Marathon Bound - Training Approach?

Options
dsjohndrow
dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
I decided that I am going to run one marathon before I die. I have a dozen 5Ks, a half dozen 10Ks and a 1/2 marathon completed. The one that I would like to do is 27 weeks away. I have 3 1/2 Marathons scheduled between now and then which gives me 24 training weeks and probably 22 if I take some time off after the bigger races.

I will be 55 and I have a solid year of running behind me. I have had some injuries, but they all seem to be under control with my current running schedule of:
M: ST Circuit
T: 5 miles
W: ST Circuit
TR: 7 miles
F: Rest (2 mile walk)
S: Long Run where I am back up to 10 this Saturday. I also do two days of circuit training
SN: Cross-train

I guess I am asking, how would you do it? At the moment I am thinking of upping my long run by a mile every week except the race weekends. My 7 mile runs includes hills, the 5-miler does too, but nothing too intense. The long runs always include the 7-mile run plus the balance on flatter roads.

Replies

• tzur21
    tzur21 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have run two marathons, the most recent being two weeks ago. I am a slow runner- ran them in about 5 hours. My goal was simply to finish I ran 3, 4 mile runs during the week, a 3 mile jog on Sat (which I skipped sometimes), and then my long run on Sundays. I inched my way up to 22 miles 3 weeks before race day and then tapered down.

I work full time and have 4 kids- so that is about all I could fit in.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    I have run two marathons, the most recent being two weeks ago. I am a slow runner- ran them in about 5 hours. My goal was simply to finish I ran 3, 4 mile runs during the week, a 3 mile jog on Sat (which I skipped sometimes), and then my long run on Sundays. I inched my way up to 22 miles 3 weeks before race day and then tapered down.

I work full time and have 4 kids- so that is about all I could fit in.
    So you did 4-4-4-3-LR? I guess that is about the same mileage I would do per week.

Congratulations, BTW!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest another rest day in there, or mild aerobic for upper body after long run day, like swimming. Perhaps that's what you mean by cross-train on Sunday, which is great.
    If not, you'll just run yourself down and risk injury or sickness, which you don't want at this point.
    You'll have to decide what the focus is. Jack of all trades master of none is not what you want at this time.

Here's example training schedule with much less time to get ready.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales?month=201210

1 mile extra each week might work if you also lower that 7 mile run down. 10% increase weekly is recommended to keep injury free, though you'll see from my schedule you can get around that.

I'd make Thr hilly run shorter like 5 miles, but more intense on each uphill like sprints, and easy recovery on the other side. Since followed by rest day, great day for intense effort.
    Make the Tue 5 mile upper aerobic level to still train the fat burning system, which you'll need for marathon to be working great. Half marathon you can get by without it no problem.
    Then long run should be lower aerobic range to keep training it well, and make the long run not so stressful.

The other thing in my schedule you'll notice is a foot-time run, and a 24 hr distance triple run. Always found those invaluable for confirming everything will go alright.

And yes you'll want some recovery time after the half's, and might I suggest good taper on week going up to them, as well as eating closer and closer to maintenance as the run approaches. No need to worry about carbo-loading for something so short, but no need to be below max storage either.
  • tzur21
    Options
    YES, 4-4-4-3-LR. Thank you! What Marathon are you thinking of doing? I am like you- have run MANY 5ks, about 6 half marathons, but have little experience with the full. I may never do it again- who knows.

My first was the Disney Marathon in January of 2012, the second was Rock and Roll in DC 3/16/13. VERY different experiences.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I would recommend picking a training plan and following it. In the past I have winged it and I believe sold myself short.
  • tzur21
    Options
    Good point- I always like Hal Higdons, Cool Runnings, Marathon Rookie, or Jeff Galloway. I look at them all- then pick and choose what I think will work for me. But I stick to my plan.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    Good point- I always like Hal Higdons, Cool Runnings, Marathon Rookie, or Jeff Galloway. I look at them all- then pick and choose what I think will work for me. But I stick to my plan.

All of the training plans seem to be too aggressive for me. 10% should probably be closer to 5%. Every time I get on one of these 12 or 14 week plans, I get hurt. What is working now is running every other day. I get a rest from it. My circuit includes a mile or two for warm up on the treadmill and a cool down. Cross-training is biking (which aggravates my knee if I push it, ice skating or rollerblading which uses the hips a lot more and goes easier on the calves.

I guess I could take a 12 week plan and double it. At the moment, I would feel comfortable running for 2:30 which is about 15-16 miles for me.
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    YES, 4-4-4-3-LR. Thank you! What Marathon are you thinking of doing? I am like you- have run MANY 5ks, about 6 half marathons, but have little experience with the full. I may never do it again- who knows.

My first was the Disney Marathon in January of 2012, the second was Rock and Roll in DC 3/16/13. VERY different experiences.

I was thinking the Baystate because it is close to home and I might get someone to come watch me finish. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Having a training plan is good, Runners World Smart Coach is free, i think, and pretty decent.
    My last plan was a 18 week schedule 3 weeks on, one week off (only 20-ish easy miles, no tempo or speed), with 3 weeks of tapering. I would run 20 miles 3 times.

Each week would be
    S- Long run
    M- rest/active recovery
    T- Recovery run (6 miles usually, as little as 4 or up to 8)
    W- Hill repeats or trail run
    T - ST
    F- Speed work or tempo run
    S- ST

Edited to say I increase long run distances by 2 miles each week, but overall mileage by only 10%.

My long run schedule would look something like 10-12-14-6-12-14-16-6-16-18-20-6-20-18-20-12-8-marathon
  • kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Higdon 30 week novice marathon. It's a combo plan that spends the 12 weeks building SLOWLY from 1.5 miles to 6 miles and then you work into the beginner marathon for the last 18 weeks. I despised running and I've been pretty successful with that plan.....we'll see how successful in another 6 weeks. :happy:
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    Thanks for the info so far. I have been doing a blended beginner/intermediate plan. I love to run and i would run 5 days a week if I could, but the joints needs rest.