15 Nutrition Myths You Want to Know...

Options
13»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    There are so many people that could do with reading this - it belongs in the FAQ
  • missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tagging to read
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there is one “biggest” nutrition myth. There are a lot of myths, and each is just as misleading as the rest. Most of the myths aren’t life-threatening per se, but they can lead to compromised nutrition intake as a result.

Some of the nutrition myths that perpetuate the public today include:

Cholesterol from egg yolks being bad for your heart health
    Calorie counting (both that calories don’t count, and that they are more important than nutrition quality)
    Fiber being essential for healthy bowel movements
    There is one diet plan to suit every person on this planet (be it paleo, organic, low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, etc)
    That fat needs to be limited in the diet
    That increasing protein intake is the answer to all dieting woes
    Breakfast being important for everyone all the time
    Coffee is an unhealthy beverage
    Humans not being “designed” to drink cow’s milk
    Everything can be eaten in moderation

How is that a myth that you can eat everything in moderation?
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Nice link, thanks for that.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there is one “biggest” nutrition myth. There are a lot of myths, and each is just as misleading as the rest. Most of the myths aren’t life-threatening per se, but they can lead to compromised nutrition intake as a result.

Some of the nutrition myths that perpetuate the public today include:

Cholesterol from egg yolks being bad for your heart health
    Calorie counting (both that calories don’t count, and that they are more important than nutrition quality)
    Fiber being essential for healthy bowel movements
    There is one diet plan to suit every person on this planet (be it paleo, organic, low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, etc)
    That fat needs to be limited in the diet
    That increasing protein intake is the answer to all dieting woes
    Breakfast being important for everyone all the time
    Coffee is an unhealthy beverage
    Humans not being “designed” to drink cow’s milk
    Everything can be eaten in moderation

That is interesting! I can only guess that maybe she is talking about the people who think you can have a diet consisting of non nutritious foods, as long as eaten in moderation, without regards to macros/micros.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    love it !
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Damn I came in here for entertainment. Usually the "truth" or "myth" threads are full of fun little "facts". Instead I found an actual useful post. Thanks.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link! I enjoyed reading it.
    I actually went to her site to see if I can figure this out. I'm guessing it has something to do with her struggles with IBS and discovery of FODMAPs foods. http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/Low+FODMAP+diet+has+been+great+for+my+gut/
    Remember: every person is going to be bit different, so some foods may be great for you to avoid, while others only have to be minimized.
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great read!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I thought this was interesting from Cassandra Forsythe.
    Oftentimes, constipation is more of a function of foods that contain poorly digestible carbohydrates that cause fermentation in the gut, leading to gas and gut dysmotility. Foods that contain these types of carbs have been coined FODMAPS, due to their content of “Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols”. These include wheat, beans, and apples, to just name a few. And, these are often foods people turn to (like whole wheat bread) to combat constipation. But, it backfires and they wonder why their symptoms have gotten worse.