Upper back pain from squatting with bar

Options
I love doing squats but lately I've been experiencing pain on my upper spine (right below the neck area) from the pressure of the weight bar. If a bar with a pad is around, I definitely go for it, but if not, I fold up my face towel and put it underneath the bar. Still, with both of those cushions, I end up with the same sore back pain. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions to make squatting in the squat rack less painful? I know one of the main mistakes people make is having the bar too high up on their neck but I've been making sure that I don't make this same error, so I'm not sure what else it could be.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have protruding vertebrae and need to be careful. You can try the bar a little lower on your back, but then have to be careful about your shoulders. I guess you can work your Traps hard and build up a cushion! :wink:
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yea I was going to say I have less of that problem because my traps are bigger. I can understand if that isn't something you're looking for lol. So instead, you can try to use whatever trapezius muscles you have and use your shoulders to kind of support the bar wherever it is laying on your back. Modell's or ****s Sporting Goods may have bar cushions that you could purchase too. At least I can't imagine they wouldn't...
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    How close is your grip?... Hard to say without seeing it, but, a wide grip could cause that issue. You should be squeezing your blades back and gripping as tight together as you can.

Maybe you can get someone to spot something besides your *kitten* next time your squatting and ask if they see anything out of order.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Put the bar down lower on your back. Pinch your shoulder blades together, push your chest out, and it will make a natural shelf for the bar to sit on. You can then bring your hands in closer and lock your elbows in tight so it makes a firm platform for holding the bar, You won't have to grip the bar really hard, your hands will just keep the bar in place.

You definitely don't want it sitting up so high that it is hitting the vertabrae on your neck. Skip the pad/towel- proper bar placement is the answer.

This is what I mean:
    barplacement_zpsbc3b7dc1.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're probably positioning the bar too high on your back. It should be supported by your shoulder muscles. Move the bar down and stick your elbows way back. The pressure will be on your deltoids more.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yea I was going to say I have less of that problem because my traps are bigger. I can understand if that isn't something you're looking for lol. So instead, you can try to use whatever trapezius muscles you have and use your shoulders to kind of support the bar wherever it is laying on your back. Modell's or ****s Sporting Goods may have bar cushions that you could purchase too. At least I can't imagine they wouldn't...

OMFG.... I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY CENSORED THE WORD D*I*C*K'S SPORTING GOODS!!!! ****ING UNBELIEVABLE... THERE, CENSOR THAT!!! -_-
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Alright lower it goes. Though by the looks of it in the mirrors, it has been on my upper shoulder blades. Just need to find that lil sweet spot!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have to use an awkwardly close grip to keep that from happening.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The problem really might be in my grip, as I haven't been paying as much attention to that factor. Definitely going to adjust accordingly :) thanks!