How often should you lift weights?

Options
I keep getting different advice from people about how often I should work muscle groups. Some people tell me to work specifics (upper body, lower body, mid-section) once a week. Example - Mon - upper.... Wed - lower..... Fri - mid-section - Repeat next week.

But others tell me I can work each one every few days (with rest days in between).
Example:
Mon - upper and mid
Tues - lower
Wed - upper and mid
Thurs - lower
Fri - upper and mid
Sat - lower

There are so many studies out there and each one says their way is the correct way. I'm really not looking for right or wrong, just what works best for you all. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Also different people respond better to different kinds of training; volume training, HIT, the list goes on...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're new, lift 3x a week, following a novice protocol like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Working in splits is not ideal for beginners. Do 3 days a week of full body compounds, and transition into splits later on.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can do it however you want, as long as you don't work the same muscle group without about 48 hours of rest between.
    I workout my entire body every other day (48 hours between) for 3 times a week. The 48 hours rest is so that your muscles can repair themselves and get stronger. When you lift weights, what you're doing is creating micro tears in the muscles When those heal, your muscles are stronger :)

-Edited for typo
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you're new, lift 3x a week, following a novice protocol like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.
    This. I would say I like those programs more then the 'muscle group each day' programs though I'm sort of doing one now. I would say the reason why some people say not to do one every day is if you're not fueling yourself or something isn't repaired by the time you use it again it can result in injuries. I'm one of those stuborn people who go on bouts of doing things every day. Not because I think it helps me progress (it totally does not) but because I just want to be there doing that at the time.
  • Montanarush
    Options
    just starting out, 3 times a week, every other day. when you get used to it and in better shape a six day split is good just dont overdo it or its worthless to you. work the same body parts every other day.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    5 days a week. 30 mins eliptical/treadmill and 25-30 mins weights. That's just me though =)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Just once, then put them down again. If you keep lifting you'll never reach them again. :laugh:

I joke, of course, you've got some great advice here.
  • chandratro
    Options
    "5 days a week. 30 mins eliptical/treadmill and 25-30 mins weights. That's just me though =) "

Me too - - and I have heard you are supposed to do weights every other day - - but is that just if you are in to serious body building? I feel like doing the weights everyday works for me...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and the intensity at which you lift.

Personally my best results were hitting each muscle group very hard once a week.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I try to lift 4-5 times a week using Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.

Check it out and see what you think!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-2.html
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    "5 days a week. 30 mins eliptical/treadmill and 25-30 mins weights. That's just me though =) "

Me too - - and I have heard you are supposed to do weights every other day - - but is that just if you are in to serious body building? I feel like doing the weights everyday works for me...

You need to allow muscles a rest day after a strength training workout.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I currently follow Stronglifts 5x5 which is designed for 3 times per week. The other days I do cardio, with one full rest day per week.

I once went to a trainer who said to alternate pulling and pushing, i.e. rows, biceps, lat pull downs, pullups, deadlifts, etc. one day; bench, triceps, pushups, squats, overhead press, etc. the next. Anyone know if there is any merit to this?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Twice a week, or every 5 days from an article I read from Lyle McDonald.
    Depending on how you split up your exercises, you could potentially do it 5 days a week. But there's very little reason to not condense to a three day workout. Look at the structure of programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and GSLP.

Most programs have you push and pull in the same session. I don't agree with bench + OHP on the same day though.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

The only people who really might benefit from one muscle group a day are high level body builders and even then it's questionable. Lyle McDonalds days it's not even great for the.

If you REALLY want to lift 4-6 days a week you can do upper/lower splits.