gaining weight?

Options
Hi! I'm new to the msg boards but have been using MFP off and on for a yr now.
I've been watching what I eat (low fat/low carbs/lots of veggies/etc) and working out every day (30-45mins) for about 2wks now. Based on my activity level, I'm at about a 1200 cal/day regimen (sometimes I go over, but not by much. maybe 1400 at most). I was losing weight at the beginning (about 4lbs) but the past few days I've been gaining weight! I have increased my water intake when I started (I used to never drink water during the day; mostly pop! and have changed that, obviously). Could the gain be from all the water I'm drinking maybe? Has this happened to anyone else in the beginning? I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing as my body adjusts to a new routine...?

Replies

• syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Drinking more water actually has the opposite of what you're thinking. The more water you drink the less water you're going to retain. However, if you're eating a lot of sodium, that could cause you to retain water.

Sounds too soon for you to be weighing yourself like you are though; try holding off and only doing it once a week.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot about 1,200 not being enough. Especially if you exercise.
    But I don't know your stats. I say run your stats through mfp's database and use the calories they suggest. If it is still 1,200 Maybe you workout too much and only need every other day? I'm really not sure :\
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd blame it on female hormones. I usually have a solid week to 10 days every month where I either plateau or gain. At then end ot that time period, I suddenly drop 1 1/2 - 3 pounds. During these weird plateaus, this is when I measure. If the scale won't show the weight loss, the tape measure will, and peace is restored! If you are doing everything right, the scale will budge again. This weight loss process can really test your patience!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes, it's the water. Most likely.

the first weight you lost was probably water weight. The weight you're gaining now is also water weight. If you're working out every day, it's likely that your muscles are retaining water - I suggest you take a rest day at least once a week to give your body time to adjust. Think of it like this: it takes 3500 kcal to gain one lb of fat. Did you eat 3500 extra calories?

also, from personal experience, our weight fluctuates not only over the month but also over the week. I weigh 2 lb more on Sunday than I do on Friday because I eat more over the weekend. And of couse ToM causes havoc on the scales... However, as long as the general trend over, say, a month is good, you're fine.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'd blame it on female hormones. I usually have a solid week to 10 days every month where I either plateau or gain. At then end ot that time period, I suddenly drop 1 1/2 - 3 pounds. During these weird plateaus, this is when I measure. If the scale won't show the weight loss, the tape measure will, and peace is restored! If you are doing everything right, the scale will budge again. This weight loss process can really test your patience!
    lol, exactly: gain a little bit then hold for max 2 weeks, then suddnely drop a lot! it's psychologically tough but once you manage to rationalize it and take the tape measurements instead, you'll be ok!
  • ccc0131
    ccc0131 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm going through the EXACT same thing! I lost three pounds to begin with, then I jumped on the scale today and was up 3 pounds from friday! I worked out friday but not saturday or sunday and though I didnt stick to my diet saturday, I still didnt go much over my calorie intake for the day. I have read before that hormones can play with your weight loss though. I've also read that you can gain weight while ovulating.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I gain weight every month and a week later it all falls off. I know this so I don't let it bother me. Just chalk it up to what is going on with my body that week. Try to drink plenty of water and keep moving.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Weight will fluctuate day to day and many times it may just be water.

That being said....do some measurements and back away from the scale and give it some time. A decent deficit(but eating enough to fuel your exercise)+exercise+patience=weight loss.
  • sreneej
    sreneej Posts: 1
    Options
    hi, it's possible that you're building muscle. i also think it could be a hormonal thing. hang in there and be good and true to yourself.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    hi, it's possible that you're building muscle. i also think it could be a hormonal thing. hang in there and be good and true to yourself.

No it's not muscle not at a deficit in just two weeks. My guess would be part normal fluctuations - try not to weigh yourself more than one a week and part that you are not eating enought.

Do you eat back your exercise calories?

I'd have a good read of this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Just for some perspective on the cals, I'm 5'2 and eating 1600 a day. :drinker:

Edit: as you don't have much to lose you should also only be aiming for 1 or even 0.5lbs a week loss - slow and steady wins the race when you don't have much to lose :bigsmile: