High Blood pressure. My husband uses the Garmin because of the GPS function since he rides road bikes. They are not cheap so do your research and find the one that suits you the best. For just heart rate and calorie counting the polar is great and you can track it online. -/+ $90.Best of Luck!
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    After doing a search on this very topic myself last week, I ordered the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor from amazon.com. It was $71.22 and has the wrist component as well as the chest strap. I haven't received it yet, so can't tell you how well it works, but does seem to be a popular choice among newbies to HRMs.

^^same here. just purchased mine from amazon yesterday.
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Numbers are just numbers. Any type of calorie burn number is just an estimation. It's a stat to track and that's it. As long as you're consistant and make sure your stats on the device you're using is accurate you should get a pretty darn close estimation.

Now as to which one you should get. It comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer Polar over anything else I've ever used. The straps are comfortable, they work, they last a while and with proper care it's SIMPLE to change the batteries. (make sure to wash your strap and connector after every workout, little soap and water, tooth brush on the connector and just water on the strap and you're golden)

I've owned an FT4 & FT7 and now use the Polar strap with my Nike+ GPS watch. All are pretty darn accurate within 5 to 10% of each other which is pretty darn fantastic.

Do your research, don't let the naysayers deter you from getting a great tracking tool.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use a Zephyr HxM because it can work with my phone over Bluetooth and syncs with Endomondo or Runtastic. I mainly use it to watch my HR while running to ensure I am not overtaxing myself and stay in the right HR zone for calorie burn and not in the lactic phase.
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like the charts and the numbers! Bottom line is that it motivates me throughout the day. My New Balance HRM just died, and now I have a fitbit with a warranty. MFP overestimates calories burned during the day. I know my HRM is at least closer to the truth.