Best HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I just received the suunto m2 today and will be trying it out. Was pretty easy to set up and seems basic for what I'm lookin for. I was not happy with the polar I had which was ft4. I think was defective:(
  • 1980karen
    1980karen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! It looks like a polar ft4 / ft7. Will start searching the net for the best deals!
    I was thinking of wearing it mainly when running so should be ok.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You can disagree all you want, doesn't make me wrong.

HRMs are designed for and thus most accurate during steady state cardio. The less steady state the exercise is (classes, intervals, etc), the less accurate it's going to be. Also, the less cardio the exercise is (lifting), the less accurate it's going to be be.
    [/quote]

So is there a solution for someone who wants to know calories burned in a class or just walking for example? something more accurate than guesstimates?
  • adream213
    adream213 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 (husband) and Polar FT40 (me)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Polar is a good place to start.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you do much running or biking outside look into getting a watch w/ GPS also. I have the Garmin forerunner 210 and it has HRM and GPS so it tracks my distance, pace, elevation, calories etc etc plus when I load the data to the Garmin Connect website I shows my map and also lets you manage all your data and set goals. LOVE IT.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT 7 and I can change the batteries myself! Watch for this as some have batteries that you can't change.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump. because I think my hrm is lying to me and want to know how to most accurately guestimate.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I <3 my polar ft7
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You can disagree all you want, doesn't make me wrong.

HRMs are designed for and thus most accurate during steady state cardio. The less steady state the exercise is (classes, intervals, etc), the less accurate it's going to be. Also, the less cardio the exercise is (lifting), the less accurate it's going to be be.

So is there a solution for someone who wants to know calories burned in a class or just walking for example? something more accurate than guesstimates?

no, not really. HRMs are just estimates, and it's really a crapshoot as the whether or not it'll be more accurate than any other estimate.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    HRMs are no more accurate than taking your pulse every 10 minutes during your cardio and calculating an average across the whole session, in fact that is probably going to be more accurate than the HRM! Then work out your likely calorie burn from a formula on-line.

Even then it's just a guess-timate.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options

If you already have a HRM use it, then compare it to sites online - including MFP (preferably that ask for your age, sex, height and weight - http://nutrition.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Calories-Burned-Today) and see what kind of average you come up with.
  • coz1979
    coz1979 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have a beurer pm 25 hrm its great its accurate and it tells me how much fat and calories ive burnt :)
  • gs1941
    gs1941 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just bought the POLAR FT40 & I used it yesterday for the first time..it is absolutely amazing!!!