C25K Problems?

barbola
barbola Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have tried the C25K twice and can only get through the first week before my shins are hurting extremely bad. They will even stay sore to the touch for about 3 to 4 weeks, I have gotten better shoes, do a lot more warm ups and stretches and still was having the same problem. I was running on a track or on the treadmill. Lately I have started walking in the neighborhood between my gym days and I try and add a short jog, I don't have as much shin problems like that just the normal calf soreness. What is the deal you would think concrete is harder to run on than a soft track or treadmill. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    It's supposed to be rougher for you to run outside then on a treadmil. What kind of shoes are you buying? How supportive are they? I use to have the same exactly problem. It use to hurt my shins to even walk on a treadmil. I bought some expensive but very supportive shoes and haven't had hardly any problems ever since!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    When you are running on softer surfaces you are likely heal striking far more, causing shin issues. When you run on harder surfaces, your body is more likely to correct your form and cause less shin issues. You can look up Pose Method or ChiRunning to get a better idea on good running form.

Good Luck.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Because you have been basically using a treadmill your legs will need to get used to the concrete impact. Treadmills give way. Have you ever noticed how much they bounce when poeple/yourself are on them?

If you can, try to stick to asphalt. It's more porous and gives way a little bit more than cement (sidewalks). Massaging your legs for 10 minutes after you work out can decreased pain in 49% of people the next time they worked out. (I just read all this in my Fitness Mag)

I understand what you are going through. My shins have been hurting since I started doing my "Biggest Loser" dvd. I have pushed through the pain and I even ran 2 miles on Sunday.. I don't think my pain is as bad as yours though, but I have not been using a treadmill. My pain bothers me, but not to the point I can't work out.

Good luck.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    You should try a foot specialty store to be sure the shoes are really right for you. Expensive, but well worth it if you have shin splints. Also try wrapping your shins with ace bandages after they have healed to give them additional support. If all else fails you may have to take a break from the pavement and treadmilii and turn to a pool. I just got over shin splints, and I swear I thought I had somehow fractured my bone and didn't realize it, that's how much pain I was in! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. So give yourself the right shoes, give yourself time to heal and then give yourself some added support. I found while I was waitinf for my shins to heal I really enjoyed swimming laps, and my stomach shrunk and inch in two weeks!!! So now I swim and run and I'm feeling healthier each day!! Keep at it, it will work out:heart:
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    A couple of years ago, I trained for a 1/2 marathon and had major shin pain, and hip pain. My doctor recommended an ice bath about 5-10 minutes after I finished my run. (Which was excruciating in itself..haha) If you are just having shin issues try just using an ice pack for about 10 minutes after your run. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.