Protein Powder....

Options
abnerner
abnerner Posts: 452 Member
I'm sure it's been posted a million times but I tried to do some searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking for a protein powder that will use up extra calories, add to my protein intake for the day but will not bulk me up or make me gain weight. Any suggestions? I would like to mix it with milk, so I'd like a chocolate or vanilla option.

Replies

• erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am sure it has been posted on here before but I like the Body Fortress Chocolate and Peanut butter Whey powder mixed wiht milk or in my morning coffee. It is reasonably priced, i get it at Walmart, which is huge for me and has something like 32g protein per scoop. It was pretty low in other numbers too but I can't remember specifics.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    protein powder is just that, protein powder. It won't make you gain weight... a calorie surplus makes you gain.

Fit it into your diet along with all your other foods... if you maintain a deficit you'll lose, if you maintain a surplus you'll gain. It's not the protein, it's the total cals.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    GNC wheybolic 60 is my fave - little pricey though - low carb low fat
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use SCI MX Diet protein shake :smile: It comes in Strawberry cream and Chocolate. It's yummy :drinker:
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I use vitol egg white protein, it is very low in carbs and has no added sugar. You can go to luckyvitamin.com. There is also nectar whey protein that I like, it is very low in carbs as well and mixes easily :)
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    protein powder is just that, protein powder. It won't make you gain weight... a calorie surplus makes you gain.

Fit it into your diet along with all your other foods... if you maintain a deficit you'll lose, if you maintain a surplus you'll gain. It's not the protein, it's the total cals.

This ^.

But in answer to your question, I like the Six Star Pro Nutrition - Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus Elite Series in Triple Chocolate and mix one scoop in a glass with 2 Tbsp of peanut butter and 1.5 cups of 2% milk. It tastes amazing and comes to ~555cal. That brand also comes in creamy vanilla and some sort of strawberry flavour.

ETA: 26g of protein in 1 scoop and you can get it at Wal-Mart.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been posted a million times but I tried to do some searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I am looking for a protein powder that will use up extra calories, add to my protein intake for the day but will not bulk me up or make me gain weight. Any suggestions? I would like to mix it with milk, so I'd like a chocolate or vanilla option.

Any of them will do. Nothing will bulk you or cause you to gain weight in a calorie deficit.
  • jonaswik77
    jonaswik77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I prefer just eating a couple hard boiled eggs instead of a protein shake. Keeps you full much longer and also adds good fats.
  • amesslice
    amesslice Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Arbonne Protein Shake Mix is my favorite. It comes in both chocolate and vanilla. It is also vegan!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I started using a protein powder about two years ago. I recognized that I wasn't reaching my daily protein goals through food and decided to incorporate a protein powder. An added benefit for me was that now I eat much more fresh fruits and veg because I make smoothies.

Anyway, there are so many reasons and variations to go with a certain kind. I started with Spirutien because someone introduced me to it, I liked the taste and it was easy to get in my local grocery store. For other personal reasons, I switched to Garden of Life, Raw Protein which I really like: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Protein-Grams/dp/B0031JK96C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360783666&sr=8-1&keywords=Garden+of+Life+Raw+organic

Here are some sources to get your started:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/protein-supplements (kinda have to dig through this one)

My suggestions would be to research different kinds of proteins, determine your goals (might be more that protein) then go sampling. Many stores sell the single packets, which is nice to try different brands, types and flavors. Good luck!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • vickiemurdockclark1
    Options
    Try Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate Dutch Chocolate or Natural Vanilla...they taste good and won't make you gag! Also, if you use protein powders make sure it is Whey Isolate Protein because they have very low levels of carbohydrates and fat and are almost exclusively pure protein. I use Silk Chocolate Milk and regular Silk milk in mine: 1 level scoop to one cup but you can use water or milk, although I recommend skim milk.

Whey powder won't make you blow up in terms of muscles: that is a myth. I have been using Whey for years and I don't look like the Terminator. Women don't produce enough testosterone to gain muscle mass like that, unless they are using steroids and are professional weightlifters.

Some people use Whey drinks as a food substitute: I don't recommend that because when you work out your body is going to burn the Whey protein which means you have very few calories left, your body needs nutrition. I use Whey Powder every other day and I have a breakfast that consists of Cheerios, Silk Milk or the occasional pancake...I pretty much eat what I want because the key to food management and weight loss is serving size.

Hope this helps, have a great day! Best Wishes and...
    Warmest Regards,
    Vickie