What????

Options
This weekend I went to my niece's birthday party. It was the first time I'd seen some of my family for several months, and I've lost a lot of weight since then, something like 25 pounds. Pretty much everyone was really impressed and complimentary about how well I'm doing. The only person who didn't say anything was my sister, which is pretty much what I was expecting, as we don't have a very good relationship. Then this morning I saw this cartoon she posted of me on Facebook, for everyone to see. And I SO don't look like this. I've been pissed off about it all morning. What the hell is wrong with people?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/8072231

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Some people are so miserable that they just have to try to bring others down. Don't let her get to you! <3
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is jealous. Let it go. I know that it is hard, but something my husband has taught me is that if it isn't trying to kill you, it isn't a big deal. Just let your sister be herself and keep on with your weight loss. Some people have to make others feel bad about themselves so they can feel good. Remember, you are doing this for you, not for her.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't let her bring you down! You did great with your loss :D
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Acknowledge these things in a negative manner when people do them, it gives them fuel and satisfaction...Ignore them or laugh with them and you take all the fuel and joy out of it.

Learn to laugh at yourself and nobody else will get joy out of it. Works for me.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Buy your niece a puppy. That'll teach her.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    what.a.jerk. ugh!!!!!
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    one word: Jealous
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Learn to laugh at yourself and nobody else will get joy out of it. Works for me.

This is sound advice, and I definitely understand what you're saying. But I've been laughing at myself all my life, trying to deflate the pain out of fat jokes. I finally feel like I don't HAVE to laugh at myself because I've worked hard not to be the butt of the joke. But I hear you; I can't control her actions, just my reactions. Thanks for the input.
  • Stenobun
    Options

LOL! Best EVER!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Haha!! That or something very noisy or messy....bonus points if you can find something that is both!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just....wow.

If I were you...I would print out the cartoon...blow it up BIG time...and put it on your wall to keep you going!!!!! And send her a thank you note...saying, "Thanks for the inspiration, sis! Love ya!" But that's just me. smh...
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't you dare let someone like that bring you down! I know it hurts because it's your sister but shame on her and her childish antics. You're making a positive change in your life and if she can't handle it, too bad for her! Just keep smiling at the fact that you're ten steps ahead of her! :D
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Acknowledge these things in a negative manner when people do them, it gives them fuel and satisfaction...Ignore them or laugh with them and you take all the fuel and joy out of it.

What a juvenile, jerky and hurtful thing to do. All my life, I've longed for a sister. Seriously, from the time my brother was born when I was 4, I knew I wanted a sister, but I'm an only daughter. (Really my parents' only child. I only have half siblings.) So when I hear of sisters not being supportive, I'm just amazed.

That said, I posted about the psychology of those who don't acknowledge weight loss, or other accomplishments. Having lost large amounts of weight twice in my life, I find it interesting that a hand full don't. Not always heavier people. Not always people who don't like you. I'm interested in knowing why. I don't know that's it 100 percent jealousy, although maybe it is.

At any rate, I agree with ignore or laugh. I'm always the first one laughing at myself, and it's very freeing to be able to do so. I spent about 40 years being sensitive as all get out. The ability to laugh at yourself exhibits deep reserves of self-confidence. (Which I'm not sure I have, but fake it 'til you make, right?)

I think it would make your sister crazy if you just rise above.

And congrats from me for your hard work.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow. Your sister is just an insecure, jealous be-yotch, I think. Be proud of your success & keep on keepin' on! <3
  • Stenobun
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. On the plus side, I was so angry this morning I ran an extra long interval at the gym this morning.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow, she sounds delightful.

You've done brilliantly sweets, she's obviously annoyed you got so much positive attention. Sucks to be her!

I agree with the puppy idea ;) Even just mention to your niece that her mum was thinking about it, she'll never hear the end of it!
  • Stenobun
    Options

What a juvenile, jerky and hurtful thing to do. All my life, I've longed for a sister. Seriously, from the time my brother was born when I was 4, I knew I wanted a sister, but I'm an only daughter. (Really my parents' only child. I only have half siblings.) So when I hear of sisters not being supportive, I'm just amazed.

Ready for some irony? She's my twin.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Haha!! That or something very noisy or messy....bonus points if you can find something that is both!
    Puppy AND drum set.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. On the plus side, I was so angry this morning I ran an extra long interval at the gym this morning.

^^
    Now that is the best sweetest revenge ever! Good for you!
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just....wow.

If I were you...I would print out the cartoon...blow it up BIG time...and put it on your wall to keep you going!!!!! And send her a thank you note...saying, "Thanks for the inspiration, sis! Love ya!" But that's just me. smh...

HAHA i love this idea!!