Weighted vest

Options
exermom
exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
Does anyone wear a weighted vest while they're on the treadmill?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one?

Replies

• donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I don't know if that would be a good idea. My treadmill tells me how many calories I have burned according to my weight. I am thinking that yours would give you a false reading. I stopped using the calories burned to what MFP says I burned because my treadmill says I burn more.

Just my opinion though.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I think adding resistance is a great idea! Hand weights, weighted vest, whatever! Maybe the "calories burned" will not be accurate, but it will be underestimated! I'd rather it underestimate than over. Anything you can do to add resistance will build strength and endurance! That's a good thing!
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I think adding resistance is a great idea! Hand weights, weighted vest, whatever! Maybe the "calories burned" will not be accurate, but it will be underestimated! I'd rather it underestimate than over. Anything you can do to add resistance will build strength and endurance! That's a good thing!

Believe me, I am 100% novice at all this stuff :laugh: , but wouldn't that put someone in starvation mode if they are not eating the excercise calories?