yoga

Options
Does anybody know of a good beginner DVD for yoga? I want to try to get into yoga? I know nothing about youga and want to learn and try to get into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help .

Leslie

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie! I can't recommend any good videos, but what I would strongly recommend is that if you have never practiced yoga you look into a beginner's class. I recommend this so that you can be sure you are doing the postures properly. You can really hurt yourself by doing them with poor alignment, and that is something that only an experienced instructor would be able to help you with.

I practice yoga regularly, and have for a number of years. It is something I really, really love!
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% that you need to find a good yoga instructor who will show you the correct postures in order to benefit from them, I have only been doing yoga for a couple ofyears but it is just the best, and I like the instructors who have been doing it for years and really enhance the meditation etc......good luck
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am going to add another recommendation to find a studio in your area and see if they have beginner classes. Much better than trying to learn through a DVD. Also, meditation is one of the most beneficial parts of the class, and it's hard to get that from a DVD.
  • daringgreatly21
    Options
    Hi! My family owns a yoga studio so yoga has always been a huge part of my life. I agree that there is nothing like going to a heated class full of other people, especially a beginners class if you are new. If not, there is a great website (Yogavibes.com) where you can buy classes for cheap amounts from different studios. That way you are in the class without being in it. If you live in the Philly area I can help with actual studios!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know of a good beginner DVD for yoga? I want to try to get into yoga? I know nothing about youga and want to learn and try to get into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help .

Leslie

Try some freebies. Theres a lot of good stuff On Demand, Netflix, Youtube...
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    LuLu lemon shops offers free yoga classes
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie, agree that a class is the way to go, but Barbara Currie has been around for years, and I use her dvd' if I can't get to my class. She's very good and easy to follow. Good luck:smile:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Go to a studio. First classes are usually free. I tried starting yoga using a DVD years ago and HATED it. I finally went to a Bikram class last year and fell in love. I now do Bikram and power yoga 3-4 days a week. You can't tell if you're in the proper positions if you do a video... plus every video I have purchased is really cheesy and gives yoga a bad name. Go to a studio... you will love it!
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yoga Zone DVDs are good in my opinion. While it is not the same as a class they do explain the postures and breathing technique quite well. I am not sure but I think they are on You Tube if you want to look before you buy.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Leslie

Yogaworks Beginners am/pm DVD - it's excellent!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/burnout-bliss

If you can't get to a class, check out this free website ..... I love the girl doing "Burnout to Bliss" !

Namaste !